Biggest change in opinion regarding anything Bond-y?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2016 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames I was so happy when Dench died in SF, and thought Fiennes' Mallory would be a splendid successor. However, after seeing Fiennes being so angry in SP (you'd expect to see steam coming out of his ears), I now miss Dench.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @bondjames I was so happy when Dench died in SF, and thought Fiennes' Mallory would be a splendid successor. However, after seeing Fiennes being so angry in SP (you'd expect to see steam coming out of his ears), I now miss Dench.
    This is exactly how I felt @DaltonCraig007, and for the same reasons.

I felt that Fiennes was indeed too angry throughout SP, including with weaselly 'C'. He was much better in SF when he had Dench to play off of.

I realize now how effective Dench was in giving the films some gravitas.
    I guess TWINE went down in my rankings as well. Maybe I just got tired of it as I did watch it a lot when it first came out in the cinema and VHS. I'll agree about the cinematography. In fact the blu-ray is brighter and more colorful than it appeared in cinemas. Next time you watch it, reduce the color settings on your TV, lighten the contrast so its a bit washed out, then adjust your tint hues to the greenish side. That's how TWINE looked in the cinema.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I think having Daniel Craig come in and really impress as Bond in every department has lessened my enjoyment of the Brosnan era.

I liked him as Bond but compared with Craig he just seems so lightweight and cheesy now.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I used to hate QOS, but now I love it. :)
    I think having Daniel Craig come in and really impress as Bond in every department has lessened my enjoyment of the Brosnan era.

I liked him as Bond but compared with Craig he just seems so lightweight and cheesy now.

Same with me. Brosnan was my favourite Bond for a long time but Craig's films, though flawed themselves, are largely better in quality.
    I used to hate QOS, but now I love it. :)

It happens a lot! QoS is a must watch twice film!
    I still find Quantum a disappointment but that's more to do with it's erratic story and structure than the performances.
    :)) oh, I watched and re-watched it hundreds of times , listen to the opinions of other fans, but
    I think re-reading the Books really helped. I also agree that the Craig Bonds seem much superior
    To the Brosnan films.
    To be honest QOS isn't a film I rewatch much when I get out my Bond collection.
    I was once an unbeliever too, my friend ;)
    QoS spends more time out of my box than any of the others...!
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 1,469
    QoS spends more time out of my box than any of the others...!
    I've really warmed to QoS over the last year and look forward to seeing again soon. My biggest change of opinion came a week or more ago when I again watched Goldfinger. I've always rated it as one of the top two Bond films, Dr. No being the other. But this time, Goldfinger seemed "dry", a bit stiff and buttoned-down, a bit dated. No denying it's a really well-crafted Bond film (I've thought it was perfect or near perfect) and that Connery was a great actor and a great Bond. But especially compared to the new Craig films, Goldfinger didn't hook me in emotionally or whatever like it had before. (I guess I'm echoing your statement above, LeonardPine, re: Brosnan.) Maybe it was part of the story--too much Kentucky and mint juleps, not enough exotic locales. Maybe I just need to go on vacation somewhere tropical.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Quantum of Solace and SPECTRE have been among my least favourites Bond movies for some time, now they rank #3 and #5.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 50
    The biggest change, for me, is my view of Brosnan. As a child he was my second favourite Bond. Now, at 25, he is my least favourite. I suppose when I was young I enjoyed his boyish mannerisms, his cheeky grins and, well, all the explosions he seemed to be around. As the years have rolled on, all that's changed and he gradually slipped right down to the bottom of the pile.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Congratulations on refining your tastes.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Yes indeed, with age comes refinement and discernment.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    When I was younger, I didn't care for Dalton's performances as Bond then a few years ago I liked them a lot, but now after re watching his films again, Now I just have mixed views on his performances. There is just something off about his performances. Sometimes I think he overacts and tries too hard, but there are moments where he's really great in the role. Humor is not his forte, and neither is his over emotional anger. But his calm and more intense moments work better. His subtleties work wonders but when he tries being emotional or enraged he just comes off as hammy at times. It was probably nerves, but It just didn't come natural for him like it did Sean, Roger, Pierce and Daniel.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I hate to admit it, but you are right.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 11,189
    I think you may have a point @Murdock and its something i've wrestled with for a while.

One thing that I've noticed about Dalton is he often seems to be "doing" something.

Take the M scene in LTK for example: I can't help but think that Connery or Moore would play the same scene in a more understated way. Dalton's a very "dramatic" actor in terms of his expressions and sometimes it seems like he's thinking about his performance as he's doing it, rather than just "being" if that makes sense.

Other times though he's really good (Pushkin's interrogation, outside Felix's house, the scenes with Saunders).
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited July 2016 Posts: 8,081
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    One thing that I've noticed about Dalton is he often seems to be "doing" something.

Take the M scene in LTK for example: I can't help but think that Connery or Moore would play the same scene in a more understated way. Dalton's a very "dramatic" actor in terms of his expressions.

It comes from working on the stage. Stage acting and film acting are two very different beasts. On the stage you generally have to be much more pronounced because there isn't a camera shoved in your face capturing the smallest of details.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 11,189
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Take the M scene in LTK for example: I can't help but think that Connery or Moore would play the same scene in a more understated way. Dalton's a very "dramatic" actor in terms of his expressions.

It comes from working on the stage. Stage acting and film acting are two very different beasts. On the stage you generally have to be much more pronounced because there isn't a camera shoved in your face capturing the smallest of details.

yes I know.

Incidentally, this is a great workshop Michael Caine did where he addressed the differences between film acting and theatre acting. It's quite well known but in case younger people haven't seen it here it is:
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Surprised to see CR hate earlier in this thread.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited July 2016 Posts: 9,020
    DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER

This is the Bond film my perception/opinion of changed the most over time.

There are several reasons. Wint & Kidd are gay, obviously. When I saw DAF the first time at 16 or 17 I didn't understand 70's cinema or the humour of DAF.
    I hated how DAF depicted gays disparagingly and made fun of them. That's the way it seemed to me back then.
    Re-visiting it some years later I thought it was also too cheaply made compared to other Bond movies and I didn't really make an effort to delve into DAF anymore.

Since owning it on Blu-ray, my opinion has changed dramatically to put it mildly.

Wint & Kidd have become two of my most favourite (gay) characters in movies in general.
    Nothing beats that elevator fight, no, not even the train fight in FRWL.
    If I couldn't see it back then I certainly can see (and feel ;) ) it now. Tiffany (Jill St. John) is one of the hottest women in this universe (and that includes Jadzia Dax).

Also I appreciate Connery quite a bit in DAF now. Sure, he did it for the money and sure he is a far cry from being his old self from DN to TB but it is still Connery and that alone is enough really.

The film still looks cheap sure, but it is the greatest Guilty Pleasure of the franchise and one of the easiest to re-watch regularly. Pure, plain fun.
    I think Dalton's performance in TLD was far more nuanced and refined than his rougher more one-note LTK.
    Some of that was the scripts, some of that was he didn't have any help from anyone on LTK
    I was just coming to this thread to post about DAF and to my surprise you posted most of what I was about to say @BondJasonBond006!

The funny thing is, while I like DAF much more nowadays, I wouldn't rank it any higher on my 'Bond ranking'. Weird isn't it-- DAF is just on its own playing field for me.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    It's funny that the 3 most OTT Bond films in the canon - DAF, MR, DAD - all feature extremely charismatic and entertaining performances from their main actor. What would these 3 films be without Connery, Moore and Brosnan visibly having a ton of fun?
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    I think Dalton's performance in TLD was far more nuanced and refined than his rougher more one-note LTK.

Has always been my thoughts exactly @IGUANNA

His performance in LTK you can see the acting. Fatal case of 'trying too hard'

• SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    I agree about DAF. Pretty weak film, but Connery elevates it considerably.