Who should/could be a Bond actor? *SPOILERS*

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited March 11 Posts: 6,154
    Prior to Bond, Roger Moore was primarily known for his TV roles, stage, screen , television, an actor’s background has little relevance .

With that said, Hoult is a strong choice.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    talos7 wrote: »
    Prior to Bond, Roger Moore was primarily known for his TV roles, stage, screen , television, an actor’s background has little relevance .

I think they will need to have shown they can take the lead in a movie. Moore had done a couple of films by then, as well as just coming off The Persuaders where he held the screen easily alongside Tony Curtis.

I see Jack O'Connell is playing Paddy Mayne in the new BBC series about the birth of the SAS. Should be a great show, and I could imagine a few suggestions for him after that as Mayne was a bit of a hardman (quite a live wire too!).
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    mtm wrote: »
    I see Jack O'Connell is playing Paddy Mayne in the new BBC series about the birth of the SAS. Should be a great show, and I could imagine a few suggestions for him after that as Mayne was a bit of a hardman (quite a live wire too!).
    Lieutenant Colonel Robert Blair "Paddy" Mayne, DSO & Three Bars (11 January 1915 – 14 December 1955) was a British Army soldier from Newtownards, capped for Ireland and the British Lions at rugby union, lawyer, amateur boxer and a founding member of the Special Air Service (SAS).
    Damn, they surely built them different back then!

This will certainly boost O'Connell, although I still can't get past his physical disadvantages. I know we've discussed this up and down and it absolutely shouldn't be the only criterion, but he is just a tad too short (and blond) for Bond for me. I would love to see him in a Bond film though, even if he threatens to over-power whomever they choose for Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 11 Posts: 8,821
    mtm wrote: »
    Lieutenant Colonel Robert Blair "Paddy" Mayne, DSO & Three Bars (11 January 1915 – 14 December 1955) was a British Army soldier from Newtownards, capped for Ireland and the British Lions at rugby union, lawyer, amateur boxer and a founding member of the Special Air Service (SAS).
    Damn, they surely built them different back then!

Yeah, did you see the Ben MacIntyre documentary series on this subject? The drama is based on his book, and Mayne was clearly quite the character, to put it mildly. I reckon Richard Harris would have been the perfect Paddy Mayne.
    It's full of fascinating stories though, it should be quite a show when it comes on.
    This will certainly boost O'Connell, although I still can't get past his physical disadvantages.

Yeah I don't want to get into that.
    5’8” is just shy of the minimum for Bond, which Craig made by a hair. There has to be a cut off .
    There's a simple barometer for whether any given actor is a worthy candidate. Imagine whether they'd look convincing seducing the likes of Diana Rigg, Maud Adams, Berenice Marlohe and Monica Bellucci, and how they would share the screen opposite Robert Shaw, Telly Savalas, Christopher Lee, Robert Davi and Mads Mikkelsen, to give a few examples.

RIght now, I'm struggling to do that with many of the names mentioned.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited March 11 Posts: 6,590
    There's a simple barometer for whether any given actor is a worthy candidate. Imagine whether they'd look convincing seducing the likes of Diana Rigg, Maud Adams, Berenice Marlohe and Monica Bellucci, and how they would share the screen opposite Robert Shaw, Telly Savalas, Christopher Lee, Robert Davi and Mads Mikkelsen, to give a few examples.

Yeah, that's a good point. I'm not all that bothered by a couple of inches higher or shorter - but if you do cast someone shorter than the norm, it could possibly have a knock-on effect in terms of who else they cast (certainly for the leading ladies), as they will want to make their leading man look as good as possible.

That's nothing new in Hollywood, of course. But I doubt they'd want to restrict themselves too much, regardless. That said, who knows what EON are thinking going forward.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Great comment @GeneralGogol completely agree
    No offence to Hoult fans here but he doesn't seem tough enough to me (if he was cast anytime soon) he looks like a baby and he's early 30's. I think it will be jarring for the audience to go from Daniel to Hoult because it's like one extreme to the other. Unless they were going for quite dramatic shift in tone.
    He is a great suggestion though, maybe in a few years he'll grow into the leading man role

While I don't disagree, I am wondering if people felt that way about Craig circa 2002. This is an honest question, as I was too young and generally not aware of the discussion at that time.
    What I am trying to get at is that there is a certain something the role gives the actor. The actor of course has to bring a lot, but actually stepping into the role does something that is impossible to see beforehand.
    After all, I am of the opinion that Eon hasn't had a bad Bond yet. Did they just make 6 good decisions or does the role elevate the actor? Probably a little bit of both. Lazenby to me comes the closest to it, but he is saved by everything around him in OHMSS being absolutely fantastic.

While I don't disagree, I am wondering if people felt that way about Craig circa 2002. This is an honest question, as I was too young and generally not aware of the discussion at that time.
    What I am trying to get at is that there is a certain something the role gives the actor. The actor of course has to bring a lot, but actually stepping into the role does something that is impossible to see beforehand.
    After all, I am of the opinion that Eon hasn't had a bad Bond yet. Did they just make 6 good decisions or does the role elevate the actor? Probably a little bit of both. Lazenby to me comes the closest to it, but he is saved by everything around him in OHMSS being absolutely fantastic.

Very good points here. Also helps that the first films for nearly all Bonds are some of the biggest critical successes in the series.

With respect to Craig, in 2002 he was holding his own against Tom Hanks and Paul Newman in Road to Perdition, but otherwise had his "Bondian" roles in Layer Cake and Munich a few years ahead of him.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 11 Posts: 8,821
    I watched a bit of his Channel 4 mini series Sword of Honour from 2001 recently (it’s on All 4) where he’s a soldier in WW2 and it does almost feel like it’s staring you in the face sometimes! :) In hindsight he does seem a natural choice for Bond but I certainly didn’t spot it at the time.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Sword of Honour was the main place I knew him from. I thought he was a great actor, but just didn't look like my idea of Bond.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    5’8” is just shy of the minimum for Bond, which Craig made by a hair. There has to be a cut off .

5ft 8in is way shy for Bond, it’s short.
    edited March 12 Posts: 6,154
    suavejmf wrote: »

5ft 8in is way shy for Bond, it’s short.

I was being tactful ; 5’10” is the minimum .
    If you think about it, that’s not a big difference but it’s actually huge. Lol.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 12 Posts: 8,821
    Well I watched SAS Red Notice: Sam Heughan's off the list :) Nothing really going on there.

I guess it doesn't help the film is so poor, but Andy Serkis is the only one giving a decent performance in it.
    That said, Tom Wilkinson and Anne Reid both have cameos, and I've no idea why.
    giphy.gif
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well I'm sure you're right! I hope it didn't take too long out of Ms Reid's day though! :)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    So I found this deleted scene from Emma with Callum Turner...

Denbigh wrote: »

Hmmm.
    You are either delusional or a visionary; time will tell. 😉
  • QsCatQsCat London

What are you suggesting?

Not a Bond at all IMO. Hasn’t got the looks or screen presence IMO.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Hahaha :D

I'm intrigued by your response @CraigMooreOHMSS haha :D

I was deep in thought about it, so I watched it a couple of times, @Denbigh. He can certainly do charm - or least that period brand of charm - and he can act. There's just something about him that's just not clicking for me, and I can't quite put my finger on it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Costa Mucho

I was deep in thought about it, so I watched it a couple of times, @Denbigh. He can certainly do charm - or least that period brand of charm - and he can act. There's just something about him that's just not clicking for me, and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Could it be that he is totally unsuitable?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

That's understandable. There's just something about him for me that just makes sense. Maybe it's his age or maybe even his lack of exposure that's not helping? I mean I've been following his career for a few years now.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    In these days of #Metoo. "I wouldn't go putting your finger or anything else for that matter "on anything :D
    I as ever stand ready, if they want a Fatter, older out of shape Bond.

If that was how I felt, then that's what I would have said.

But yes, I'm not really feeling him as a Bond.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    edited March 13 Posts: 159
    The whole scene was poor, I can see why it was cut. Great visually, but it was acted like a scene from an amateur theatre production. I know- I've seen enough of them.

If that was how I felt, then that's what I would have said.

But yes, I'm not really feeling him as a Bond.

He looks a bit like the character on the front of the coco pops packet to me. Lol. He’s not Bond...he’s Mr. Average. IMO.