What Henry Cavill looked like when he auditioned for Bond in 2005.

edited April 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,594

Comments

Certainly was too young at 22 for the part, but he definitely has that Bond look to him. Hope he gets another shot testing for the role after Craig's tenure.

Now we just need to find video of the screentest...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Not convinced based on this photo but one thing I've learned in terms of casting Bond actors is that sometimes you're in for a surprise. So if after Craig's time they recruit this fellow, I'll patiently await those first publication shots, and like Craig's winning me over completely, so might they in this man's case. My comments are therefore fairly neutral: I don't know the man well enough to pass judgement hic et nunc.
  • i like him but he could have made the effort and cut his hair for the audition like GL did. I think it's between him and Assbender, who has grown me, after DC hangs up his moody face.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2011 Posts: 4,416
    If there whant Cavill, DC should play the part for 5 movies and Cavill first Bond movie be seen in 2020 at the age of 39.

I think we should focus that Daniel Craig playing in vijf movies.

DC Craig is possible the last James Bond actor who be cast who is older then me. Henry Cavill is from 1983. But if there take actor from 1977 then he is 3 years older then me and 39 Years old in 2017, Cavill be 36 in 2017. But in this case i said DC last outing be for Bond 25 and end with a total of 4 movies like Brosnan, But let we say we the audince and Eon whant him for a fift movie in 2020, then Cavill is 39.

Funny about this age of 39 that it be between DC start and Brosnan start. Daniel Craig start when he whas 37, Brosnan started at the age of 41.

If Daniel Craig grow each movie, the next one get a dificult job, mabey this can be ignored the next Bond have more humor. Cavil have 8-9 years to proof he be that guy and not turn in actor like Colin Farell.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Quoting M_Balje: If Daniel Craig grow each movie, the next one get a dificult job
    That is true. With Brosnan replaced by Craig, we traded up in many respects. And Craig has raised the bar enormously. On the other hand, Craig is distinct enough to make him much rather the "different" Bond instead of the "better" Bond (although he is one of the better Bonds to me, personally). So replacing Craig will not be easy but with him being unlike most of the others, there's a good chance the next Bond at least won't try to be Craig II.
    blockquote>Quoting M_Balje: DC Craig is possible the last James Bond actor who be cast who is older then me.
    Henry Cavill is from 1983. But if there take actor from 1977 then he is 3 years
    older then me and 39 Years old in 2017, Cavill be 36 in 2017. But in this case i
    said DC last outing be for Bond 25 and end with a total of 4 movies like
    Brosnan, But let we say we the audince and Eon whant him for a fift movie in
    2020, then Cavill is 39.

Your math is off a bit. If he was born in '83, then he would be 34 in '17 and 37 in '20. Depends on how he matures I guess. And I don't like that photo. He looks like a grease ball. You can't shave or cut your hair? Or even comb it, for a huge audition like this? Scuzzy skank.
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 4,813
    Quoting forgotmyusername: but he could have made the effort and cut his hair for the audition like GL did.

For real! If I was going to an audition for JAMES FREAKING BOND (even if I was in another movie at the time, like I suspect he was) I would have tried my best to look the part!!
    Quoting Agent005: Certainly was too young at 22 for the part,
    See- I'm inclined to agree right away, but I must admit I'm on the fence about the age thing. I'm 28 myself (Cavill is 2 months younger than me!) and I've worked with guys that I would have SWORN were older than me-- only so be surprised and hear 22, 21, etc. It's cause they were in the military! That **** grows you up FAST. I'm not saying they looked old- but they had a maturity about them- like they had a lifetimes worth more experience than I did.
    And my point, as Bond was in the Royal Navy, it wouldn't have been that out of the question to see him as a young man. But, like I said, I'm on the fence- I still like seeing 'experienced Bond' at the movies.
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 2,594
    Maybe he couldn't cut his hair because he had another movie on the go...or maybe not. Maybe he was auditioning for another role he cared more about which required him to have longer hair. Personally, if I preferred having longer to short hair, which I do, I don't think I would cut it just for a Bond audition because I might not even get it. The casting directors usually look past this anyway. They ask you before hand if you are willing to cut your hair for the part. There's usually something you have to sign.

He has a good look Cavill. He is too young there but he certainly isn't a young looking 22 year old. I think when he's around 35 which would be in 2018 he would be appropriate for Bond.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    While Cavill was too young in 2006, CR being Bond's first mission, Craig was too old. Someone in the middle of them, about 29/30 years old would have worked better with the way the film was written. I don't buy a 22 years old as Bond, and I sure don't buy a 38 years old as a rookie 00.
    Broken record, DC007. You've said this a million times. Craig as a PERSON was 38, the character... they never say. He doesn't look that age to me. Maybe 33 or so. Perfect age for rookie 00.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2011 Posts: 15,686
    Bond's official biography written for the film says he was born in April '68. So if I follow what EON wants me to believe, Craig Bond was 38 in CR. And besides, do you honestly think Craig is believable for the age of 33? He has too much world-weariness and maturity for that. And honestly, DN is not Bond's first mission, yet he was meant to believe Connery was a 00 for several years prior. So he must have been a rookie since he was 27/28 years old.
    Forgive me if I've got the facts wrong- but Sean Connery was 32 in Dr No- and states that he used the Beretta for 10 years. Is that correct?
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited April 2011 Posts: 1,699
    Well, this is how he looks six years later...

He's ageing certainly. Not necessarily old enough in looks yet perhaps (mind, he's only, what, 31?), but in another five years' time? Maybe... maybe.

Quite frankly, it'll all come down to which direction Eon wants to go in and whether his Superman role goes more than one successful film as to whether he's likely to get the gig or not. We'll simply have to wait and see.

What I think is fair to say is that, like it or not, he's certainly got the right look for Superman. Intriguingly, that makes my bonce wonder then whether that means he has the right look for Bond. I'm sure I've no idea what the answer is to that, though, or whether it really has anything to do with anything... ;)
    As of May, he is 28 years old now. I know, cause he's the same age as me!
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    @Master_Dahark Ah, yes, good point. For some reason I was reading '22' up there for '25'. Clearly my brain's not in gear today...! #-O
    Why the hell can't these young actors shave anymore?!? I'm sick of this sloppness. Have some pride in your appearance, boys. >:p Does he walk around with his pants hanging off his arse?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Quoting The_Reaper: Why the hell can't these young actors shave anymore?!? I'm sick of this
    sloppness.
    From what I can gather it's "in style" for the young generation though I can't stand it either and shave every day.

Rant over.
    Quoting The_Reaper: Why the hell can't these young actors shave anymore?!? I'm sick of this sloppness. Have some pride in your appearance, boys. >:P Does he walk around with his pants hanging off his arse?

Cavill not shave because he want "to eliminate" his pretty boyish looks
    I'm not against the long hair look; I'd totally have long hair myself (except that I have wavy hair and I'd look like my sister)
    but if I was auditioning for JAMES BOND? Yeah I'd have short hair, and shave
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Funny, but when Moore, Brozzer and Craig were announced as Bond they all needed a good haircut.
    Bounine wrote:

No wonder they gave it to the blonde guy when he had hair like that!

They might the right choice too. Definitely! Have only seen Cavill in one Woody Allen film but thought he was a bit OTT English public school boy. Craig brings a nice chipiness.
  • Getafix wrote:
    Bounine wrote:

No wonder they gave it to the blonde guy when he had hair like that!

They might the right choice too. Definitely! Have only seen Cavill in one Woody Allen film but thought he was a bit OTT English public school boy. Craig brings a nice chipiness.

It could be that he needed to keep the hair and stubble for a film that he was in the middle of shooting...

When I first heard his name I was shocked to discover that he had a small part in The Count of Monte Cristo (great film BTW, one that proves they still make them "like they used to"). He looked far too young and pretty boy but he's matured and grown into his looks considerably. Will he be too old when Craig is done? Who can tell. Don't know any thing about his acting ability but I've heard good things about him.

Does everyone else think that acting ability will be seen as far more important for future Bonds now that Craig has raised the bar?
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,425
    I think after the success of DC in the role it will be difficult for them to throw another clothes horse onto the set and expect audiences to accept it.

That said, I assumed this would be the case after Dalton as well and yet we all know what happened next.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 2,594
    Cavill has a great look for Bond. Do you think Eon would still want him as Bond now that he's playing Superman?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Bounine wrote:
    Cavill has a great look for Bond. Do you think Eon would still want him as Bond now that he's playing Superman?

No.
    I can't imagine who could play Bond after Craig.
    Bounine wrote:

No.
    I think it depends. There isn't the stigma any more of type casting. And the are so many franchise characters around that it's hard to find someone who hasn't been in a series.

Harrison Ford went from Han Solo to Indiana Jones, Mel Gibson went from Mad Max to Lethal Weapon, maybe Cavill can be Superman and Bond. I guess it depends on how he does as the man of steel.

But then, by 2019/20 there will be some currently unknown actor in his mid 30s who may come right off the peg.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Those aren't really good comparisons.

Ford was Han Solo but he didn't go on to take on the role of Indy from a successor. These are all original characters where the actors you mentioned are't the successors to any one. Bond and Superman have had previous actors in the role so it's almost guaranteed that if you're going to be superman, an iconic character in his own right, arguably more iconic than James Bond, there's just no way you're going to also be cast as 007.
    edited December 2012 Posts: 7,567
    Fair comment @doubleoego. I'm not entirely convinced that being Superman will mean he has no hope of Bond, unless of course Superman is a success and he is tied in to a multi film contract.

Times change if he only makes one or two Superman films then I believe he could be in the frame. If he isn't, well I won't lose any sleep.
  • doubleoego wrote:
    Those aren't really good comparisons.

Ford was Han Solo but he didn't go on to take on the role of Indy from a successor. These are all original characters where the actors you mentioned are't the successors to any one.
    True but then again, Roger took the role after Connery despite being well known as The Saint.