Octopussy or The Living Daylights?

edited March 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 11,189
I rank these two films firmly in the middle category of my list - i.e. the fairly run-of-the-mill but nonetheless entertaining outings. They both seem to get quite a lot of love on this site so I was wondering which people would favour.

Comments

• edited March 2011 Posts: 19,339
    For me it's Octopussy easily - it's at #6 on my list compared to the mundane TLD at #21.
    Sir Roger is brilliant in it,the exotic locations,great stunts,beautiful women,and memorable villains in Prince Kamal Khan,Gobinda,and General Orlov.
    Its weird, theres always a tit for tat element when comparing those two (OP does this better but TLD does that better). At the moment Daylights JUST edges it but OP isn't far behind.
    i choose TLD
  • LudsLuds MIA
    TLD by a mile, but I still love OP quite a lot. TLD is simply put, the last masterpiece in Bond history. OP is simply just very good ;)
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Is Daylights a masterpiece? Its certainly a good film but not really a "masterpiece". GE and CR are far stronger films overall IMO. Better villains, better Bond girls, less convoluted stories.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Octopussy just takes it here. Both great films that feel as if they belong together. Roger Moore on top form and some great villains and scenes can't hurt either.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited March 2011 Posts: 3,262
    TLD. The best Bond film made post-TB IMHO. However, I am quite fond of OP also. They were certainly the two best 1980s Bond films. OP is a more conventional, audience pleasing Bond film while TLD is more like a precursor of CR. I consider OP and TLD the GF and FRWL respectively of the 1980s Bond films.

So far on this thread:

OP-2
    TLD-4
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    OP-1
    TLD-5

OP is still great, I always enjoy watching that one.
  • TLD is my 2nd favorite Bond of all time, ranks much higher than OP even though i love both.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    I love TLD it's got everything you'd want from a classic Bond film except maybe a decent villain but just think of all those classic scenes, meeting Saunders in the opera house, sitting next to Saunders while Koscov escapes, arguing with Saunders by the car, arguing with Saunders in the car, meeting Saunders in another opera house, meeting Saunders at the funfair, not arguing with Saunders in a bar, watching Saunders get killed etc...
    OP is very much a middle of the road type of Bond film, it's not bad but nor is it great, and it doesn't even have Saunders in it!!!
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    TLD is a great film. OP is pretty good too but TLD is a better film overall, but the character Octopussy herself is better than Kara
  • TLD edges out OP but just barely. I prefer Dalton to Moore and OP got a little too silly in some spots (ie. the tarzan yell which bothers me every time I see it). TLD is just a more solid film, but I enjoy them both.
    TLD is in my top 5. Brilliant Bond film.
    Can a poll be added to this one, please?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Quoting PrinceKamalKhan:
    Can a poll be added to this one, please?
    Do we have polls now @PrinceKamalKhan? That's (good) news to me.
    There's one on the TLD vs. LTK thread which shows how many votes for each film.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,986
    Quoting PrinceKamalKhan: Can a poll be added to this one, please?
    We're still testing the poll feature, but sure ;)
    Edit: Done!
    Thanks Luds! :)
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,986
    Woo-hoo! 100% for TLD :-" (I can always reset the polls to keep it this way) :-))
    OP is a great Bond film, and I have it in my top 10, but TLD is a true classic of a Bond film.
    TLD

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, where with OP the opposite is true
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Quoting Luds: Woo-hoo! 100% for TLD :-"
    (I can always reset the polls to keep it this way)
    Octobenny WILL have to have words.

X(

Living on the edge
    OR
    James Bond's All time high.

It say it all really. OP, all the way.
    and how we can vote on poll?cause there are only 3 votes for TLD and before there was atleast 5
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    For me, OP and TLD are equal in many respects, except in terms of comedy. I really think TLD delivers its comedy a lot better than OP. That said, I'm glad they left the magical flying carpet out the film or else I might have to blow my own point here. As far as the Bonds go, I find it hard to choose. Yes, I'm a fierce Daltonite, but I also think Roger gave one of his best performances in OP. Either way, TLD is my favourite of these two.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    No competition, TLD. I would take even the TLD gun barrel over the whole of OP.
    edited March 2011 Posts: 3,262
    Quoting MajorDSmythe:
    No competition, TLD. I would take even the TLD gun barrel
    over the whole of OP.
    Don't TLD and OP both have musically identical gunbarrels?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2011 Posts: 13,882
    I think OP, AVTAK & TLD have similar sounding gunbarrel themes, which is why I prefer the LTK gunbarrel theme to the TLD one.
  • TLD
    I'd have to say Octopussy on this one. Over Roger and Timothy, I'd pick Roger. Out of the villains, OP has the lead. Kamal Khan and General Orlov were far more formidable than Georgi Koskov and Brad Whitaker, and Gobinda was bigger and more fearful than Necros, although he was creepy as well. The storyline was easier to follow as well!
    TLD gets my vote for sure ..