My Bond Chronology Theory

James Bond and chronology do not go hand in hand. We all know that. Yet many have theories on a connected timeline that creates the chronological order. The "James Bond is a Codename" was pretty popular until Skyfall came arond. Theres been plenty other ways of looking at it. Most choose to ignore it. After all, its not very important to the series.
My way of looking at it isnt really a theory at all, i guess, but i find that makes a series where in one movie roger moore is dressed in a clown suit and in another daniel craig is strangling a baddie in a bathroom sink, a little easier to watch together.

My way of looking at it is that each Bond actor exists within only his movies. This is already stated for Daniel Craig, as he exists within his own films only. But if you look at each Bond actor's series, and have that bond exist in his only his movies, its easier to understand.

It works well too, and makes things a little less nonsensical. Remember the scene in On her Majesty's secret service where Blofeld doesnt recognize Bond, despite the two meeting face to face in the last film?

With this point of view, this makes sense. Sean Connery met Blofeld in You Only Live Twice, but that was Sean Connery's Bond. Lazenby's Bond has never met Blofeld. After all, the film plays it off as if Bond hasnt been able to find Blofeld for some time.

This also clears up "Why doesn't Bond age?" Usually, a wiser Bond fan will reply "Bond is an ageless character." But I see it a different way. Bond does age! But only in his individual films. Roger Moore's Bond clearly does age from between the LALD and AVTAK. But Timothy Daltons Bond is not that same Bond, so he is young in TLD.

Finally, one issue someone might bring up is Tracy. She is clearly referenced in many different generations. How could she if only George Lazenby's Bond met her? Well, thats tough but I like to think that some Bonds share similar backgrounds. Some Bonds had met Tracy, some didnt. Tracy is hardly hinted to have existed in DAF. That is because Sean Connery's Bond never met Tracy. But perhaps, before the event of LALD, timothy dalton had met Tracy, and similar events played out, and as a result, shes mentioned in LTK. So perhaps some Bonds share similar backgrounds.

Thats just my thought on it. Im sure im not the only one to think of this, so don't get the "my theory" thing wrong XD. Id love to hear other peoples thoughts on this theory or theories of their own.

Or maybe im just overthinking a series about a spy who stops evil villians :P

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The producers have even said so themselves, each actor change is a mini-reboot.

I see the different areas as alternate realities, it is just fiction after all.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2015 Posts: 7,526
    3 Bonds:

Andrew James Bond (Sean Connery) worked for MI6 for Dr. No, FRWL, Goldfinger, Thunderball (Lets pretend DAF doesn't exist!). Retires to Scotland, buys Skyfall, marries Monique, keeps the DB5.

The name "James Bond" and "007" is kept for AJB's successor, played by Laz, Rog, Dalt and Broz, as a codename; these four actors all play the same character. While this is happening, AJB and Monique have and raise a son; James Bond, or Andrew James Bond Jr. (Daniel Craig). He travels extensively with his parents as they continue to do off-and-on contract work for the government. When he dies, he goes off to Oxford ("or wherever") and joins the Navy. In the second Bond's tenure, Olivia Mansfield becomes the new M and hires JB when the second Bond dies in North Korea (The ice palace and Madonna ridiculousness of DAD is all merely a fever dream brought on by scorpion poison and, of course, didn't happen ;) ;) ;) ). He keeps his real name.

This explains away some of the anomolies of the Daniel Craig era (Christ I miss the Cold War, Exploding Pen, why does Daniel's Bond have the GF DB5, etc, etc).

Just for fun guys! There are obviously things that shatter this theory, like Diamonds are Forever and Eve Moneypenny. No continuation theory can hold up to any amount of scrutiny. The truth is obviously that there is no continuity and what Thunderfinger said, but sometimes its fun to think about these things on a different level. :D
    I like to think that Sean and Lazenby exist in the same timeline. the fact that they do not recognize each other in OHMSS I just chalk it up as a plot flaw, or hole in the plot. We see this from time to time in our favorite films and TV shows, we just try and ignore it.

Would have liked to put Roger's Bond as seperate but then Tracy is mentioned in two of his films so we have to assume that Roger is the same character that Connery and Laz portrayed.
    I say the same for Dalton since his marriage is mentioned in LTK.

I daresay that Brozza's Bond did not exist in the earlier timelines. Like the producers tried to pretend that OHMSS events never took place when they did DAF, then there was a conscious attempt to wipe the slate clean from the events in Dalton's two films. Note how the PTS of GE is supposed to have been taking place in 1986, the time when Dalton was announced as the new 007. I think this was intended to pretend that TLD and LTK never happened and Brozza was actually a reboot of sorts.

With Craig's films we can wipe the slate clean. All the events of the previous 20 films never happened. Bond has just received his "00" status and he's off doing what Mi6 agents do.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    In 007 Everything or Nothing (The videogame.) Brosnan's Bond mentions he fought Max Zorin and fights Jaws a few times. ;)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Murdock wrote: »
    In 007 Everything or Nothing (The videogame.) Brosnan's Bond mentions he fought Max Zorin and fights Jaws a few times. ;)

Mine holds up :D