The 'Carte Blanche' discussion thread

Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
edited May 2011 in Literary 007 Posts: 13,350
With <i>Carte Blanche</i> going on release in less than a week I thought a dedicated discussion thread would be a good idea.

I look forward to sharing my thoughts.

Comments

• Hi Samuel1001,

Have you pre-ordered your copy?
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 7,653
    My copy from Play.com is currently on it way towards my humble abode. And I have yet to decide to become part of some thrillerclub that offers me another copy that will get signed by mr. Deaver hemself on a special evening he will be attending.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 660
    Not buying the book..holding the book in the library
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    edited May 2011 Posts: 370
    I'm considering ordering it from amazon uk while they have it at more than 50% off. However back in 2008 Waterstones had Devil May Care half price with some exclusive postcards so I'm wondering if Waterstones or WHSmiths might have a similar offer this time.
  • MI6MI6 Administrator
    You can play Carte Blanche blackjack on Jeffery's facebook page and win copies of the book:

http://www.facebook.com/JefferyDeaver?sk=app_190322544333196
    Not buying the book..holding the book in the library
    Cheapskate. ;-) It'll be a serious hardcover collectable in about a hundred years.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I know i've left it late, but i'm calling into Waterstones to pre-order my copy today.
  • Take part in the 007 Carte Blanche competition and you could win a free and signed copy of Carte Blanche! http://www.facebook.com/007CarteBlanche

Deadline is tonight!

Apologies for the shameless plug! :)
    There was an interview with Deaver in yesterday's Sunday Times. Covered similar ground to his WHSmiths booklet.
  • Jeffery Deaver official site has the extrac of chapter 1 and 2.if anyone wants to look ahead...
    Just read the extracts. Love 'em, and really enjoyed Bond conversing with the two local officers.

Can't wait to read this book. :D
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    There was a piece in the Sunday Times this week which states that Deavers Bond 'is addicted to Top Gear on Dave'. Surely this is a wind up by the author, journalist or both?

I suggest you temper your enthusiasm somewhat gents until we've seen the proof of the pudding as we all got excited about Devil May Care and look how that turned out...
    I am looking forward to it, from what I've read in The Times the level of language is a lot better than Devil May Care which felt a bit teenage. I am a little concerned that 007 has left MI6 to join a Division-esq black ops agency.

Ps: 'Division' is a reference to CW's Nikita for those of you who don't watch it.
    There was a piece in the Sunday Times this week which states that Deavers Bond 'is addicted to Top Gear on Dave'. Surely this is a wind up by the author, journalist or both?
    It's long been established that Bond enjoys fast cars, but is not a racer. It goes all the way back to Fleming. You also have to remember that Bond has always been an ordinary man who does extraordinary things, and that his job can be rather grim. So why not TiVo episodes of a light-hearted general entertainment program that relates directly to one of his interests when he's back home? Especially since Jeremy Clarkson is perhaps the most staunchly pro-British figures in modern popular culture. I strongly doubt that we'll see entire scenes where Bond spends his evening eating a parmo in front of Top Gear - but I could see him watching it mindlessly as a form of escapism if and when a job goes badly (like the train derailment in Serbia) through no fault of his own. It could make for a nice scene where Bond tries to soak up as much of a 'normal' lifestyle to take his mind off what happened. Especially if he's on duty and cannot drown his sorrows.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Dont get me wrong I like a bit of Top Gear as much as the next bloke but for Bond to do as you say is out of character on so many levels that I cant even by bothered enter into a discussion about it.

I'll just point out that for a start Fleming stated that Bond did not own a TV set and leave it at that.

But then I'm probably just an old fart who remembers the character Fleming created and not brand spanking new Deaver Bond born in the 80s, who has never heard of the cold war and who probably has his own Twitter account. Jesus Christ.
    Dont get me wrong I like a bit of Top Gear as much as the next bloke but for Bond to do as you say is out of character on so many levels that I cant even by bothered enter into a discussion about it.

I'll just point out that for a start Fleming stated that Bond did not own a TV set and leave it at that.

But then I'm probably just an old fart who remembers the character Fleming created and not brand spanking new Deaver Bond born in the 80s, who has never heard of the cold war and who probably has his own Twitter account. Jesus Christ.
    That said Dr No was written early in the fifties and Fleming never saw FRWL in the cinema before he died. Different times and Fleming was somewhat of a snob but he might have given 007 a tv had he lived a few years longer. That said he gave us readers not that much of an insight of James Bond more about the 007 on the job.
  • it almost time for the launch..I hope someone who has the book could review the book as soon as you get it
    I just read the 2 extracts: it really feels "right" to me. Can't wait to rip into the book!
  • MI6MI6 Administrator
    We spoke to Jeffery Deaver ahead of the Carte Blanche launch event, here's what he had to say:

http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/interview_jeffery_deaver1.php3
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 4,622

That said Dr No was written early in the fifties and Fleming never saw FRWL in the cinema before he died.
    Why would Fleming not have seen FRWL in the cinema? Fleming died in 1964 and FRWL was released in 1963. Fleming visited the set of GF but did not live to see that movie in cinema.

Carte Blanche. £5. Tescos. I kid you not. I just bought a copy a few minutes ago. I assume it's a limited offer price and it will probably go up to around a tenner in a day or two so it might be worth grabbing a copy now.
    Ah nuts, just bought it for a tenner at Waterstones but there's a Tesco just around the corner! Really want to dive
    into the book I'm at work, bah!
  • Ditto!!
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 7,653

That said Dr No was written early in the fifties and Fleming never saw FRWL in the cinema before he died.
    Why would Fleming not have seen FRWL in the cinema? Fleming died in 1964 and FRWL was released in 1963. Fleming visited the set of GF but did not live to see that movie in cinema.
    My apologies for slipping up. But I actually wanted to illustrate that tv's were not that common in those early days of 007, common in the sense that is today, and while the movie series went quite far in its gadgets the books never did in the same excess. Had Fleming lived longer he might have used tv in some sort of way. Alas he didn't have enough time to give us more 007. I was sincerly curious where he would have gone after TMWTGG.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It seems this could be a very good book indeed! :-D

By the way, I love all the Carte Blanche coverage MI6.
    Us yanks have to wait until mid June :-(
    Don`t know if this book will entertain me or annoy me......still can`t make my mind up about Devil May Care.....(I think it was poor....)
    So hungry for new Bond, probably will give it a go.
    I'm 70+ pages in and am enjoying it so far.
  • I'm 70+ pages in and am enjoying it so far.
    lookingforward to your review when you are done