NASA Space Shuttle

edited July 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 1,143
On the eve (weather permitting) of the last ever Shuttle launch, I'll be marking the occasion with a viewing of Moonraker. The iconic space vehicle famously starred in Moonraker in 1979, yet in reality the first operational flight of the space shuttle occurred in 1982.

How long will it be before NASA have a replacement spacecraft that can journey to space? Could Bond ever return to space and would you like to see this happen in a future Bond movie or for his feet to be kept firmly planted on the ground?

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    How long will it be before NASA have a replacement spacecraft that can journey to space?
    Could Bond ever return to space and would you like to see this happen in a future Bond movie or for his feet to be kept firmly planted on the ground?
    i am very split on this... while it's an area that hasn't been exposed enough by Bond - it's a location that comes with a bit of a red mark, because of Moonraker.... if done in a believable way, and not cheesy, with space laser battles - then maybe...... but i would prefer it to have Bond stay firmly on the ground.

I agree haserot. I find it hard to conceive a time when Bond could re-visit space without the comparison to Moonraker and the probability of it being too cheesy and far fetched. However if done in a believable, plausible way then, it could be an interesting plot opportunity.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    edited July 2011 Posts: 642
    In a slight reworking of all those nefarious satellite story lines we've seen (dad should never had tried to recreate daf) how about bond has to reach the satellite of sorts before it unleashes hell and at the end of the movie has to race against time before it fires? I know Armageddon has seen the same but Bond need only go there if there is a thrilling and suspenseful third reel nothing less. We have had EMP's, solar powered laser nonsense but how about a space program that mirrors OHMSS..a sting of satellites (angels of death) that fire signals that influences minds to act in a certain way? Uprisings for example?? A chance for Bond to literally save the world and it's stability.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    In a slight reworking of all those nefarious satellite story lines we've seen (dad should never had tried to recreate daf) how about bond has to reach the satellite of sorts before it unleashes hell and at the end of the movie has to race against time before it fires?
    reminds me of the ending to the game Nightfire.

i've always said that using the missile defense system turned into a weapon (like in the novel of Moonraker) would make for an interesting plot... sure, it was kinda-sorta done with DAD, but that was a giant laser - not a more grounded and believable defense network of missiles..... i dont know, just a thought.