Bond game experience : Time travelling and reliving past events of the franchise as they happened...

2»

Comments

Have you seen the new adaption of Lion in Winter? That new guy, Dalton, would make a good Bond I think, though he looks a bit young for right now. He's pretty intense though and he even has the same big deep dimples as Connery!
    But I would miss Connery though... perhaps he could be lured back? The series is a success because of him, so it would totally be worth it.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    It's really sad. My wife is mortified and my son can't believe his hero is leaving the scene. It's understandable though, did anyone see that Alan Whicker documentary he other night? The press mob in Japan was obscene, even cubby broccoli was annoyed about the attention. Who's going to replace him? I may out of place here but has anyone seen that timothy dalton in The Lion In Winter? He looks good...young...bit good. :-)
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Have you seen the new adaption of Lion in Winter? That new guy, Dalton, would make a good Bond I think, though he looks a bit young for right now. He's pretty intense though and he even has the same big deep dimples as Connery!
    But I would miss Connery though... perhaps he could be lured back? The series is a success because of him, so it would totally be worth it.
    lol. I was typing as you posted that! Great minds mate, great minds.:-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2011 Posts: 15,694
    Alright mates, let's move on.....

Australian unknown George Lazenby has been cast as the new Bond for the upcoming Bond film.

This will be the first acting role of his career.

So... No-one predicted this... No one even knew Lazenby before this news... What do you think of that, fellow Bond fans ?? Will he be a good Bond for the next 4/5 outings in the upcoming decade?
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 4,813
    Hmmmm, he does look good, and he's pretty young but not too young. If they're serious about having this Bond series last, I wonder if they intend to get a new actor every decade? Could be cool...
    The big question though: can he act? Seems this guy Lazenby was a model from what I've read..
    Too bad about Connery... I was hoping they were going to surprise us, and he didn't quit after all.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Who the hell is George Lazenby? He seems to look a bit like Sean Connery but he doesn't have the sophistication the Connery has... maybe this is a joke and Sean Connery will be in the upcoming film. That seems unlikely though... let's see if he is good as 007 and hopefully he will last a long time due to his young age. Let's see how the cast for the film ranks up, will it have big stars or all unknown. I hope Benard Lee and Lois Maxwell returns :D
  • Hmm...could be a good choice. I still think it's a mistake to try making the films without Connery - I foresaw the series quickly ending with a whimper if they tried - but I'm starting to come around. One thing that I really like is that they cast an unknown instead of someone who is already a star. That will help with thinking of the guy as "Bond", instead of the guy you've already seen in a bunch of other films.

I can't comment on this guy's screen presence (how do you pronounce his last name?) as I haven't seen him act, but to get a role like Bond he must be really gifted. I'm guessing the producers see that this guy has the presence, the acting chops, and the charisma to be "the next big thing" and scooped him up before any other production could. I doubted they could catch lightning in a bottle twice and find another proto-star like Connery but I guess I was wrong.

I still don't think that he'll be AS good as Connery - it's unlikely anyone could be - but I'm at least feeling a lot more hopeful about this film now.
    Oh my God what are Saltzman and Broccoli thinking? Arguably the most popular actor of the decade leaves his signature role and they replace him with a male model. If he's never acted how is he supposed to capture that commanding presence Connery had. Of all the great actors and would-be James Bonds I just can't believe that this guy was the best choice.

Compare this legendary pic
    http://www.cinemaisdope.com/news/films/fromrussiawithlove/from_russia_with_love_1.jpg

to this silliness
    http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/s96024/Sep20286.jpg

Maybe theres some sort of conspiracy to kill the Bond franchise. I hope Im wrong about this guy.

And its pronounced Lazz-an-bee.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I just had the check my calendar, turns out that it isn't April Fools Day. I hope that this is either a bad joke, or that he doesn't stay for too many films.
  • I wanted that Roger Moore guy who played "The Saint" to replace Connery, although I'm still really mad that Sean isn't going to be Bond anymore. This Lazenby has the Bond type look about him. Let's see if he can talk the talk and walk the walk.
  • Yes, he's a model but it's not like being a model is a guarentee that someone can't act...I mean, let's be serious. They wouldn't have followed Connery with this Lazenby fellow (thanks DoubleOhhSeven) unless he was as good an actor (or nearly) as Connery, or having roughly the same amount of presence or charisma as Connery. While I still don't think the series will hit the heights of popularity that it did with Connery I'm thinking now that maybe we'll get another three films out of the series with Lazenby before it winds down. Which is a pretty incredible run for any film series! We should be grateful that we could end up with 8 films - that's a pretty incredible achievement.
  • DB5DB5
    I've heard a rumor that Diana Rigg (Emma Peel from "The Avengers") is in the running as the lead Bond girl. I think she would totally overshadow this Lazenby chap. Although to be honest, I'd probably go to the movie just to see her. That woman is really easy on the eyes, if you know what I mean!
  • What?!
    - This George guy is plain ugly, has never had a film experiance, is unknown!
    What were the producers thinking?!

I think, Bond fans that this is the end of a legendary screen hero :'(
    Where've you been DB5? She was cast before Lazenby was. From what I understand she even screentested with potential actors. She's a good choice but I think her casting was totally overshadowed by the search for the new Bond. In the novel On Her Majesty's Secret Service, her character marries Bond. But I doubt they'll go that diresction. She'll probably just be another Bond girl. Afterall the continuity is all screwed up as You Only Live Twice was supposed to be a direct follow-up to this film.
  • DB5DB5
    Thanks for the update DoubleOhhSeven, that's really great news! Haven't read the book so I don't know much about the character she's going to play. But if her character is anything like Mrs. Peel I'll definitey pay the $1.50 to see the movie. I mean have you seen that woman in a cat suit? Two words: "ME OW!"
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited July 2011 Posts: 7,572
    Trust me, this is pure garbage. It's the producers trying to keep up interest in the franchise by throwing around any old crap. Seriously this Aussie will not be Bond.

I'm never wrong. \m/