OHMSS 1968 Aston Martins

2»

Comments

• edited May 2016 Posts: 12,837
    bondjames wrote: »
    I wish they had used this model more often, rather than going back to the overexposed GF DB5 over and over again. I'd take this one in a heartbeat over that. I even much prefer Roger's Lotus to the GF DB5.

I agree @bondjames, the overuse of the DB5 is just lazy imo. Someone on here posted about how they should be creating new icons instead of wheeling out the old ones time and time again, and I agree. Otherwise what sort of legacy are the modern Bond films going to have left in 50 years time? Nobody's going to say "hey remember that iconic scene in Skyfall where he uses Sean Connery's car?". But people still remember the ejector seat and everything from GF even now.

That's one of the reasons I loved the DB10 so much actually. Not only did it have the sleek new design (which I much prefer to the new DB11) but the fact that it was made exclusively for Bond will make it memorable. It doesn't exist outside of the series. Probably won't become iconic on the level of the DB5 but the fact that they had a new Aston designed just for the film means that they're at least trying to create new icons.

I've had this debate about the DB5 a few times on here, and the defense I usually saw was "it's Bond's car". Which doesn't make sense to me. It was Bond's car in two films back in the 60s. It wasn't the first or the last Bond car, and it wasn't the car that Fleming intended him to drive. It was the most iconic but that's no excuse for them using it time and time again from GE onwards. Cubby never saw the need to use it again so I'm not sure why EON keep allowing it now.

I'm actually going to do the unthinkable and defend DAD now. Because as much as that film shoehorned in references to past Bond films, it did at least attempt to create it's own iconic moments and sequences (unfortunately most of them are remembered for the wrong reasons). The invisible car was dumb but at least Tamahori tried to come up with something new instead of deciding "it's the anniversary so lets put him in the DB5 again, complete with all the gadgets no matter how little sense that makes in the context of the story".

Also agree on the Lotus. That's probably my favourite Bond car. It doesn't have the elegance or the timeless appeal of the Aston Martin's but that slick 70s sports car look is actually part of its charm imo. If I could choose one Bond car to own then I wouldn't pick the Lotus but in the context of the film series it's my favorite one, if that makes sense.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Don't forget....the latter DBS/5109/R was also used in "Diamonds Are Forever":
    Aston-Martin-in-Diamonds-are-Forever.jpg

You know in all the years I've watched DAF I've never realised until now that that was the same car as Bond drove in the previous OHMSS! That must be one of the very few references to the Lazenby film in DAF.
    Well guys I finally got the scale1:18 Aston Martin DBS from Cult yes it base on Roger Moore The Persuaders Lord Sinclair mobile. I got the Minichamps when they On Her Majesty Secret Service James Bond DBS & reddish colour DBS both from Minchamps. Also the Corgi version of DBS with Roger Moore figure. Still the box. Well I finally got what I was waiting for. Check Cult diecast in http://www.cultmodels.com
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    That's very nice @Agent7F, I could be mistaken, but it doesn't look like the doors/bonnet/boot open though. I used to collect model cars, Vanguards was a good make for the smaller 1:43 scale models.