Is mi6-hq.com going dark on Jan 18th?

edited January 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 2,782
Any important event is going to happen to the world of digital communication on Jan 18th. I see it as state funded cyber terrorism and suppression of free speech and thinking. If this is implemented we would have no Arab Spring, no exposure of police brutality, videos of cute little animals in jam jars or even linking Skyfall production images.

Do you agree with the American Govt on what they are about to do?

Read all about it here!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interactive/2011/dec/23/sopa-stop-online-piracy-act

And stop it here!

http://sopastrike.com/

Edited for swearing twice (DarthDimi)

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited January 2012 Posts: 23,562
    Mod message: @forgotmyusername

There's no need to swear, even if you are angry. Whatever the issue you wish to address, no matter how much it upsets, please refrain from blatantly ignoring our language policy, which you violated twice in the post above.
  • understood - darth I was just being ironic with John Wayne type of american cursing. It was not the f word, it was not the s word. It was just what my catechism tutor would frown upon.

This is even more ironic based on the subject about censorship.

Thanks for the heads up but I don't think, no, it was not swearing to me. But rules are rules.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I say go to blackout MI6. Support the cause. If this passes, the government may be in danger. Its people will have to realize they are getting screwed over sooner or later. One turns to a hundred, a hundred turns to a thousand. The charge leads for opposition.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    If only the forums, it'd be something.
    I say support the cause.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    SOPA isn't happening, so the blackout is redundant.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Any proof?
    Leadership in the Whitehouse and Congress have both said SOPA is going nowhere. Check out CNN.

Sites should keep their powder dry for when it really matters,
  • is this a joke?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think mi6 will need more - a lot more before going dark on us, fans.
    Respect.
  • Over the weekend, the Stop Online Piracy Act was dealt a major blow as the legislation was delayed until "outstanding concerns" have been addressed. SOPA will not move forward in the House as the official vote was been cancelled and the bill has been yanked from the floor. Representative and SOPA opponent Darrell Issa cheered this as a win for the internet community - but he warned that SOPA's Senate cousin PIPA is still a major concern.

He's right, and SOPA is still a concern as well. While it has been delayed, SOPA is not dead. It is entirely possible that SOPA could resurrect once a "consensus is reached." SOPA must be destroyed while vulnerable.

And presumably, that's why many sites will still participate in a scheduled blackout on Wednesday, January 18th to protest the legislation.

Now what am I going to have for lunch tomorrow? Ummmmm...
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I knew this was how the world would end in 2012 ;)
  • nah gotta wait until later on in the year when weirdo Star Wars director believes the world will end because of a Mayan plate; 21st of Dec 2012 end game.

However, stranger things have happened like a 5ft 10 ginger blonde hulk playing James Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    nah gotta wait until later on in the year when weirdo Star Wars director believes the world will end because of a Mayan plate; 21st of Dec 2012 end game.

However, stranger things have happened like a 5ft 10 ginger blonde hulk playing James Bond.

I'd rather have Dan than either George, Roger, or Pierce.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator

If in doubt, bash Craig. @-)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Samuel001 wrote:

If in doubt, bash Craig. @-)

And if you're still in doubt, bash every other Bond than Connery.
  • Not bashing Craig just making a point about freedom of speech. Sopa Opera will even stop me saying this.

DC has been the most watchable character out of two films so far by the way. Connery is god.
    I think we're taking this lighter then we should.

If it gose through, it will proberbly mean to keep MI6 online our already hard working Mods will have to check every new discussion, every change to a Member page and every single new post before the rest of the world see it! I'm pretty sure that's impossible. We could even get slapped for something like J7wilds Tiger avatar

So let your voice be heard here on a potition set up by google:
    https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
    Virage wrote:
    If it gose through

But it isn't. Check the n-e-w-s.
    Well, since MI6-HQ didn't go dark yesterday, we can safely assume that it will be January 18, 2013.