Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• @mtm @CraigMooreOHMSS I haven’t seen him play a similar sort of character either. But he has a pleasant manner about him in interviews and in that Johnny English film he was in, that makes me think he could possibly pull off the whole gentleman abroad thing that Moore used to do, if he could turn up the charm a bit and do a posh accent. While also being authorative (Judas and the Black Messiah) and able to turn on the intensity when he has to (like the end of Get Out) to stop things feeling too lighthearted, which could be seen as a step down from Craig.

He definitely wouldn’t be my first choice, that’d be Jack O’Connell, with John Boyega a close second. And I don’t think he’s a very realistic choice either, I can’t see it happening myself. But if they wanted to go a bit lighter again, then I think he could be a good shout for an audition, so I thought I’d throw his name out there.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It is bonkers how he went from playing Postman Pat in comedy sketches and bit parts in Dr Who to a straight man role in Johnny English and then winning an Oscar. It's quite the career path!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It's always nice to see a new name on the thread, @thelivingroyale!
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    mtm wrote: »
    It is bonkers how he went from playing Postman Pat in comedy sketches and bit parts in Dr Who to a straight man role in Johnny English and then winning an Oscar. It's quite the career path!

They all have to start somewhere :).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    00Heaven wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »

They all have to start somewhere :).

Very true, it just seemed to go stratospheric for him very quickly!
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    edited October 2021 Posts: 737
    Some of these suggestions appear ludicrous to me. It's probably more down to the dearth of genuine candidates for the role than anything else, but some of the picks turning up on this thread just don't seem to make sense.

George MacKay? A fine actor, absolutely. But he is not handsome or dashing, or attractive, or even rugged, and he never will be. So what on earth makes him suitable for Bond?

The exact same goes for Daniel Kalyuua. Leaving aside the issue of skin colour, even those most opposed to Idris Elba will concede that he is a handsome, rugged, attractive man, who has qualities that we associate with Bond. Can we really say the same for Kalyuua?

Now, I understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I am no Brad Pitt myself, but these guys are not famous for their Bond like qualities in the slightest. They are odd looking character actors, and extremely talented ones at that. But they can genuinely be considered for James Bond then quite frankly all bets are off.

I get that people are fantasising about different casting possibilities, but where is the line? Not that I am trying to police people's suggestions, feel free to throw up other names of course. I am just wondering how far people are prepared to stray from the general physical ballpark of how Bond has been portrayed in the past?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,951
    Some of these suggestions appear ludicrous to me. It's probably more down to the dearth of genuine candidates for the role than anything else, but some of the picks turning up on this thread just don't seem to make sense.

George MacKay? A fine actor, absolutely. But he is not handsome or dashing, or attractive, or even rugged, and he never will be. So what on earth makes him suitable for Bond?

The exact same goes for Daniel Kalyuua. Leaving aside the issue of skin colour, even those most opposed to Idris Elba will concede that he is a handsome, rugged, attractive man, who has qualities that we associate with Bond. Can we really say the same for Kalyuua?

Now, I understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I am no Brad Pitt myself, but these guys are not famous for their Bond like qualities in the slightest. They are odd looking character actors, and extremely talented ones at that. But they can genuinely be considered for James Bond then quite frankly all bets are off.

I get that people are fantasising about different casting possibilities, but where is the line?

There doesn't have to be a line: we're not actually casting Bond here, just throwing ideas around on an internet forum. If you don't like one or you can't see it then you can say that you're not feeling it or explain why if you want. Or you can just ignore it if you want also.
    You can draw your own personal line about what you'd be looking for in a Bond and that's fine, I do too, but no-one else is obliged to share that same line.

There's another thread on here where people are suggesting possible titles for a new Bond film: no-one is getting angry or declaring that the suggestions are 'ludicrous' in there or that there has to be some sort of line drawn about what can and can't be suggested. That would be silly: it's just a bit of fun on a fansite.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    An actor who I think is a good character actor and has the looks for Bond, and I've mentioned him before, is Sam Claflin. People should really check out his work, he has quite the work, and I think could pull off many aspects of the character; from comedic to the more dark and gritty.

samc3.jpg
    DmcGBlzXcAAZZHD.jpg
    DSC-5105-v1.jpg
    636632846335694377-THE-CORRUPTED-FIRST-LOOK---SAM-CLAFLIN.jpg?width=3200&height=1808&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Denbigh wrote: »
    An actor who I think is a good character actor and has the looks for Bond, and I've mentioned him before, is Sam Claflin. People should really check out his work, he has quite the work, and I think could pull off many aspects of the character; from comedic to the more dark and gritty.

samc3.jpg
    DmcGBlzXcAAZZHD.jpg
    DSC-5105-v1.jpg
    636632846335694377-THE-CORRUPTED-FIRST-LOOK---SAM-CLAFLIN.jpg?width=3200&height=1808&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

Was not impressed with him in The Nightingale, and I thought I was going to be. In fact, that was the film that convinced me that Nicholas Hoult might be the best candidate out there. However, perhaps that film didn't serve Claflin well. I know other people rate him highly.

(and when I say I didn't rate him in that film, I mean as Bond. He was good in the film).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,951
    I think Clafin is a good call but I do tend to agree with you FatherValentine that Hoult still feels like he is the one that ticks the most boxes out there at the moment to me.
    I'm keeping an eye on this thread for all new suggestions though because I'm still not totally sold.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I think given the ending of NTTD, the direction of Bond 26 is going to be almost as crucial, as the man who plays Bond #7.
    I just hope they go for a conventional option for Bond #7 but I have a feeling we're not going to get that this time
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2021 Posts: 5,869
    I can understand all those comments, although I personally find that Claflin has a lot more range than Hoult, who I think often comes across the same in every film I've seen him in, and I prefer an actor who can really become a character, and really show all the different sides them.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think putting "spoilers" in the thread title here, gives away the spoiler.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Yes Sam Claflin is a good shout and probably in the right sort of position on the fame radar to be a possibility.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Univex wrote: »
    131425.b6d592ef-bcb9-4823-bc69-b9c917613ab3.jpg?quality=90&resize=620,413
    This guy looks cool too. Tom Cullen.

Well, he has the look. So that's the first hurdle cleared. Is there anything you could recommend to see him in?

Downton Abbey. Quite good, he is.

Oh, ok. I've never seen Downton Abbey, taken at face value, it's not normally my sort of thing. But now I might have to look into it.

I'm not sure why with this picture but my mind instantly went to Mr Bean. I'm sure there are more flattering pictures of Tom Cullen out there that would sway me (We all have our bad days) but this one in particular gave me a chuckle.

If that's a bad picture of him then I'd like to see a good one. I don't know this actor but I think on looks alone he's fine.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 12,837
    I am just wondering how far people are prepared to stray from the general physical ballpark of how Bond has been portrayed in the past?

It’s an interesting question, because everyone seems to draw the line differently.

For me, physical appearances really don’t matter that much. Not many of the previous actors really look like eachother imo, and I don’t picture any of them when I’m reading the novels. So, I’ve never been that bothered about height or hair colour, and I don’t think skin colour matters anymore either.

For me, what defines the modern version of the character is that he’s smooth, dangerous, British and upper class. He’s always been white, and he’s always been 5ft 11 minimum, but I don’t think he necessarily has to be. You could slot Idris Elba or Jack O’Connell into the last few films without having to alter a line of the script.

So, physically, I guess I don’t have much preference. As long as they’re good looking enough to convince as a womaniser and fit enough to convince as a man of action, I’m not really bothered.

Presence is the main thing imo. Cillian Murphy for example would be a very unconventional choice physically, but I think he’s got the presence to pull it off (I know too old/famous/etc, he’ll never get it, just an example to prove my point). Oozes old school cool in Peaky Blinders. Whereas Henry Cavill looks like someone has made the most traditionally perfect looking (in the conventional tall dark and handsome mould) guy for Bond in a lab but based off his previous work, I think he’d be too robotic to convince me.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Ludovico wrote: »

I'm not sure why with this picture but my mind instantly went to Mr Bean. I'm sure there are more flattering pictures of Tom Cullen out there that would sway me (We all have our bad days) but this one in particular gave me a chuckle.

If that's a bad picture of him then I'd like to see a good one. I don't know this actor but I think on looks alone he's fine.

I think its the suit as I instantly jumped to mr bean for some reason I've no idea why it just happened! Yeah hes a decent looking lad though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I am just wondering how far people are prepared to stray from the general physical ballpark of how Bond has been portrayed in the past?

It’s an interesting question, because everyone seems to draw the line differently.

For me, physical appearances really don’t matter that much. Not many of the previous actors really look like eachother imo, and I don’t picture any of them when I’m reading the novels. So, I’ve never been that bothered about height or hair colour, and I don’t think skin colour matters anymore either.

For me, what defines the modern version of the character is that he’s smooth, dangerous, British and upper class. He’s always been white, and he’s always been 5ft 11 minimum, but I don’t think he necessarily has to be. You could slot Idris Elba or Jack O’Connell into the last few films without having to alter a line of the script.

So, physically, I guess I don’t have much preference. As long as they’re good looking enough to convince as a womaniser and fit enough to convince as a man of action, I’m not really bothered.

Presence is the main thing imo. Cillian Murphy for example would be a very unconventional choice physically, but I think he’s got the presence to pull it off (I know too old/famous/etc, he’ll never get it, just an example to prove my point). Oozes old school cool in Peaky Blinders. Whereas Henry Cavill looks like someone has made the most traditionally perfect looking (in the conventional tall dark and handsome mould) guy for Bond in a lab but based off his previous work, I think he’d be too robotic to convince me.

Great post, yeah I totally agree with that.

Murphy is an excellent example- from a photo of him I'd have said no, but in Peaky he's just so totally in control and you can't take your eyes off him, which is what I think Bond needs. And he's cool in it too, as you say, which you really don't see very often.
    Tom Hardy is another: you see him in something and he is a proper star of films, and I don't doubt at all he'd be very good in Bond. There are many reasons why I think it's unlikely to be him, but it wouldn't be because he couldn't do it.
    I think putting "spoilers" in the thread title here, gives away the spoiler.

I don't get it either. It was not a spoiler that this would be Daniel's last film. That has been common knowledge for years.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Unconventional pick, but I think Daniel Kaluuya could be a good choice. I could see him as a modern Moore type gentleman Bond, but he’s also got the chops to make sure that it wouldn’t feel like a step down from DC, I think the depth would still be there.

Leaving aside the whole debate about Bond's race for a second....

I'm likely in the minority on Kaluuya but beyond Get Out, which he was great in, I've found him an irritating presence on screen. As a result, I've enjoyed him more in villainous parts (like Widows, where he's supposed to be hated).

So it would depend on the direction he gets.

Parking Pataweyo to Bond.... :-O
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh yes it wasn't Postman Pat, it was Parking Pataweyo of course :D
    Was it Harry & Paul?

samc3.jpg
    DmcGBlzXcAAZZHD.jpg
    DSC-5105-v1.jpg

I like Claflin. I think he had a hair transplant recently. Good for him, I'd say. Looks even better now.

Evfyj98WYAYqASG.jpg
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

samc3.jpg
    DmcGBlzXcAAZZHD.jpg
    DSC-5105-v1.jpg

I like Claflin. I think he had a hair transplant recently. Good for him, I'd say. Looks even better now.

Evfyj98WYAYqASG.jpg

At the moment, In my top 5.
    talos7 wrote: »

samc3.jpg
    DmcGBlzXcAAZZHD.jpg
    DSC-5105-v1.jpg

Evfyj98WYAYqASG.jpg

At the moment, In my top 5.

Who are the other 4, @talos7?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    In no particular order,
    Jack Lowden
    Aidan Turner. ( I know some are tired of hearing his
    , but he has a great look and voice; he’s
    also at the right level of fame)
    Nicholas Hoult.
    Theo James.

Yes, all very traditional candidates, but sometimes the wheel doesn’t need reinventing and the obvious is the right choice. Bond has been deconstructed enough. I’m ready for an agent in his prime who is sent on missions and has fun along the way.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    In no particular order,
    Jack Lowden
    Nicholas Hoult.
    Theo James.

Yes, all very traditional candidates, but sometimes the wheel doesn’t need reinventing and the obvious is the right choice. Bond has been deconstructed enough. I’m ready for an agent in his prime who is sent on missions and has fun along the way.

+1
    I like your list of candidates @talos7 , though I'm not 100% sold on Theo James.
    However, I’m ready for an agent in his prime who is sent on missions and has fun along the way.
    Benny wrote: »
    In no particular order,
    Jack Lowden
    Nicholas Hoult.
    Theo James.

+1
    I like your list of candidates @talos7 , though I'm not 100% sold on Theo James.
    However, I’m ready for an agent in his prime who is sent on missions and has fun along the way.

A list very, very close to my own, @talos7 ;)
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    edited October 2021 Posts: 357
    This guy looks promising?

349e2167d3f840bc27b21a10d65d9ead.jpg

• SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    73155681.jpg