SPECTRE: Wouldn't a James Bond-less Pre Title Sequence be a ingenious thing to do?

2»

Comments

I think the last time we did not see Bond in the PTS was LALD (does TMWTGG count since it was a maniquin?)

I have no problem with it myself. Maybe seeing the gun barrell to kick things off would be too much to ask for. I think Babs and MGW are content to leave it at the end of their films now.
  • I'm actually wondering if SPECTRE will have a Bond-less PTS. In a way it seems logical, if you want to re-introduce the audience to Mr White again and his organization QUANTUM. It's the perfect "little movie inside the big movie" to get rid of Mr White in a gruesome, but yet exciting way. And then you end the PTS with some hints of the new SPECTRE. The PTS is then basically a fight between SPECTRE and QUANTUM.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Ripped from @SirHenry's Original Thread -

Imagine this if you will, the PTS of Spectre;

SPECTRE will usurp Quantum a'la Maibaum's first draft for TSWLM. SPECTRE goons infiltrate Quantum's bases, and kill off their leaders, with no dialogue, and sinister, ominous, restrained music. In the final scene of the PTS, Blofeld kills White with a single bullet, from a silenced gun. Main Titles.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    After more thought, I really do prefer Bond in the majority of the PTS. Not necessary to be in every bit of it, but I do like him in it.
    Something along the lines of the Klebb, Kronstein, Blofeld meeting to plot Bond's demise in FRWL could make a good PTS without Bond.

"If the British are involved, they'll most certainly send Bond."
    "It would be the perfect opportunity to kill him and embarrass the British."
    "Bond must live. We can destroy him in other ways."
    "How?"
    "We give him hope!"

I think these days, people are more critical so a PTS without Bond would definitely be up for a lot critique we know what fans are like ;)
    The PTS is duty-bound to deliver a rousing mini-movie before the title.

It is of course emulated in the Indiana Jones films and Nolan's two Dark Knight sequels. Spielberg plays with the formula of expectation in the third film, Nolan uses the villains. I think there's an opportunity to do a villain-centric one... it might have worked for Silva if they weren't going the opposite way and holding him back for half the film.

You can't just have a perfunctory bit of exposition or set-up like LALD. My first thought with that film is always "Bring on McCartney already"
  • I was just thinking that the love for LALD, as ushered in SF by Sam Mendes/Daniel Craig, is going to happen again in SP. Just look at this news item: http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=11679&t=mi6&s=news

Are we going to see a PTS that is less heavy on action and more heavy on "cultural festivities", as portrayed in the PTS of LALD (The New Orleans funeral, the Voodoo-torture scene) and also in TB (Junkanoo carnaval), OHMSS (Weihnachtsmarkt), MR (Rio carnaval) and QOS (Palio)?

Also, could this be the first PTS since TMWTGG that is not featuring James Bond?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    For some reason I'd like to see a PTS with Bond, but under cover as some else. Like for example you'd see a villain get off a helicopter followed by 5 or 6 henchmen whom he's briefing on his nefarious plan, and then surprise surprise, one of them is Daniel Craig and he shows his hand and foils the plot. Now that I'm typing, it seems like this was pretty much TND's PTS, although it's been a long time since I've seen it, and I can't remember :P
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    For some reason I'd like to see a PTS with Bond, but under cover as some else. Like for example you'd see a villain get off a helicopter followed by 5 or 6 henchmen whom he's briefing on his nefarious plan, and then surprise surprise, one of them is Daniel Craig and he shows his hand and foils the plot. Now that I'm typing, it seems like this was pretty much TND's PTS, although it's been a long time since I've seen it, and I can't remember :P
    Also like DAD's PTS, where Bond poses as Van Bierk.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'd love another big " Jaw dropping" opening stunt ! :D
    Agree on the stunt idea but CGI has devalued these things.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Not all stunts are/have to be CGI. In fact, the existance of CGI sort of gives practical stunts more weight I think. Get Bond to jump off another dam :D
    No more Damn Dams! ;)
    I once had an idea for a chase on ice skates across an ice field. With the baddies firing Grenades at him, breaking up the ice etc. With 007 having to jump from one
    Ice flow to another. As the ice moved closer to a waterfall.
    As a helicopter rises in front of Bond, a machine gunner opens the side door to
    Begin firing at Bond. Luckily 007 has his piton gun, so fires killing the machine
    Gunner,causing him to fall backwards out of the helicopter, and so pulls Bond
    Off the ice and up into the helicopter. Which Bond takes control of and flies away
    As many baddies fall fall over the waterfall. :D
    Now I didn't say it was a GOOD idea ! :))
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 11,119
    SPECTRE will do this to our minds :)) :
    Springtime_1280.png :))
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    SPECTRE will do this to our minds:
    Springtime_1280.png

I'm confused. May I ask which face represents what emotion/expression?
    The first guy looks like he's watching a train wreck, the second looks slightly perplexed and the third is just in shock - the forth, in the white tux, just looks disgusted...

I certainly hope so!!! In a positive way though!! :))
    I thought they were watching " Fifty Shades of Grey" :D
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    (I'm not trying to pick on anyone, so please do not yell at me.)

Too bad, I was looking rather forward to yell at you. But as you request us not to do so, well, I will not do it. On topic: The Bond-less PTSS in LALD worked IMO, as it is really part of the story. And then, LALD introduced the new Bond Roger Moore, so that workd fine. I am not so sure about FRWL and TMWTGG. The latter was funny beacuse of Scaramanga's *sigh* House of Fun *doublesigh*.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

In the end, that's how we felt when we found out Bond and Blofeld had lived under the same roof.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2017 Posts: 8,127
    I really like the idea of a James Bond PTS that sets up the story and the villains plan. A nice bit of intrigue and suspense building at the start, create some atmosphere and lead into the titles with everyone still tantalized. I think it has become far to common for the films to open with Bond in some action set piece, when they should really think about withholding the first spurt of action for as long as possible. Bond shouldn't appear in the story until there is a reason for him to be there.

In general, I think the films should focus far less on following the character of Bond from place to place, and make him just another character in the story. There are times when I watch the Bond films and think "I wonder what the villains are up to right now in the story", and there's really no reason why we shouldn't get to see more of it. Part of good suspense is knowing what is coming before the characters do, and if we see these two forces on a collision course from minute zero, it becomes far more enthralling. That's just one way that they could really liven things up, and do so whilst cutting back on some of the more costly aspects of making these movies (action).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I agree @Mendes4Lyfe. I do like the TMWTGG PTS very much precisely because of this. It's quite atmospheric & suspenseful. We know Scaramanga has his eyes set on Bond, but we don't know the full extent of why (our assumption throughout the earlier part of the film is that it's because he wants him dead, but then we realize it's because he's actually an admirer).

When Bond gets to his Island at the end of the film, we know before he does that the Fun Palace will be part of his challenge due to the PTS.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2017 Posts: 8,127
    bondjames wrote: »
    I agree @Mendes4Lyfe. I do like the TMWTGG PTS very much precisely because of this. It's quite atmospheric & suspenseful. We know Scaramanga has his eyes set on Bond, but we don't know the full extent of why (our assumption throughout the earlier part of the film is that it's because he wants him dead, but then we realize it's because he's actually an admirer).

When Bond gets to his Island at the end of the film, we know before he does that the Fun Palace will be part of his challenge due to the PTS.

Yeah, that first 5 minutes can be utilized in so many neat ways, it seems a waste to go straight into an action scene with Bond. Infact, it's doubly a waste since the very start of the film is the only point where you KNOW you have the audiences full attention.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2017 Posts: 28,694
    I really like the idea of a James Bond PTS that sets up the story and the villains plan. A nice bit of intrigue and suspense building at the start, create some atmosphere and lead into the titles with everyone still tantalized. I think it has become far to common for the films to open with Bond in some action set piece, when they should really think about withholding the first spurt of action for as long as possible. Bond shouldn't appear in the story until there is a reason for him to be there.

In general, I think the films should focus far less on following the character of Bond from place to place, and make him just another character in the story. There are times when I watch the Bond films and think "I wonder what the villains are up to right now in the story", and there's really no reason why we shouldn't get to see more of it. Part of good suspense is knowing what is coming before the characters do, and if we see these two forces on a collision course from minute zero, it becomes far more enthralling. That's just one way that they could really liven things up, and do so whilst cutting back on some of the more costly aspects of making these movies (action).

@Mendes4Lyfe, how do you rate TB? That film is essentially this idea in practice for a large part of it, but many don't seem to like it.

I much prefer seeing things from Bond's perspective, but I do like to see villain plots unfold. I think films like FRWL and TB give us Bond's POV and the villain's in a way that doesn't detract from either, and I'd like to see such a balance struck in a future film. I just don't want Bond getting lost or underserved. I watch the films for him, and his journeys in each, so diluting that would cause issue for me.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Bond appeared in FRWL and TMWTGG PTS.
    LALD is the exception.

A Craig-less PTS in Bond25?

Why not. There have been three types of PTS already in this era. PTS is fair game.