Essential elements of a Bond script

edited January 2015 in Fan Creations Posts: 4,600
I am 80% through completing my own Bond screenplay and looking forward to posting it for full peer review (I have a thick skin), and yes I have decent security to prevent hacks/leaks :-)
but its interesting to consider what are the absolute essentials for any successful Bond movie and what can be left out:
so far in no order of priority:
Gratuitous sex - check
Evil villain - check
Henchman - check
Main Bond girl - check
car chase - check
Meeting with Q - check
Assertive/abbrasive discussions with M - check
Climax with ticking clock and explosions - check
Pretitle sequence - check
Bond meeting villain in his "lair" - check
Multiple exotic locations - check
Bond car - check
Subtle references to previous movies - check
Flirting between Bond and Moneypenny - check
Gadgets (not too silly) - check
Quick humourouss scenes where Bond interacts with the public - check
Bond drinking cocktail - check
Bond running fast - check
Bond in vicious hand to hand fight - check
Secondary Bond girl - check

I have all of these but have I missed anything out, cheers

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Unless, I missed it on your list. Do you have a secondary Bond girl ?
    Perhaps a learning experience for 007.
    It sounds great. :) good luck with it.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 4,600
    sorry, yes, she is there, amended original post, thanks, you are spot on
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I would add:

-witty banter between 007 and villain with villain making the cardinal mistake of not killing Bond right away when he/she has the chance, but rather wasting time revelling in his grand plan and trying to create an interesting death for Bond. Best captured by Drax in MR: " Mr. Bond, you persist in defying my efforts to provide an amusing death for you. ..."

-wonderful cinematography

-a scene with Bond using his spy skills, snooping on something to further the plot or gain some advantage

-I would delete the Bond car and car chase (not essential IMO). A chase is essential though.

-I would not add the Bond watch (cliche that has been used to death in the 90's sadly)

-sadly IMO, an essential element in the recent past has been some sort of betrayal from within or from close to home
    With the watch, just make it the classic Rolex. ( or Omega) ;)
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 4,600
    thanks, cinematography not there, beyond remit of screenplay IMHO,
    Villain not killing Bond when he can has always bugged me so I have written in a motivation for letting him go but yes, that scene is there on many occasions
    no watch I am afraid
    interesting re the car chase
    no betrayal but something similar
  • You could do with a double taking pigeon, a puzzled dog and maybe Bond in a silly outfit in your script.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Have him with a regular tough watch he uses as a knuckle duster. Make it brutal, alas the ohmss novel
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    You need an invisible car, Bond turning Japanese, Bond surfing on a tidal wave, karate school girls and the return of Jay Dubya Pepper, and you're all set :D
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Make that a tsunami wave;)
    JD Pepper and a double taking pigeon in an invisible car, surfing a tsunami
  • RC7RC7
    edited January 2015 Posts: 10,512
    patb wrote:

Nah.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    patb wrote: »
    JD Pepper and a double taking pigeon in an invisible car, surfing a tsunami

And a slide whistle while the car surfs the tsunami ;)

• It would be a pleasure to read your fan fiction script. For me there are no so many essentials, maybe only: Evil villain, hot Bond babes, any kind of chase, the pretitle sequence, some exotic locations, some kind of fight... and a gun barrel + title credits mention.

thanks for the feedback, like most things in life, you only find out how hard it is when you try and do it.
    Please do, I've tried my hand at an odd bit of fan fiction ( very bad, very short)
    But have seen some great examples from more talented fans. So stick with it
    I'm sure many would give an honest critique, without being nasty !
    Who knows you could be MI6s own J K Rowling. ;) good luck .
  • DariusDarius UK
    patb wrote:
    I am 80% through completing my own Bond screenplay and looking forward to posting it for full peer review (I have a thick skin), and yes I have decent security to prevent hacks/leaks :-)
    but its interesting to consider what are the absolute essentials for any successful Bond movie and what can be left out:
    so far in no order of priority:
    Gratuitous sex - check
    Evil villain - check
    Henchman - check
    Main Bond girl - check
    car chase - check
    Meeting with Q - check
    Assertive/abbrasive discussions with M - check
    Climax with ticking clock and explosions - check
    Pretitle sequence - check
    Bond meeting villain in his "lair" - check
    Multiple exotic locations - check
    Bond car - check
    Flirting between Bond and Moneypenny - check
    Gadgets (not too silly) - check
    Quick humourouss scenes where Bond interacts with the public - check
    Bond drinking cocktail - check
    Bond running fast - check
    Bond in vicious hand to hand fight - check
    Secondary Bond girl - check

I have all of these but have I missed anything out, cheers

Hi patb,

It seems you have all the boxes ticked, but don't you think you may be heading for a somewhat clichéd movie? I have a fair bit of pro experience in this department, and the trick is to (in Ezra Pound's words) "make it new". For instance, in OHMSS, Bond gets married; in CR, he falls in love and resigns; In SF, he becomes an alcoholic wreck. These movies are regarded widely as the best in the canon because they dare to be different, and it is this that separates a movie that puts the audience to sleep with one that has them rapt and on the edge of their seats. If you do a "by the numbers" script, the audience will switch off after page five because they've been there, done that and have, quite literally in some cases, got the T shirt.

To produce the "gotta know what happens next" factor, essential to movie sequences utilising the same main protagonist (Bond), you need to motivate him to do something he's never done before. Such as:

1. Show Bond demonstrating genuine fear for the nemesis character. Something like this deepens and humanises Bond whilst making the nemesis more believable and scary at the same time.

2. Show Bond trying to solve a serious life-threatening problem stripped of his "deux ex machina gadgets". In my opinion, the weakest part of CR plot-wise, is where Bond is poisoned by digitalis and conveniently happens to have the antidote and a defibrillator handy. Although the defibrillator is briefly foreshadowed, this still a very sloppy bit of plotting that robs the scene of most of its suspense. Another example is in MR when Bond is strapped inside a centrifuge and... whatya know? He just happens to have the right gadget strapped to his wrist.

3. Bond finds that M is really a double agent or a mole working for North Korea and has to in some way neutralise or even kill M, even though M is, in Fleming's words, " the only man Bond loved". Remember M is a father figure to Bond, so a plot like this creates loads of dramatic tension in the emotional dynamic of the story. Good drama is about characters in conflict, either with themselves or with others. It also fulfils the "how the hell will he resolve this one?" factor.

4. Bond is disgraced, loses his job and becomes unemployed. Now no one in the intelligence community will touch him. What happens next? Maybe this is a big set-up?

5. Bond is set up (framed) by the nemesis character who then blackmails him.

And so on.

Remember you have to be both inventive and original. Anyone can write a "cookie-cutter" script, but that's not you, right?

A couple of other things:

Do not, under any circumstances, mention branded products or make suggestions of actors to play the roles. If you do, you will be regarded as over-presumptuous and your script will go straight in the bin. This is the job of the production staff who have to make these decisions according to the budget they have managed to negotiate. It is your job to create the original characters, write the story and nothing else.
    thanks for this, appreciate the feedback, will be finished soon, fancy a read?
    (PS I have reversed one Bond convention and do have a plot twist)
  • DariusDarius UK
    Yes, indeed. But I suggest you finish first. One the cardinal rules of any kind of writing is is don't let anyone see it until you're really satisfied it's finished. I look forward to it.
    The return of Blofeld is all I'm after! Just hope he comes back in Spectre.