Was the "Other Fella" line the silliest part of the Lazenby "era"?

edited February 2015 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,552
Breaking the fourth wall was a bit odd and it gave weight to anyone arguing Tamahori's Code Name Theory. Either that, or the lace doily that he wears around his neck:-

06-bond-lazenby415.jpg

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    For me, it has to be the Jamaican girl eating a banana seductively...I'll leave that one there...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That line for me.
  • "The other fellow" line is one of the highlights of Lazenby's film, if you ask me. Gotta just love the cheekiness of it. (It'd be 10x better if it'd actually been ad-libbed by Lazenby.)
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    edited February 2015 Posts: 805
    Love that line. The whole dubbed Hilary Bray stuff I find far more silly. A really odd decision to have the fella you were introducing as the new Bond sound like an upper class twit for a sizeable chunk of the movie.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    For me, it has to be the Jamaican girl eating a banana seductively...
    Easily the most offensive moment, but the silliest part was the 'stiffening' line & the endless seduction bits.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Maybe more cringeworthy than silly, but the "He had a lot of guts" line.
    Kerim wrote: »
    First time I saw OHMSS in my twenties I thought that line was idiotic. Now it's just stupid.

• ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    His whole performance. The man had never acted in his life and it showed. Back to smoking weed with the hippies and practicing free love
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    For me, it has to be the Jamaican girl eating a banana seductively...I'll leave that one there...

Agreed, I found this particularly disturbing when I recently saw the film.

I actually really liked the fourth wall break. As I did Connery's wink at the camera at the end of NSNA

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I knew this would be the next in line! OHMSS is flawless for me!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DAF is the silliest part of the Lazenby era, should have been a badass revenge flick.
  • DAF is the silliest part of the Lazenby era, should have been a badass revenge flick.

The silliest thing about DAF in the Lazenby era was that it featured this fluffly looking actor called Sean Connery :-P.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    chrisisall wrote: »
    For me, it has to be the Jamaican girl eating a banana seductively...
    Easily the most offensive moment, but the silliest part was the 'stiffening' line & the endless seduction bits.

You must be joking. That was a great line. Especially as Bond played the Sir Hilary role pretending not to be interested. Which ultimately become his undoing.
    I find OHMSS to be mostly flawless, but if I had to pick a moment, it would be Blofeld and his hypnosis. Not only in the rooms when the lights flash and we hear his voice. But also during the scene when the girls are hypnotised in the Alpine room, and they open their gifts.
    "Every night at exactly 12o'clock you must be alone so you can listen for my voice."

I mean, is this actually conceivable or probable.
    A few months after these girls have returned home, "Hey Ruby why do you disappear at midnight every night. I saw you in a trance like state soon after as well. What gives?"
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Love that line. The whole dubbed Hilary Bray stuff I find far more silly. A really odd decision to have the fella you were introducing as the new Bond sound like an upper class twit for a sizeable chunk of the movie.

Totally agree, and always thought this was an odd decision. Haven't gotten to the corresponding book yet but I'm looking forward to reading it.
    Benny wrote: »
    You must be joking. That was a great line. Especially as Bond played the Sir Hilary role pretending not to be interested. Which ultimately become his undoing.
    Well, okay, it WAS funny. Just all the seduction bits coupled with all Barry's wahh wahh horns seemed a little much is all.
    Kerim wrote: »

I loved that line, but the Norwegian subtitles said "He was very brave". Now that is silly, but we do not use that "guts" metaphor here.
  • Nope. I will go for the banana scene, too.
  • Love that line. The whole dubbed Hilary Bray stuff I find far more silly. A really odd decision to have the fella you were introducing as the new Bond sound like an upper class twit for a sizeable chunk of the movie.

Totally agree, and always thought this was an odd decision. Haven't gotten to the corresponding book yet but I'm looking forward to reading it.

Apparently, from what I've read, Lazenby didn't know he would be dubbed until he actually saw the film. Wonder if it was the producers just sticking two fingers up to him, since there were reported fallings out during production?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Nothing silly about OHMSS.
    Could have been though. In several of the original script drafts, Bond was supposed to be locked up in a cage with a monkey. Read all about it in this wonderful book:

OHMSS1.jpg
    I think the line was simply a throw away one in stating the obvious that it wasn't Connery.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I think the line was simply a throw away one in stating the obvious that it wasn't Connery.
    Obviously. I do go back on forth on how much I like the line. It really doesn't bug me.
    Me either. I just take it as a glass slipper reference.
    ;)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I liked it too. ;)
    What if Craig, being tied up in his chair , started whining "This never happened to those five other fellows!" ? Who is for it?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2015 Posts: 9,117
    I am probably alone here but I find the stock car sequence rather inane. Why don't SPECTRE just stop and wait for them to come round again and then shoot the shit out of the car?

The film has to stop for 5 minutes to accommodate this unnecessary sequence and defuses a lot of the tension from the bit where Bond gets shot at in the phone box with a scene more fitting for a Rog film.

Why on earth they didn't just go with Fleming's original idea of Bond forcing them over a cliff is beyond me.
    What if Craig, being tied up in his chair , started whining "This never happened to those five other fellows!" ? Who is for it?

That's a rather facile argument. If Craig said 'Do you expect me to talk Le Chiffre?' that would also be crap too.

Yes, I find the whole dubbed scene silly, and almost ruins the movie for me. I cringe at the `guns make me nervous' bit at the end too during the action scenes, when Hunt and co. are obviously experimenting and playing around in the edit room, sticking in unnecessary stuff for the sake of it. It really stands out as odd that moment, and doesn't fit in at all with what is happening during the attack on Piz Gloria.

I don't really mind the dubbing, in fact I hardly even notice it now at all. :D
    I can't understand why they did it ? Sure use the old movie stunt of putting on
    A pair of glasses, as a disguise etc, but Lazenby sounded fine to me.
  • What if Craig, being tied up in his chair , started whining "This never happened to those five other fellows!" ? Who is for it?

Given how daft DAF is, I'm surprised Connery didn't ad-lib a line like "ah, I feel like me again" or "it's good to be back!" :D
    Or when he meets Blofeld "I'm sorry, I wasn't myself when we last met"
    I always thought the line .
    " We do function in your absence, Commander "
    Was a little dig at Connery from the Producers. ;)
  • JCRendle wrote: »
    Or when he meets Blofeld "I'm sorry, I wasn't myself when we last met"

That would've been fantastic. Especially if Blofeld had come back with "me neither, Bond, let us start anew."