Maybach has return

edited November 2014 in General Discussion Posts: 820
autoexpress.co.uk/mercedes/s-class/894801/ultra-luxurious-mercedes-maybach-s600-appears-in-la
You read in Autocar,Car Magazine & many other car web. Mercedes has revived Maybach.@Getafix & @CommanderRoss I see what you said that last time it failed but it has a chance to prove in market. Mercedes target their Luxury Maybach first in China. Where in Skyfall Bond drove Mercedes S-Class as hiring car. Let put it this way around the world including U.S U.K Europe & rest of the world it might have chance in sale. I may not afford one but I get the diecast model of it, Which I already have with the previous models. It may appear in movies. So Maybach & including Lagonda will compete Bentley & Rolls Royce. Maybach is also planning more models in the future. I hope if goes well Maybach is to stay forever.

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    I'm not a fan of this idea because they've just extended the S class (i.e. it's an S class pullman with some trimmings).

As far as I'm concerned the S class is the benchmark for Mercedes and should not be diminished in any way. If they wanted to go upmarket, they should have bought another brand.

Mercedes messed up big time in two ways IMO: first by not picking up Rolls or Bentley (what a mistake that was). Second by debasing their brand with the Smart car (remember the Moose). They should have just bought another brand (like BMW did with Mini) so that they would not have to debase Mercedes in any way.

They are my favourite car brand by far (grew up on them and drive them today although I strongly believe the peak was pre-1993 - i.e. before the introduction of the C class) but I am ashamed of the strategic mistakes this company has made along the way. While Shremp was making a fool of himself at Mercedes, Piech was creating a master company out of the VW brand by buying up and integrating everything under the sun.
    I've always found it hard to understand how any one can get excited about a Merc.
    In the old days it was all about the quality of the engineering which was beyond reproach and far better than anything in any other car. Built to last forever & built to a standard.

But not built to generate excitement by any means. That was never their play.

Now they are trying to capture that youth market & excitement, but sadly they have lost what the marque was about in the past - which was pure engineering excellence.

Lexus killed off the old Mercedes in the early 90's. What's left is just another brand.
    I just look a SPECTRE in IMCDB International movie car database The revive Maybach base S-class 600 did make appearance in location which Monica Bellucci came to her house from Funeral before 007 save her.
    [url="http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_861962-Mercedes-Maybach-S-600-X222-2016.html "]imcdb.org[/url] Well we remembered James Bond drove a Mercedes S-Class in Skyfall before he drove his classic Aston Martin DB5.
    Yes, I noticed that. That Maybach S is a fabulous car. It's done duty in season 3 of Ray Donovan too.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,984
    The Maybach is great and supremely comfortable but it's really just the ultimate trim model for the S class. It's intended to compete with Bentley and Rolls Royce's flagships (the Mulsanne and Phantom) but it has no individuality or character of its own. Yes, the ride, comfort and technological luxury are top-notch, but it needs to be its own car, not a glorified S-class. It's going to die again in a few years.

Agreed with @Bondjames that Mercedes would've made Rolls Royce so much better than BMW did. I also agree that the 80's was the last decade where Mercedes cars were just amazing feats of pure engineering. Even today, though, the S class outclasses the 7 series, A8, XJ and other competitors.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The Maybach is a horrible, ostentatious, vulgar statement on wheels.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    It's definitely not comparable to the Phantom or Mulsanne in terms of on-road presence and charisma (I've seen them all). For that matter, I've been inside the Mulsanne and Maybach and the Maybach is not amazingly superior as everybody seems to make it out to be. I haven't been inside the Phantom but I doubt it'd be worse than the Mulsanne.
    Another concept car they done which you may not like. But it will be production in 2017. It believe to be 4 seater like the DB11 but I thought it be 2 seater Maybach Vision 6 concept. I just release the link
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/maybach/96736/vision-mercedes-maybach-6-concept-coupe-previews-2017-production-car
    Please don't think or hope of it be a Bond Villain car no matter if Blofield drive it. To expensive although he had a Mercedes Limo to driven him around. I leave you to what think of it.
    Another which was unveiled is convertible Mercedes another Maybach it a S650. Which likely got production see the picture?
    http://www.topgear.com/car-news/la-motor-show/mercedes-maybach-s650-cabriolet-has-arrived it on this week L.A motor show