Star Wars Episode 1 first and only 3D attempt?

Comments

Well I just finished watching Episode I on DVD and all I can say is that I am thankful I didn't pay to see it again...
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Here's my review of the film:
    While I understand that post conversion 3D isn't and couldn't possibly be as good as 3D that was actually shot using the proper equipment, I had originally hoped that Lucas would surprise us. Little did I know at the time that TPM 3D would be a dud. There's literally no 3D in this edition, with the exception of a few hardly exciting, dull and predictable moments. If this is an example of what's coming in the future, I'm angry. Never have I been so underwhelmed as with this film. I love SW. I'm a huge SW fan. And all I can say is: SW in 3D, while my hopes had been high, is a huge disappointment.

I agree in a different way. I just do not see the need to make the films 3D? It was never in his mind as far as im aware? Just the technology was not available for how he wanted the films to look. Its just a way of making more money out of it! No way am i paying out hard earned money to see these movies again!

I don't find 3D that appealing and do not see what all the fuss is about? I certainly do not want to see Bond go down this route!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    doubleoego wrote:
    You have to give it to George. He has the world by the balls and even though people bash him till they're blue in the face they'll still hand over their cash. Lucas is a freaking Jedi and he's waved his hand to the world, telling us all every year for the next 6 years we're forking over our cash into his back pocket. Lol genius.

My very view on the subject. If you're gonna bash Lucas, stop watching his movies.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Exactly. I'm a SW fan and even though I think Lucas has lost his touch somewhat as a storyteller and a director, I respect his hustle as s businessman. He knows how to Market and sell his product, he doesn't need to make new SW movies even though we'd all Luke that but SW is his and he's too busy making money rerererere-releasing what he's already done. Love him or hate him, his acumen for business is recognised and respected.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It looks like this will do well enough for Episode II next year. That film may not make as much but you can bet it'll do well enough for the public to turn out in their droves for the last four films, which will clean up nicely.
    3D is sooo last year!!!!!

Williams score sounded bang on though!!!! So as a concert of his score, worth the cinema fee..!?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The qui gin/obi wan bs darth maul fight with williams' duel of the fates theme playing is worth the price of admission alone.
    doubleoego wrote:
    The qui gin/obi wan bs darth maul fight with williams' duel of the fates theme playing is worth the price of admission alone.

....So right matey!!! :D
  • I went to see it yesterday, I mainly went because my friend (Who had never seen Star Wars before) wanted me to go with him, and as I would like to have seen each and every Star Wars film in cinemas, I accepted his invite.

The three things that kept me interested were: Liam Neeson, the pod race, and the end lightsabre duel with Darth Maul, as I have always loved those three things from this movie. I was hugely suprised that I actually ended up enjoying the whole film entirely; not as much as most films, but still more than I had expected.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Here's my review of the film:
    While I understand that post conversion 3D isn't and couldn't possibly be as good as 3D that was actually shot using the proper equipment, I had originally hoped that Lucas would surprise us. Little did I know at the time that TPM 3D would be a dud. There's literally no 3D in this edition, with the exception of a few hardly exciting, dull and predictable moments. If this is an example of what's coming in the future, I'm angry. Never have I been so underwhelmed as with this film. I love SW. I'm a huge SW fan. And all I can say is: SW in 3D, while my hopes had been high, is a huge disappointment.

Really?! I can't believe you thought the 3D would be amazing. Even the guys who turned it into 3D said that it wouldn't be a, "Look at how 3D this is". They said it wouldn't be a in your face kind of 3D, more of just a depth kind of 3D.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 121
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    JamesC wrote:

That kiddies trailer is insulting, even to kids! It feels to me like they treat kids as retards. You said it, sir, cringe worthy. Someone please reboot my brain now.
    :-&
    To be honest, I should sue or burn down my local theatre for they played the film in one of their very worst theatre rooms. I swear the colours were diluted, the sound was nearly absent and the images were fuzzy. And since the audio-visual experience is very important in a film like Ep. I, these technical issues already blew the fun for me. That, and of course the fact that
    there's absolutely no 3D effect in the entire film worthy of any mention.

I have to admit, I consider Ep. I a guilty pleasure film. It took me years to discover the flaws other people immediately found it the film. I was so exhilarated at the time over the fact that I'd be seeing a new Star Wars film, my enthusiasm blinded me from its many weaknesses. Also, I'm a sucker for light saber duels and spectacular space battles. For years, the battle of Naboo was enough to keep me going. Seriously, that final 3rd act was better than sex for me. Yet slowly I began to understand the problems. I even found issues in the editing of my favourite climax. Like a cold shower, it hit me. I sobered up. Hence, nowadays it's a guilty pleasure film for me. I still like the core of the film but I feel somewhat guilty for that.

My reaction to Ep. 2, oddly enough, was quite different from other people's. Many considered it a step-up from Ep. 1, no doubt because it wasn't as obvious a kiddies film as Ep. 1. However, I myself sorely missed those grand space battles and I was quite underwhelmed by the Clone attack on Geonosis. Yet over time, Ep. 2, despite its romantic silliness, grew to me.

I'm a Star Wars fan, but post '99 a lot went wrong. The OT:

- SW: Great
    - ESB: Superb!
    - ROTJ: A lot of fun, but far from perfect. Still, a lot of fun.

Then the PT:

- TPM: Guilty pleasure
    - AOTC: Okay, not good though
    - ROTS: Very good

But then came the Clone Wars film / animated series - clearly aimed at the youngest of the bunch. This is where Lucas let me down. SW was loved by adults and kids alike. But these Clone Wars things are kid stuff. So to be honest, my SW fanship is presently limited to the films and in a perfect world, there would only have been three of those. When the 3D project was announced, fresh energy woke up inside me. I'm no fan of 3D filmmaking, especially not of post conversion 3D, and IMO 3D belongs in a theme park. But that's exactly where I thought they'd take me: to an exciting 3D ride.
    Again, I'm let down. So, to answer the question, I enjoy the film - though I feel guilty over that - but I did not enjoy this 3D thing, partly because the 3D is a hoax IMO, partly because my theatre screwed up.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 2,341
    Episode 1 was the weakest of the Star Wars films. why start with this one? I want to see 2 or 3 on 3D first. the best part was Darth Maul, he was super cool.
    No, I won't see this one in 3D, 1D or 2D. Better forgotten.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Episode 1 was the weakest of the Star Wars films. why start with this one? I want to see 2 or 3 on 3D first.

TBH, I think it only makes sense to start with Ep. I or Ep. IV. In a way, Lucas might be trying to lure in a new fan base, a new generation of fans. Logic dictates that he starts with the first of a trilogy.
    The podrace by itself is still great.
    But the only 3D thing is that magnetic bar poking at us. What is Lucas thinking? Effects like these have been going around since the 50s.
    dragonsky wrote:
    wow star wars in 3D would look just marvelous i hope they will make it
    And 8 months later i watched it.I would have never guessed that 8 months after they will bring 3D movies in mine country and especially Star Wars
    dragonsky wrote:
    dragonsky wrote:
    And 8 months later i watched it.I would have never guessed that 8 months after they will bring 3D movies in mine country and especially Star Wars

What did you think of it?
    DarthDimi wrote:
    dragonsky wrote:
    dragonsky wrote:

What did you think of it?
    dragonsky wrote:
    I watched the Star Wars ep.1 in 3D.

I have to admit this is mine first Star Wars movie that i watched.

I heard that ep.1 was the worst + already watched other 3D movies and i know that I shouldn't expect much from the 3D considering the fact the movie came out in 1999.
    The new movies have bad 3D effects and what I should expect from movie from 1999.

There were couple of good 3D effects.

I really liked the movie.It started good.Continued really solid.Became boring after 1h:45min or so but the end was great.It had few flaws but I really liked the movie.I plan on watching next 5 episodes soon :).

I would rate this movie 7.5/10

Well, I'm in the minority, but I thought the 3D version was a bit of a triumph

Disappointed to see most reviews/comments (everywhere) either re-hashing why they didn't like it the first time or complaining it's 'not 3-D'..EH?

3D isn't just poking the audience in the eye. And given this is post-conv that's probably just as well. Where it really benefits is the use of depth of field.

If you think of the screen as the front of the stage, then the 3D creating depth behind it...even Lucas says this is what they were trying to do. The big screen environments really come alive because of this (the underwater city wowed me particularly) and oddly enough I found I had plenty of time to notice all sorts of background details without being distracted from the central action. In short, I noticed a whole lot more.

I replayed some bits on DVD afterwards and it just isn't the same. SW really exisits on the big screen. And I think the 3D actually works better here - certainly will on the prequels where the environments are 'busier'. Another side-effect was that the CGI looked better...er, three-dimensional!

Oh, and even though I have a pretty good TV/audio set-up, you just cannot beat the sound fx on the podrace in a cinema which are just amazing.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Change that title!

Attack of the Clones will be released in 3D on 20th September 2013 and Revenge of the Sith will be released in 3D on 11th October on 2013, less than a month later!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=437394246312182&set=a.184244804960462.62918.169299103121699&type=1
    I'm impressed that Lucas will go on with it.
    The first one made enough money. The next ones will likely do even better, except Episode II, as they're considered better films.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm alone in this, but I'd love to see The Clone Wars movie in 3D.
    I think he should do something new, instead of rehashing these movies to squeeze more money out of them!
    Keep that title!

It seems plans for II and III in 3D have been shelved so all the effort can be put towards VII.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/exclusive-no-more-star-wars-3d-prequel-releases-lucasfilm-passes-to-focus-on-new-trilogy/
  • GOOD. Freaking remake I-III while they're at it....
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    NO!!! No remakes. Sad that they only made TPM in 3D because the other ones would have made so much more money than TPM.