What if Lalo Schiffrin composes Bond 23 or the next ones?

edited July 2011 in Skyfall Posts: 669
It's known that David Arnold is composing the Bond films since 1997. His work was very good for TND and TWINE, but later, it really turned down (until GoldenEye 2010 Game). I've heard lots of works from Lalo Schiffrin's gallery and I loved it. So, he's old now. Before he passes out, I want to see him composing a few Bond films. What do you think?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2011 Posts: 15,690
    David Arnold only did the theme song of GEWii...

Lalo Schiffrin could be good, but I prefer Michael Giacchino.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 669
    David Arnold only did the theme song of GEWii...

I've never heard of him, but I'll have a look to his gallery.

And also, who said that he only composed the main title? His suspense motif and parts of CR and QoS soundtracks were heard in the game. Kevin Kiner only did additional music for the project. Arnold did the main work.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2011 Posts: 15,690
    JamesBond : Medal of Honor Allied Assault/Frontline/Underground/Original/Airborn , Lost, Alias, Up, Ratatouille...
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited July 2011 Posts: 4,399
    this might not be a guy for Bond films, but i've always wondered how prominent video game composer Inon Zur would do on the big screen.... here is a sampling.. i absolutely love his work...

Fallout 3 main title theme

Men Of Valor

Crysis

Dragon Age main title theme

Run Like Hell

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I love Schiffrin but I'm not sure if Bond is his cup of tea. His theme to the classic movie, bullit is so badass.
    Anyway, I'd prefer Harry Gregson-Williams, his work for the metal gear solid games alone makes him more than a worthy contender. His music is distinct, has personality and pumping orchestral atmosphere.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited July 2011 Posts: 23,551
    I couldn't agree more! Giacchino is one of the few one can still rely on these days it seems. Schiffrin is welcome to compose the theme song, however. ;;)
    From what I know of recent Schifrin scores, I guess I wouldn´t mind.
    In fact, just a day ago, I was listening to Giacchino´s Incredibles score, thinking I would like to hear the adult version of it, which brought Schifrin to my mind. I haven´t heard anything from Giacchino that sounded "adult". That is my main problem with Giacchino.

• Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    From what I know of recent Schifrin scores, I guess I wouldn´t mind.
    In fact, just a day ago, I was listening to Giacchino´s Incredibles score, thinking I would like to hear the adult version of it, which brought Schifrin to my mind. I haven´t heard anything from Giacchino that sounded "adult". That is my main problem with Giacchino.
    Try checking out his scores for the TV spy show Alias (dark, moody and then incredibly brassy)...very very good and if that was for tV then he would do very well at Bond.

Lalo Schifrin - AWESOME!! MI, U.N.C.L.E, Dirty Harry, Bullitt etc great themes and a return to 60's cool! great choice!
    Try checking out his scores for the TV spy show Alias (dark, moody and then incredibly brassy)...very very good and if that was for tV then he would do very well at Bond.
    Thanks for the recommendations, they´re not bad. But compared to Schifrin, old (Bullit, Ditry Harry) or new (Rush Hour) stuff, I find Giacchino not so convincing.

• Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    I totally agree. Have you heard schifrins very respectful take on the bond theme? Sublime. However, would love to hear that improv dirty Harry sound applied to Bond. He is such an unsung hero of the scoring world, nice to this thread.
    I would love to hear brassy, serious but Lighter (as the classic ones) music. Such as the Incredibles, they were awesome or the pre-title music for Pink Panther 2 (2009 film). They had classic spy soul. I think Lalo Schiffrin is a perfect choice.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2011 Posts: 13,350
    At 79 years of age somehow I don't think Schifrin would be up to the task of scoring a Bond film, though a change from Arnold is as good as anything.
    At 79 years of age somehow I don't think Schifrin would be up to the task of scoring a Bond film, though a change from Arnold is as good as anything.
    Rather ageist wouldn't you say. I'd rather have one score of mr. Schifrin than another of DA's any day. The difference being sheer quality in scoring.

Rather ageist wouldn't you say. I'd rather have one score of mr. Schifrin than another of DA's any day. The difference being sheer quality in scoring.

Does anyone play "The Agency: Covert Ops" on Facebook? Has anyone heard the main theme? It's awesome!! I've downloaded the theme. If anyone wants to hear it, just send a mail. My email is written in my profile.
    How about Sean Callery of 24 fame, he also scored Everything or Nothing vgame. He is current, inventive and very experimental (or so his wife says..lol)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'd rather have one score of mr. Schifrin than another of DA's any day. The difference being sheer quality in scoring.
    As would I. It's just I only know one composer around Mr. Schifrin's age that is still actively working - John Williams. I don't think many people that age would have the energy required for a Bond score, especially when his last film was in 2007. I never said he couldn't do it, just that's he unlikely to be able to. If he can prove me wrong I'd hire him on the spot.
    I'd rather have one score of mr. Schifrin than another of DA's any day. The difference being sheer quality in scoring.
    As would I. It's just I only know one composer around Mr. Schifrin's age that is still actively working - John Williams. I don't think many people that age would have the energy required for a Bond score, especially when his last film was in 2007. I never said he couldn't do it, just that's he unlikely to be able to. If he can prove me wrong I'd hire him on the spot.
    My apologies for wrongly understanding your statement. Lets hope he'll find the energy and it will make his last score one to remember him by.

My apologies for wrongly understanding your statement. Lets hope he'll find the energy and it will make his last score one to remember him by.

I totally agree with that.