SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    When Dalton was announced, I had been a fan of him for years and could not think of anyone better to take over as Bond. I had two friends who were also Bond fans then. One would not go see the new film as he thought Dalton looked gay, whatever that means. The other went along for the premiere, he had never seen Dalton before in anything, but during the PTS he turned towards me and said: "This guy is so much cooler than Roger Moore."
    No one is cooler than Sir Roger of course, but I knew what he meant. At that time, he was the perfect Bond. Wish he had started a film earlier, and given us three.
    Timothy Dalton era... a very short and interesting one. Most I know would agree his two Bond films were pretty good. I have to be honest; Timothy Dalton is my least favorite Bond actor. But this does not mean I don't like him - far from out. I thought he was a great Bond; that just shows how much I love all 6 actors (I believe we've been blessed to have great actors every time). The Living Daylights was a unique and fun Bond film, so much different from the rest but still enjoyable. I wasn't a huge fan of the villains, but the main girl was excellent and Dalton's performance was solid. The action scenes were great; I loved the PTS especially, and the final two fights (on the plane and museum) were just awesome. I loved Licence to Kill even more; a hard-edged, revenge-bent Bond was just my thing. I thought Dalton's performance was even better in LTK, and it also had a much better main villain in Sanchez. Admittedly the Bond girls weren't my favorite in that one, but again it was a unique Bond film that separated itself from the rest in a most positive way. The vendetta storyline, Dalton's performance, and all the dark grittiness and violence to LTK makes it a must-watch Bond film. Perhaps Dalton's reign was too short; then again, I also thought Lazenby's was. A great era, however brief it may have been.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Yes, I wish Roger's last film as Bond was Octopussy - and yet ... I don't see Dalton in AVTAK, at least not as his debut film. So I guess I would need to leave AVTAK with Roger ... and keep Timothy's debut as is. I felt and still do feel, that TLD was the perfect intro for Dalton. I would have preferred at least one more film with Timothy after License to Kill - yet not GE (because that was perfect with Brosnan in it) but a different Bond film, one we had not yet seen. They were working on it. Alas, too brief an era for Dalton, and I think many share my opinion in that regard.
    Yes, I wish Roger's last film as Bond was Octopussy - and yet ... I don't see Dalton in AVTAK, at least not as his debut film. So I guess I would need to leave AVTAK with Roger ... and keep Timothy's debutr as is. I fel,t and still do feel, that TLD was the perfect intro for Dalton. I would have preferred at least one more film with Timothy after License to Kill - yet not GE (because that was perfect with Brosnan in it) but a different Bond film, one we had not yet seen. They were working on it. Alas, too brief an era for Dalton, and I think many share my opinion in that regard.

Yeah; three films would have been good. Just replace Roger's AVTAK with a TLD, then either sandwich a film in between TLD and LTK or one after LTK. AVTAK is my least-favorite Bond film anyway so it would have worked out for me haha. Brosnan GE must remain though for me.

Thanks, @Thunderfinger and @FoxRox, for your thoughts on Dalton.

I forgot to mention Lazenby, didn't I? Well, that is because I did not see OHMSS until decades later and I do not think of Lazenby as Bond (that was my issue with the film) so he does not enter into my mind as James Bond often. Sorry, Laz. As far as ranking Dalton below Lazenby, I have to say that even if I had enjoyed Lazenby (talented, but not as an actor), there is no way I would rank him higher than Dalton, who is actually a very good actor. But we each have our own opinions, and that's ok. I am not trying to argue or convince anyone.

Just delving into what we like/dislike about Timothy's Bond. What makes Dalton's James Bond unique for you? Highlights/lowlights/paragraphs/bullet points/essays .. are all welcome!
    edited March 2014 Posts: 45,489
    FoxRox wrote:
    that just shows how much I love all 6 actors (I believe we've been blessed to have great actors every time). /quote]

Pffft! Just wait until we get to the Brosnan era, no more Mr Nice Guy from @Thunderfinger, I will finally tell you all about his Bond.

Back to topic: Dalton was fabulous, one of the very best. I used to rank TLD a little bit above LTK before, but now I think I shall rank LTK a little
    bit above TLD instead. More suited to his style, and less "politically correct". Sanchez is also light years above Whitaker in the hoodlum department.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The Dalton era was a very strange ride for me. After AVTAK I was all but ready to give up on ever seeing a proper Connery-esque Bond ever again. Then in '87 we got Tim. No, not a Connery-type, but also nothing like Roger's lighthearted version. I honestly didn't know what to make of his Bond. So broody, so intense. Not the suave care free yet dangerous Connery at all. But still, very serious, and for that I was very grateful. In -89 we got his second Bond, and by then with the flood of movies like Lethal Weapon, Die hard, Batman, Predator, I'm ashamed to say that it kinda got lost in the deluge for me. I remember not disliking it, but that's all.
    It was about the historic OO7 GAP that I think I actually read ALL of Fleming. Previously I had read Thunderball, but this time I started at the beginning and went all the way through. Brosnan came & went, Craig had his first two, then I joined this site & AJB, and got to talking to folks that mostly all told me that I *NEEDED* to check out Dalton's movies again.
    A new look at his movies with Fleming under my belt cemented it: THIS was the perfect Bond IMO.
    As much as I geek-gasmed over Brosnan, as much as I revere classic Connery, Dalton just blew me away on my second look.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

And it's a good story, @chrisisall. ;)

Yes, Dalton is totally worth checking out and perhaps some newer fans simply do not take the time (not looking at you, FoxRox). They are missing so much that is solid and gratifying and exciting and memorable about James Bond if they do not see Dalton's films, in my opinion.
    I will fast forward and make a little comment before moving on to my indept analysis (IMO) of the Dalton era.

By Salzman refusing to sell his shares to Cubby, this led to UA stepping in and now Bond was tied to more sheissters, bottom feeding lawyers and boards of directors. This led to the six year hiatus between LTK and GE. Imagine if Salzman had let Cubby buy him out and keot Bond as a one man show. We might not have had the six years and Dalton might have gotten that much anticipated third film in 1991.

Just an observation.
    Indeed, several of us have similar thoughts, @OHMSS69 about what could have/should have been! Thanks very much for commenting on that. It was too long a wait, and a shame - nearly criminal! - that Dalton did not at least get a third film.
    Looking forward to your in depth take on the Dalton era, too.
    :)>-
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    chrisisall wrote:
    The Dalton era was a very strange ride for me.
    I think that it was a strange ride for all of us. Roger Moore had been Bond for eons and whether you liked him or not I think that we had all just come to expect certain things from the franchise at this point. It's hard to put into words the shock factor that Timothy Dalton introduced us to in 1987. I can remember much of the general public not quite knowing what to make of him. Many people were just kind of stupefied by the man. He certainly wasn't Moore but he wasn't Connery either and there just seemed to be this nonchalant attitude in the air that he was alright but nothing special.

I like Timothy Dalton and I'm glad that he was James Bond. I really respect the fact that he was able to mold the character into his own unique vision. He brought a very sharp edge to the character and showed reverence to the Fleming novels. He was a very cynical Bond which fit the mood of the late 80's very well. Even though I think that he was underrated back in the day, it's ironic to me that I think people tend to overrate him in the present. Well, it's just my personal opinion. I like him and think that he was a very capable and adequate Bond. I just don't regret the fact that he only starred in two films.

As far as the Dalton era goes, I like The Living Daylights quite a bit but have never been a huge fan of Licence To Kill. It's too bad that you can't somehow transplant Robert Davi into TLD because then you'd have a near perfect film. Despite it's weak villains, TLD still manages to be a very exciting and evocative Bond film. Dalton carries the film well and his chemistry with Maryam d'Abo helps to create one of the more believable romances in the series. John Rhys-Davies makes an excellent General Pushkin, Necros was a very formidable henchman and even a minor character like Saunders was fascinating. With LTK I feel that Dalton and Davi were up to the task but the script and the budget wasn't up to par. Except for Benicio del Toro I think that the rest of the cast is quite underwhelming. Once Bond resigns his licence to kill he is basically just a cold blooded murderer. With our hero falling so far off of the edge it's dubious to deliver a happy ending where Bond gets his job back without any consequences. Still, the film has it's moments and certainly isn't the worst of the series.

As a final thought, I do wish that Dalton would have had a chance to work with Campbell. It certainly would be interesting to see how that would have turned out.
    In 1986 People ran an issue with Pierce Brosnan on the cover announcing that he would be the next Bond. Okay...
    In 1987 People posted a b&w photo of the new Bond, Timothy Dalton. He was with Vanessa Redgrave and not shaven. I thought he looked okay. The next time I saw him was a picture in Life with him pointing a PPK surrounded by old gadgets from earlier films. He was shaven in this photo. The article mentioned the title: TLD.

Prior to the release ABC ran a special hosted by Roger Moore, a reflection on the last 25 years of Bond. It was a well done special and Moore was his usual charming and humorous self. The special featured a few scenes from the upcoming TLD and it was my first time getting a good look at the new Bond.

I had heard positive things about the new Bond and the film. When I finally saw it I was blown away. I liked this new fresh approach. I found it interesting that Dalton had read the books and his interpretation has been called the closest to Flemings.
    Dalton like the literary Bond is a brooding killer in Her Majesty's Service. He does not like his job but he does what is necessary for Queen and Country. He has no sense of humor and this is what rubbed a lot of people wrong.

The one liners had been perfected by Connery and Moore carried the ball well. By 1987 EON figured that audiences expected this and they injected a lot of it in TLD. A mistake. Dalton's attempts at humor would just fall flat. "Salt corrosion. Some of the scenes with the chase in the new Aston Martin is full of humor and typical gadgetry we had come to expect but Dalton's seriousness did not jive with any of this. There was an OTT scene shot for Bond's escape in Tangiers but luckily the scenes were cut when everyone remebered that Dalton was to be a serious interpretation.

TLD was released during the AIDS scare of the 1980's and safe sex was preached all over the place.The writers note this and goes for "political correctness". Bond is not anxious to bed the leading lady and actually insists on separate bedrooms when he and Kara checks into the hotel. Monogamy for Bond.

Literary Bond was a chain smoker however after 1970 it was no longer cool to show Bond smoking. Although Roger lights up a cigar in LALD we never see him smoking in any later films. Dalton's Bond smokes. He is shown lighting up in both his films, all this in keeping this new Bond close Flemings character.

Personally I liked Dalton and loved his take on the character. He is a talented actor and in my opinion just what the doctor ordered. In his second film, the writers decided to concentrate on his stronger suits, the serious and intense Bond. And Dalton knocked it out of the ball park. He looks good, he wears his clothes well, his gritty take on the character was like a punch in the face to audiences who had a dozen years of the tongue in cheek approach of Roger Moore.

I feel he may have been ahead of his time and audiences were not ready for this serious take on James Bond. It can be said that he paved the way for Daniel Criag who is applauded for his gritty, kick in balls approach. All of this was introduced by Timothy Dalton back in the eighties.
    Very, very well thought out & communicated @OHMSS69!!!
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Why was no one ready for a more serious Bond in the 80s? Surely some people had read the Fleming books in between the 60s and the 80s.

I must confess I've come to admire Dalton and his take on the character more as I've got older - even if he can be a little too boring at times.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Why was no one ready for a more serious Bond in the 80s?
    I remember a lot of folks saying that Keaton's Batman was too dark & violent... they missed Adam West.
    b-(
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 7,653
    Timothy Dalton an unknown actor for me when he was announced, which left me somewhat dissapointed as I had expected Pierce Brosnan whose Remmington Steele I had watched courtesy of the NATO Americans in Europe.

So when I saw TLD on the 1st night in The Netherlands I saw a fairly Roger Mooresque style adventure with some great setpieces, the fight on the nets outside of the plane remains indeed one of the great and original stunts in the whole of the franchise. But most of all it felt like a script written for Roger Moore performed by somebody who lacked the humorous skills of him. It was still a beautifull crafted movie though.
    The largest weakness for me was the portrayal of Jeroen Krabbe's baddie, besides the fact that I dislike Krabbe and think that Rutger Hauer would be much better, but they played it safe and chose for the actor who would not outshine Timothy Dalton at any moment.

LTK another Dalton vehicle was less cinematic and the lack of humour was solved by dropping Q into the story, the movie felt far more generic. It felt more a Dalton vehicle than his previous exploit. However nothing in this movie felt really Bond-spectacular, more like something nicked from the Miami Vice tv show with some aspects of 007 thrown in. The drugs smuggling & powerboat sequences had been done better by a tv show and felt overused by this time. And Daltons performance while decent still lacked some personality where the previous actors had mastered their own 007, even Lazenby!

Sadly the franchise entered a 6 year hiatus in which Dalton did deserve a swansong, the definite Dalton 007 movie.

He shall remain to me the least liked actor to play the part, mostly due to his output in the two movies.
    Very nicely put thoughts, @pachazo and @OHMSS69. Thanks!

Thank you also for the background info, OHMSS69 - I didn't remember People magazine putting Brosnan on the cover too soon; that's amusing. And yes, you pointed out correctly I feel that the humor with Dalton was a sore spot; it was lacking, or too different, for audiences to embrace.

Pachazo, I think that is interesting - Campbell directing Dalton. That would have been something special, I think, if it had been possible. I do love GE and CR so very much; they are such excellent films.

OK, my further two cents' worth:

Dalton's Bond was a big change. I accepted him at once, and so did most of my friends at that time - but I heard that others did not quite know what to make of him.
    I think that is because we had first had the very strong and memorable Connery - who imprinted Bond into our culture - a blip with Lazenby, and then 12 years of Roger Moore, who was very much his own man and his own Bond. I think the producers realized bringing Timothy in after Moore would be a fresh start, and it was. But I do not think they thought that apparently many people would find the change a bit startling, not know quite what to do with this new Bond.

After such a long, though varied, ride with Roger Moore, it was quite a big leap to the more grounded, serious Timothy Dalton. Roger had his own innate charm, suave, and wry humor was just an eyebrow lift or amusingly drawled line away ... Dalton was none of those things. Suave? He can wear a tux quite well, but Moore looked like he was born to wear one and mingle in that kind of society. Charm? Yes, actually I think Timothy had his own charm but it was more subtle that Moore's. Humor? Well, not really. I think Dalton handled the humor in TLD pretty well; his exasperated look at times seemed natural and amusing ... yet it was not his strong suit.

People were used to being entertained in a generally similar way, with Roger Moore's Bond films. Sure some were sillier at times than others, and Moore had some gritty moments I still love and appreciate ... but Dalton was portrayed, from the ground up so to speak, differently and more seriously - and audiences needed to adjust to that.

After the balanced, more serious yet also highly exciting and entertaining The Living Daylights, I eagerly went to see Licence to Kill. I felt saddened, disappointed, and almost like they had bludgeoned me with this film.

So bear with me, because I know many of you disagree. But as we are going over Dalton's era, I want to explain a little why I was so disappointed in LTK, having already been a big Dalton fan from TLD.

Most members on here, what what I have seen, really love Licence to Kill. I don't because it bothered me, it didn't entertain me. It wore me down, had too much sadism, and although I still loved Dalton in it, the whole story and presentation (as a Bond film) was disappointing to me. I felt Timothy deserved better. It had the look and feel of a drug cartel movie - not an exciting, adventurous, glamorous and at times fun Bond film. Please understand that I was fine with a more serious film, but it took on the same old tread of Hispanic drug lord, with details I found gruesome and not enjoyable. I do not like to watch this film; I get almost no pleasure from it, even though Pam is a great Bond girl, in my opinion.

For me, Licence to Kill went far too far in the grim and killing/revenge mode, with sadism thrown in and a main villain (although well acted by Davi) who was exciting or creatively original for me as a fan. The 1980's was a glut of crime/drug lords. It was the Miami Vice era (which I really enjoyed, by the way). I don't go to a Bond movie to see a drug cartel baddie that seems like he would fit into another TV show. This film lacked balance for me. I remember leaving the theatre with a friend, both of us grumbling a good deal. I still had faith in Timothy but I strongly wanted a different kind of film for Timothy's third Bond film. Alas, that was not to be. No third film from Dalton to this day makes me want to cry. =((
    SaintMark wrote:
    Timothy Dalton an unknown actor for me when he was announced, which left me somewhat dissapointed as I had expected Pierce Brosnan whose Remmington Steele I had watched courtesy of the NATO Americans in Europe.

So when I saw TLD on the 1st night in The Netherlands I saw a fairly Roger Mooresque style adventure with some great setpieces, the fight on the nets outside of the plane remains indeed one of the great and original stunts in the whole of the franchise. But most of all it felt like a script written for Roger Moore performed by somebody who lacked the humorous skills of him. It was still a beautifull crafted movie though.
    The largest weakness for me was the portrayal of Jeroen Krabbe's baddie, besides the fact that I dislike Krabbe and think that Rutger Hauer would be much better, but they played it safe and chose for the actor who would not outshine Timothy Dalton at any moment.

LTK another Dalton vehicle was less cinematic and the lack of humour was solved by dropping Q into the story, the movie felt far more generic. It felt more a Dalton vehicle than his previous exploit. However nothing in this movie felt really Bond-spectacular, more like something nicked from the Miami Vice tv show with some aspects of 007 thrown in. The drugs smuggling & powerboat sequences had been done better by a tv show and felt overused by this time. And Daltons performance while decent still lacked some personality where the previous actors had mastered their own 007, even Lazenby!

Sadly the franchise entered a 6 year hiatus in which Dalton did deserve a swansong, the definite Dalton 007 movie.

He shall remain me least liked actor to play the part, mostly due to his output in the two movies.

@MajorDSmythe's not gonna like this! ;-)
    Oh, MajorDSmythe and plenty of others will not like my comments, either.
    But this is a time for all of us to give our honest take on the Dalton era.
    I'm filling the moat around my home now, while typing this, and drawing up the drawbridge. ;)

Thanks, @SaintMark, for giving us your thoughts. I agree with much of what you wrote. Especially this: However nothing in this movie felt really Bond-spectacular, more like something nicked from the Miami Vice tv show with some aspects of 007 thrown in. The drugs smuggling & powerboat sequences had been done better by a tv show and felt overused by this time.

Mind you, I liked Dalton. Just not his second film.
    Indeed the Dalton movies feel rarely like they have Daltons voice, the first felt like it catered more to Brosnan or Moore and the second one was in essence an episode of Miami Vice, one of teh most influencial shows of that time. Only Don Johnson did it better and made it look cool, something Dalton could not match. In that sense I felt that the 2nd movie wasted Daltons talents instead of really gave him a voice of his own.

All other Bond performers had that movie and perhaps with the possible "Property of a lady" Dalton would have had his ultimate 007 movie.

I do like Dalton best in his more villainous choice of roles, he is a right basterd.
    The 1980's was a glut of crime/drug lords. It was the Miami Vice era (which I really enjoyed, by the way). I don't go to a Bond movie to see a drug cartel baddie that seems like he would fit into another TV show.
    I might feel like that too if not for the the helipad, then the giant opening doorway, then the hemispheric if not global implications of Sanchez's schemes. Then the gorram lair BLEW UP! To me, that was Bond.
    ;)
    Like Babs said, Tim took a beating and it was mostly due to his films, especially LTK. I never had a problem with him or the film. LTK is one of my favorite (top 3-4) and always will be.

Several have correctly noted the Miami vice influence. Since the 1970's the Bond movies had been following current trends instead of being trend setters themselves. (As had been the case in the early 60's films).

I have always felt that from the opening gun barrell sequence one get the feeling that this film, LTK is going to be different. I urge you to go back and watch the gun barrel sequence and pay close attention to the music. It is different and I got the impression that "better hang on to my butt".

The large number of sacrificial lamb fatalities and the graphic brutal deaths of the villains may have been much to bear, but I felt it was in keeping to the violent world of drug trafficking. I must admit, when Bond lit Sanchez's fire, it made my day.
    Like 4EverBonded, I was drained but I felt like it had been a satisfying experience.

I looked forward to Dalton's third film in two years. Unfortunately this was not to be.
    Sanchez would have killed Crocket & Tubbs IMO.
    Bond, he could not handle.
    Dalton had the hardest transition yet, taking over from the longest serving Bond ever, loved by a whole generation. Lazenby tried to be Connery after all, and Moore was not very different from Connery in DAF. Dalton was very different from what came before. One of the reasons why the opinion about him was so divided.
    We can't talk about Dalton's era without detailed analysis of his films, the polarizing LTK in particular.

I would like to submit to my fellow originals other action films that hit the theaters about the time LTK was playing. Predator (1987), Die Hard (1988) and Total Recall (1990). Predator and Die Hard are both violent an received "R" ratings for the violence. I was never bothered by these films because I felt the violence was in keeping with the narrative. Total Recall, I felt went too far.
    By comparison, the violence in LTK is tastefully done and much is left to the imagination. This technique was perfected by and used by directors like Alfred Hitchcock, et al. We hardly see any blood when Killifer meets his demise by shark; Della's rape and murder is not shown on camera, and same can be said for Dario's killing of Lupe's lover in the PTS. I thought the killing of Kang and his lover were pretty disturbing but no more than the death of Strangeways' secretary in DN.
    As for the villains' deaths, I cheered seeing them meet their maker. Krest, Dario, Keller, Truman Lodge and finally Sanchez.

None of this hurt LTK at box office. The film did not gross as much as TLD and it came out amidst stiff competition that summer. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Batman, Ghostbusters II, another Friday the 13th, Star Trek V, etc. This is what LTK went up against.

@OHMSS69, again, excellent observations. =D>
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    The film did not gross as much as TLD and it came out amidst stiff competition that summer. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Batman, Ghostbusters II, another Friday the 13th, Star Trek V, etc. This is what LTK went up against.
    Correct. Also, don't forget Back To The Future Part II and Lethal Weapon 2. What a crowded summer it was! Unfortunately, I think that this caused EON to stop releasing Bond films in the summer, which is something that I really miss.
    pachazo wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    The film did not gross as much as TLD and it came out amidst stiff competition that summer. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Batman, Ghostbusters II, another Friday the 13th, Star Trek V, etc. This is what LTK went up against.
    Correct. Also, don't forget Back To The Future Part II and Lethal Weapon 2. What a crowded summer it was! Unfortunately, I think that this caused EON to stop releasing Bond films in the summer, which is something that I really miss.

It is True that this 007 had a lot of competition, and it keeps being given as a reason for the lesser boxoffice. I am still of the opinion that Timothy Dalton was the other reason, he just did not work for the general audience as Sean Connery & Roger Moore had done. His performance in the 007 franchise made people look for other options and there were plenty movies that summer I rate higher than LTK as did the general audience.
    And after all it is not the fans but the general audience attendance that pay the bills. Had Daniel Craigs first movie CR been a box Office dissapointment I am not sure we would have had QoB.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I honestly don't believe that Moore (and not just because of his advancing years) or Brosnan, could have done The Living Daylights any justice. To me, it is Dalton that is the driving force behind both films. And unlike Brosnan, Dalton was very pro-active in his era, offering up more than reusing a cheap joke, that wasn't funny the first time.
    Oh I so agree that TLD is made for Dalton alone. I cannot picture any other Bond actor doing it as well. :)

And Timothy had a birthday a few days ago. So good timing, this discussion!