New AVTAK 12" remix

brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
edited November 2014 in Music Posts: 1,400
http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/music-duran-duran-a-view-to-a-kill-12-mix?t=&s=&id=03788

anyone know if this is avail to buy? Looked on iTunes, couldn't locate.

Comments

Great remix. I'll buy it in a heartbeat if it becomes available.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 5,767
    Great mix, love it! Steve Thompson was very reliable in those days. I remember some stunning remixes he did for Alphaville songs, I think together with Michael Barbiero.

Can we change the VTAK in the thread title to AVTAK? Much more recognizable like that ;-).
    nice :) I used sounddrain.com to pull the file down. It would be great to buy it but not at iTunes crappy lossy, I would want it in FLAC.
    Is MI6's soundcloud version @128 k ?
    AVTAK is so bad they should play the Benny Hill theme over the credits.
  • AVTAK is so bad they should play the Benny Hill theme over the credits.

That's mature of you...

• RC7RC7

That's mature of you...

I imagine that @doubleohdad wouldn't even find pleasure in the sight of a newborn baby. Unless of course that baby had a particularly brutal and gritty birth, showing an albeit furtuitous flair for Krav Maga while navigating the vaginal tract.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    RC7 wrote: »

That's mature of you...

I imagine that @doubleohdad wouldn't even find pleasure in the sight of a newborn baby. Unless of course that baby had a particularly brutal and gritty birth, showing an albeit furtuitous flair for Krav Maga while navigating the vaginal tract.

=))

Wow that is phenomenal. Well done good sir.

Love this mix. What an unexpected treat all these years later. Sometimes 3 and a half minutes are just not enough when listening to AVTAK!
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    RC7 wrote: »

That's mature of you...

Post of the year, RC. =D>
  • RC7 wrote: »

That's mature of you...

You Sir, are a legend!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    ^:)^ Brilliant Post. =))
    I resemble that remark!

:)
    Very 80s. Fun, but overly long. Dance club stuff.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Duran Duran discuss the recording of AVTAK. Barry mentioned towards the end.

When Duran Duran’s Roger Taylor recorded his drum part for the band’s title track to the fourteenth James Bond film, “A View to a Kill,” he didn’t know that it would be the last time he filled that post for what would be close to twenty years.

On the anniversary of the song’s release, he reflects on recording the track that would end up being the band’s 2nd Number One single, and first James Bond theme to reach the top of the charts (a distinction that remains to this day)

What do I remember about the recording of “A View to a Kill” 30 years ago?…

I recall that there was quite a lot of tension around the sessions, with pressure to deliver a hit in a week’s time!

It’s not every day that you get asked to write and record a James Bond theme, but thanks to our somewhat cheeky bass player, we were in the position – and in a very short space of time. Nile Rodgers was busy, so who do we call next?…Bernard Edwards! He had just produced the Power Station with John and Andy, we loved the drum sound on that, so the perfect choice, and another hero to boot!

I set my kit up in the mirror lined drum booth at Maison Rouge studios in London, hit the drums…Blat! Boosh!!Thwack!!! Enormous ambient sounds..”just what we were looking for” says the sound engineer Jason Casaro. JT comes in, sets up his bass, and Bernard says, “Come on guys, hit me with a killer groove.” Shit! This is the already legendary bass player from Chic…he’s played a great groove or two in his time! John and I look nervously at each other, fear coursing through our veins, and the phrase “this is another fine mess you’ve gotten me into” coming to mind!

John says, “Hey Rog, what’s the beat from ‘Honky Tonk Woman’?” Ah-ha! I play it since I know it from my school band days, it sounds great as JT kicks in with the now familiar delay effected bass line. Bernard puts his head round the door “Yeah! Great! But come on Roger, give me some f*****g creativity dude!!!” he says fiercely in his native Brooklyn twang…so I unpack my Octobans (the long thin drum that feature in “Wild Boys”) and I somehow work them into the song.”BOOM!” says Bernard, “we got it!”

Massive relief ensues all around the rhythm section

John Barry , who was famous for writing and orchestrating all the greatest Bond soundtracks came onto the scene a couple of days later. I remember him mostly for his beautiful 70s style velvet jacket he wore while sitting at the piano trying to work the most outrageous chords into the song, whilst speaking with his lovely northern lilt. It all somehow juxtaposed with what we were doing and actually worked, creating one of our most original and interesting songs – and to this day, I believe that it’s the only Bond theme to hit number one in the U.S. (the song also reached # 2 in the UK) quite an achievement we are all still proud of.

So thanks to John, Simon, Andy, Nick, Bernard, Jason, John Barry and of course the great Charlie Watts!

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Still my favourite theme song (as well as LALD).
    Not a big fan of this needlessly extended version where the original is so punchy and I personally don't think it's actually been done particularly well. Maybe it's because I love the original so much and am resisting any acceptance of changes to it? :D