Scariest Childhood Moments?

SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
edited March 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 578
So, I've been watching Jaimetud's videos of the Top 11 scariest moments in childhood and I thoroughly enjoyed them. I just want to know what other people were afraid of. For me, there was...

Courage The Cowardly Dog - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlvBKMbJgHw (starts at 0:27)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFREs4GaJVU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o3DLIYhH50

Willy Wonka's Tunnel Of Hell - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSGmY36PYt4

Everything in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fer635_a0TQ

The Mysterious Stranger segment - The Adventures of Mark Twain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpaRouocBes

Any thoughts on scary moments from childhood?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Jack Palance as Dracula. We had our bathroom in the cellar back then, and after seeing that film I was scared to go down those stairs. By Anu, how I love Palance, greatest Ukrainian actor of all time.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    The trailer looks messed up!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm not sure if it fits into what you all are getting at, but I always thought the 'IT' miniseries looked scary when I was really young, and my Dad said he would watch it with me. Sure enough, we start it and he leaves the room to go grab something, so I had to watch the opening (when Pennywise hides in the sheets and devours the little girl) all by myself. I had nightmares for weeks.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    edited March 2014 Posts: 578
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm not sure if it fits into what you all are getting at, but I always thought the 'IT' miniseries looked scary when I was really young, and my Dad said he would watch it with me. Sure enough, we start it and he leaves the room to go grab something, so I had to watch the opening (when Pennywise hides in the sheets and devours the little girl) all by myself. I had nightmares for weeks.

The main thing I'm getting at is things from movies, TV shows and anything else geared toward kids so no higher than a PG Rating.
    @SuperheroSith, ohh okay, I got it, my apologies, then. Well I would agree, I think 'Courage the Cowardly Dog' was very creepy and scary, considering it was a kid's show. Also, I haven't seen the whole thing (and even what I saw was roughly six months ago), but 'Legend' - the PG-rated Ridley Scott film - is scary as hell! Tim Curry playing a 13-foot giant devil in a fantasy film with such a rating is insane.
    I showed my son Alien when he was 12. Big mistake. On top of that a thunderstorm started the minute the film was finished. Had to sleep next to him that night. :))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The scariest part of childhood is growing up.
  • The scariest thing I ever saw on TV as a kid was an episode of "The Untouchables." Gangsters are threatening a butcher -- in his meat locker, they are pouring acid onto hanging slabs of meat, ruining them for sale. He objects -- and a gangster throws acid directly into his face! He screams in pain, his hands covering his face to make the scene palatable for a mass TV audience -- but not palatable enough for young me! The horror of that scene stays with me to this day...
    Anyone seen Night of the Marionettes(1977), the tv film? That scared me as much as Dracula did.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited March 2014 Posts: 16,328
    My top five childhood scares.

1. Seeing Jeff Fahey's CGI face from the Lawnmower man.
    2. The scorpion battle from Honey I shrunk the kids.
    3. Racing The Wiz-Pig from Diddy Kong racing.
    4. Watching Robocop at a really young age of 7.
    5. Playing the Resident Evil trilogy before the age of 10.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Seeing The Crawling Eye on TV at 9 years old; sneaking in to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre at 14.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Murdock wrote:
    My top five childhood scares.

1. Seeing Jeff Fahey's CGI face from the Lawnmower man.
    2. The scorpion battle from Honey I shrunk the kids.
    3. Racing The Wiz-Pig from Diddy Kong racing.
    4. Watching Robocop at a really young of 7.
    5. Playing the Resident Evil trilogy before the age of 10.

Yes and yes! I watched the second Robocop really young aswell - the bit when he gets dismembered..... yes....

Also the giant giants for the BFG, and the Willy Wonka's Tunnel of Hell used to upset me when I was younger. Damn Roald Dahl!! ;-). From Danny, Champion of the World, when he gets into the car, starts driving to find his dad, really scared me.

• edited March 2014 Posts: 4,813
    When I was really young I saw RoboCop- the part when Murphy gets killed kept me awake for days. I had it on VHS and I would fast forward through that part. ('m a cop now- that's the funny part)

Then of course there's this guy:

Robocop+Melting+Man+Emil+Toxic+Waste+1987.jpg

The ironic part is I saw the R rated version first, then I saw it on TV and they cut the part where he was splattered by the car; that actually made it scarier because my young imagination led me to believe that he was 'still out there', haunting the old steelmill :-SS
  • tame now but this movie gave me sleepless nights for weeks on end plus fractions they upset me as well.

• edited March 2014 Posts: 7,653
    Pennywise from IT worked sleepless nights for me and a healthy dislike for circusses as they employ Clown

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The film The Witches gave me nightmares for weeks as a child. I have no idea how I saw it but must have been about 6 or 7 at the time.
    For me it was 2 things,which you young toerags might laugh about now !!

The 1st was 'The Child Catcher' in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (one of our Mr Fleming's books by coincidence).

The 2nd was 1970's 'Scrooge' ,the musical version,my all time favourite Christmas film,where Scrooge sees the ghost of a horse and carriages float through the room,with the driver saying "Merry Xmas governer,Merry Xmas !".(Scrooge ,again a coincidence was played by our own Kinkade 'Albert Finney') !!
    Darby O'Gill and the Little People

This Disney film scared the hell out of me. I was 5 years old and saw the scenes with the banshee and the carriage driven by a headless driver.
    That Banshee was the most hedious thing I had ever seen. It amazes me how Walt Disney was able to get away with stuff like this. Definitely not intended for children.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Scariest for me: watching Psycho at home on TV, by myself, and I almost threw up during the shower scene; I was shaking.
    The beginning of Ghostbusters :p That's the first one that comes to mind. Also, after It, I saw a really sick nightmare about killer clowns, dark cellar and death of a loved one in that nightmare. It's still fresh in my memory. Thank hebus, I turned out to be sane.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    @SharkBait Funny you should mention Ghostbusters. I remember having to close my eyes during the part where a ghost flies up the exhaust pipe of a taxi, and then a passenger hops in. That face was pure evil :)) I agree though, the 'library ghost' at the start was pretty freaky back in the day.
    I looked around the Internet for some ideas, and there's an episode of 'Rugrats' where Angelica has a nightmare that her parents have another child, and the baby is really, really tall and freaky looking. I remember that scaring me when I was very young.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I looked around the Internet for some ideas, and there's an episode of 'Rugrats' where Angelica has a nightmare that her parents have another child, and the baby is really, really tall and freaky looking. I remember that scaring me when I was very young.

Oh! I remember that too. that was real Effed up.
    Rod Taylor's view of the Morlock's decomposing right before his eyes (and mine) in
    The Time Machine was on the one hand a relief that the heroe would survive and a nightmare I had to witness such a disturbing scene.