The mi6forums post archive is already gone?

DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
edited March 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 15,686
It keeps telling me "The requested URL /viewforum.php was not found on this server."

So all the posts are now gone?

Comments

My God it has gone you are right DC007....lucky i got some of my threads over here in time earlier,it says 'account suspended'.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Man, I don't understand one bit of this forum. I didn't even see I was posting this thread in the news forum.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,986
    Quoting DaltonCraig007: Man, I don't understand one bit of this forum. I didn't even see I was posting this thread in the news forum.
    When you create a new post there's a box with drop down filter where you can specify a Category.
    Mi6.co.uk and mi6forums.com now redirects to commanderbond.net. Interesting... Did they somehow obtain thsese domain names?
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,400
    and the # of posts you made is now reset to -0-. not a fan so far, way too much of a facebook influence.
    1. We got a new forum with new design and new functions. Ok, it's not a problem for me, I like it so far.

2. The memebers were not notified abot the change in advance. Ok, I think we can handle that.

3. Even now we do not get a proper explanation why this change was needed and why it was needed so suddenly. Now, that is a problem. At least for me. I have been a member here for only about 4 years and even I feel like I deserve a proper explanation about this situation. (And there are a lot of members who have been here for a lot longer time than me).
  • Quoting PanchitoPistoles: Mi6.co.uk and mi6forums.com now redirects to commanderbond.net. Interesting... Did they somehow obtain thsese domain names?
    Yeah, that was interesting. I was gonna run back and get the Bond Bibliography back on here and ended up at CB.n and was mega confused.
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    Subtle, that redirection. It's almost as if the staff is saying "You want old MI6? Go to CB.n."
  • If you want old MI6, you know where to go, Tubes.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    At least you can see what MI6 is actually saying. I'd much rather white than black.
  • w7w7
    Hi there everybody, w7 from the old MI6 forums here (hell, we aren't allowed two-letter usernames anymore so I had to change to a three-letter name).

Well, as good as this new "community" looks, the old forums were not only a discussion forum but also an archive of projects and interesting debates. We had a "find a thread thread" and a "greatest posts archive" there for a reason: Many of us liked to go back to some of the old stuff we created in many years and 1,000,000+ posts.

So right now I'd really like to know the answer to two questions:

1) Why wasn't it possible to inform the members that such a radical change would happen all of a sudden?

2) Will it be possible to access some of the old stuff? (The "MI6 Forums Archive" link which was working a few hours ago now redirects to CB.n. Why is that?)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Quoting spy: 2) Will it be possible to access some of the old stuff? (The "MI6 Forums
    Archive" link which was working a few hours ago now redirects to CB.n. Why is
    that?)

I know the answer to question 2 is no. There was a set amount of time to get threads over to the new forum before the site went down and now it's gone, it's gone. The old threads are sadly lost forever. So now for some reason it links to CB.N

And w7, you could have always chosen w7. as your username. ;-)
  • Aren't there internet archive websites that offer most major sites at past dates?
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    But when they said set amount of time, surely they did not mean a few hours. That's ridiculous.

I've been on only a few forums in my life. Some of those have overhauled. ALL of them were able to leave the old forum as an archive. One left PMs available for one month so we could save them.

That archive must be accessible again. At least for a week or two. Otherwise there is no point in posting in this new forum. We can't build a community knowing it's worthless to the leaders and that at any time it could be burned to the ground.

Seriously.... In the past YEAR or TWO, the admins could not have said: when the update happens, this forum will be gone so save as you go. ?>?? Really?

• LudsLuds MIA
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,986
    Quoting retrokitty: That archive must be accessible again. At least for a week or two. Otherwise there is no point in posting in this new forum. We can't build a community knowing it's worthless to the leaders and that at any time it could be burned to the ground.

Seriously.... In the past YEAR or TWO, the admins could not have said: when the update happens, this forum will be gone so save as you go. ?>?? Really?
    I'm sure it's not that simple kitty.
    The archive isn't available right now, there's no reason to believe it won't ever again unless there's an official notice. And if it isn't, well it's extremely sad but I wouldn't simply assume the administrators are careless. I'm certain they do care. Building a new community is quite exciting as well.
    Like I said to you elsewhere. People will not invest as they did before (which is needed to build a NEW community) when they know it can be burned at any moment.

The upgrade promised for so long made no mention of a new community. I can honestly see how James might have been sick of some of us and wanted to start fresh, with a new format and new people. But why not just say so.

I like the guy and I like the fact that there was this place to go to discuss Bond. I honestly thought that the OLD community was somewhat important to the main site and to success of the Best Bond Site on the Net.

This new site isn't for older members to reinvest, Kitts.

It's to wipe the slate clean and start out with a fresh batch. You, me, Tux, Kyvan, Moore, and every other long-term member from the previous forum are now considered expendable.

As the owner said so himself: http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/562#Comment_562

Your complaints are not welcome. Use the new site. Love the new site. Or hit the road.

Heartwarming, huh?
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    I don't think that's really fair, Brandon.

Look, I woke up this morning in the same boat as everyone else: To find the forum I've posted on since 2005 had vanished. Honestly, I had some inkling that there were going to be a few changes, but I had no idea of just how dramatic they were going to be.

What I will say is that I'm 100% positive that this wasn't done to discourage members from being a part of this new community or to imply they were expendable. Sometimes there are other factors at play that we just don't know about. I think people should stop seeing the changes as a personal attack and see them for what they are.

Personally, I'd have loved to have had a bit more forewarning and perhaps some Beta testing, but that isn't always possible.
    I've only been posting for 1.5 years but I feel shafted. They shoulda told us. And the attitude should be better. This like or lump stuff is bollocks.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 886
    I really feel for those who put an extraordinary amount of their time and knowledge into the old site and will they " do it all over again? " Probably not as it would be exhausting.
    I'm feeling it's hard to summon up the old enthusiasm.

Maybe I've missed it, so if James has come out and said, "We had no idea that the old forum would become inaccessible. We thought to save it as an archive and we're going to try to do that. But it's a surprise to us too. We're working on getting this one up and running and will keep you posted on the other one when we know more."... Well, that, genuine or not, would have gone a long way. That said, I'd not want to be the one being attacked and I'd have likely lashed back in some ways like James has done (admitted and made apologies for)...

So, yea, I'm disappointed, I am a bit hurt (lack of communication tends to give one the feeling of being ignored or not being appreciated), and I'm a bit lost in the new format.

BUT, James gave us a great home for many years. He's carried a huge burden with the help of few people behind the scenes and a few more as moderators through the years. I'm not going to stop commenting on what would be nice to add to this new forum, and I'm not going to stop asking for the archives... But I am going to stop doing both with a sense of anger. It won't change what James is doing and it only pisses me off more and inflames the threads.

Brandon, I know what you are talking about completely. Same with Tux and FS and the rest. Let's keep the communication going and hopefully we can help to get things in order. We've got nothing to lose in being productive rather than negative.

There is no point in moving to another forum. There is no point in disbanding either. I really like the people here. I come to the community for the group. Sure a few are personal friends but it's the group atmosphere that keeps me coming back.

Let's just see what happens before we make sweeping statements about the forum and its owners. I just want to right my wrong... I could have been more productive in my comments about the archive. I'm sorry I was not. I will be less emotional in any further requests I make for the archives to be made available to us.

Quoting doubleonothing: I think people should stop seeing the changes as a personal attack and see them for what they are.
    Well, I disagree with you.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    I don't know who owns or owned MI6 forum but just the fact that the old Forum now links to Commander Bond, I have to presume there were some other issues we don't know about. Maybe the owner needed $$$ and he sold out to Commander Bond or Commander Bond offered to buy him out as a way to get rid of its main competition!
  • LudsLuds MIA
    I've posted what I know, I'll close this discussion as it mainly answers the same thing

Please head over there
This discussion has been closed.