Rupert Everett as Ian Fleming's James Bond

edited June 2014 in Fan Creations Posts: 1,661
Image comparison - only his hairline has been changed:

264gw2e.jpg

When he played Sherlock Holmes he reminded me of Fleming's drawing of James Bond.

re10.jpg

He expressed an interest in playing the part but his sexuality - he is openly gay - was an obstacle to being cast.

Quote from 2004:

“I'd like to play James Bond, but straight. It won't happen because Bond fans would burn down MGM if the studios got a gay actor to play James Bond. There was never going to be an alternative gay Bond either. That never happened.”

He is now too old for the part, age 55.

Comments

He is indeed one of my guilty pleasures when it comes to seeing James Bond 007.
    I seem to remember his name coming up more than one time after Brosnan was out. His looks would have been splendid for the role, and I think he´s a pretty good actor too.
    I agree though that an openly gay actor playing James Bond could have a hard time being accepted publicly.
    He was too old in 2004 too. In fact, regardless of his homosexuality, I never thought he could have played Bond. There is something way too foppish about his mannerism.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote:
    He was too old in 2004 too. In fact, regardless of his homosexuality, I never thought he could have played Bond. There is something way too foppish about his mannerism.

Agreed, though he would be a sure bet to bring the elegance back to Bond.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    @fanbond123 Interesting you should post that pic, I'm working on something quite similar. On topic, I agree with @Ludovico about Everett's mannerism.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He would have been 100 times better than Brosnan. Who cares where he puts his thing when the cameras are turned off. As long as the fans are not turned off.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited June 2014 Posts: 5,080
    Yes, that photo of Everett does have a striking resemblance to Fleming's drawing. I can't really form an opinion on this as I haven't seen Rupert in many films or productions, but the things I have seen him in, I do like. As for his homosexuality, it doesn't faze me in the slightest. As long as BOND isn't gay, then I see no objection to it.

Edit- looking at some photos and videos of him, he does have a very Bondian vibe about him.
    In all honesty, I only saw him as Sherlock Holmo, but he was great there.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    As for his homosexuality, it doesn't faze me in the slightest. As long as BOND isn't gay, then I see no objection to it.

This.

At least he is white. ;))
    He looks a little bit like the late great Robert Culp in that top photo too - a very underrated actor.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

That's the only thing he would have brought. He never struck me as Bond material.
    What was the line he gave Julia Roberts while dancing with her in "My Best Friend's Wedding"? I think it went: "Bond....Jane Bond".
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

That's the only thing he would have brought. He never struck me as Bond material.

What exactly is Bond material, as I see the diversity between the various actors I do not see a clear line.

There is no clear line, but I would say he needs a certain kind of beauty, he needs to be masculine/virile. Regardless of his sexual orientation. I wouldn't suggest Brad Pitt as Bond, even if he was British. There is something foppish about Rupert Everett in every single role I have seen him playing.
    Ludovico wrote:
    There is no clear line, but I would say he needs a certain kind of beauty, he needs to be masculine/virile. Regardless of his sexual orientation. I wouldn't suggest Brad Pitt as Bond, even if he was British. There is something foppish about Rupert Everett in every single role I have seen him playing.

The same as Hugh Grant who was linked to the role around the time Pierce Brosnan was chosen as the next Bond in 1994.
    Ludovico wrote:

I might have seen more of him and do tell that the man is more capable than just doing foppish.

The man is a very good actor, he would have been an asset for the 007 franchise but I fear his homosexuality would have become a too large an issue for too many small minded folks out there that are also needed to buy tickets. Or so I believe Sony & EON would probably discuss the issue.
    I could never imagine as Bond, even not knowing he was gay. On the other side of the spectrum, an actor like Russell Crowe looks far too rough.
    Ludovico wrote:
    I could never imagine as Bond, even not knowing he was gay. On the other side of the spectrum, an actor like Russell Crowe looks far too rough.

I could not picture Craig either before but he did do a decent job, so I guess what most people imagine is moot, the only folks imagination that counts are Wilson & Barbara's.
    Yes obviously, but this is a thread about Rupert Everett, I can only speculate judging on what I saw.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 7,653
    Ludovico wrote:
    Yes obviously, but this is a thread about Rupert Everett, I can only speculate judging on what I saw.

All I am saying is that Bond like, visual appreciation and such have more to do with a persons personal likes as it is applicable towards this franchise. Most of us should have learned this with the election of Craig. That is all I am saying.

I really liked Rupert in the two Trinity movies where he plays ............the female Headmaster. ;)
    And while I was not entirely convinced about DC when he was cast, I thought he looked very Bondian in the promo shot.
    Ludovico wrote:
    And while I was not entirely convinced about DC when he was cast, I thought he looked very Bondian in the promo shot.

For me he convinced once I had seen CR.

SaintMark wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

For me he convinced once I had seen CR.

In think it was the same for most people who saw that film in the cinema including all the naysayers who disparaged the choice of Daniel Craig, though as I give everybody a fair chance I was not in their number. That said, given the undoubted success Craig has been in the role perhaps we will see more and more ambitious choices for the Bond role film actor than we had before the current era.
    Please not too ambitious.
    SaintMark wrote:

Well yes, within reason, otherwise Julian Clary might be cast:

realitytv_cbb_2012_julian_clary_1.jpg
    Dragonpol wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

Well yes, within reason, otherwise Julian Clary might be cast:

realitytv_cbb_2012_julian_clary_1.jpg

does make a nice Q'ute. ;)