Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    May Day counts? ;-)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    May Day counts? ;-)
    It appears so...though that is a very funny scene. As if Bond is getting in bed with a man.
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 11,189
    I thought the fight scene in the clinic was actually pretty poor aswell. Connery just gets thrown around and neither Bond nor the assassin move particularly quickly. The sword fight in DAD (which also took place inside throughout a variety of rooms) had A LOT more excitement and energy to it IMO.

Bloefeld, to me, seemed completely forgettable. He looked like an old man in a chair stroking a cat, hardly an evil mastermind and nothing compared to the other Bloefeld's (even Charles Gray ;) ) It doesn't help that he's only in the film for 2 scenes either.

Funny you should mention Fatima Blush. It's interesting after watching NSNA (Blush) and GE (Onatopp) so close together. Both women are fairly similar characters (crazy, sexually deviant female killers). However of the two, Xenya was easily the more convincing. She may have been OTT but I genuinely believed she was insane and dangerous. Blush seemed rather "pantomime like" by comparison.

In regard to Largo I thought he was rather forgettable too. He spent too much time being charming (rather like an old friend or work colleague of Bond's). However he does get a few good "villain-ey" scenes.

The film is also cut badly. There's one scene when Connery is climbing through a tube to sneak onto Largo's yaucht. In one shot he has his wet-suit on, in the next he's bear chested. Likewise when the horse falls into the water and Bond's clothes suddenly vanish. Also when Bond finds the girl dead in the flat. The camera just seems to cut suddenly from one shot of him beginning to pull off the blanket to the next (the girl lying dead and Connery looking at her through the water's reflection). Maybe that was to do with the TV cutting something out, if so then I'm wrong.

However Connery certainly rivals AVTAK Moore in terms of bed-hopping ;)
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I watched some of "The World Is Not Enough" on TV last night. The last one I watched from begging to end was either "You Only Live Twice" or "Never Say Never Again".
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Moonraker (1979)

Meh.

Great effects, great score, great locations, great baddie (the best character in the film) and a few good scenes. However the overt-cheesiness does ruin it for me (I found myself cringing despite having watched the film many times before). The plot was a blatant rehash of Spy right down to the "ceast to exist" line. Lois Chiles was ok but a bit wooden, Moore was entertaining if a little too smug.

Jaws and Dolly - urgh!

Spy is still by far the better film despite the absense of Barry.

MR is overrated on here if you ask me.

5/10

Off for a 7-Up and Marlborough now.
    I must say, while I like the film just fine, it was far worse than on previous viewings and therefore has drop a fair number in my rankings, enough to be in my bottom 5 now. I don't know, especially after this viewing, I'm more inclined to side with the majority here - perhaps other than Quantum of Solace, no film in the series displays Bond as a terminator more than they do here and that there's so much action it gets tiring after a while. Speaking of the action, I like action in my films a fair bit, but I also like a little drama here and there.

I'll give it a 7/10. Good, but the action really gets tiresome after a while and you really want Bond to do actual spying, instead of taking on a terminator persona and blowing things up all the time.
    Funny, I just finished watching TND too, what a coincidence!
    While I was surprised at how much of Fleming´s Bond was in there (despite the second half being nothing than action), I right now have the feeling that Brosnan´s Bond is lacking personality somehow. Not that he has none, he has plenty. But he could have been a lot more bad-ass. When I watched the scene with Dr. Kaufmann, I actually thought, ´this would be stuff for Tarantino´, what with the crass contrast of Bond´s mourning and his cold reaction to Dr. Kaufmann.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Octopussy (1983)

Saw some of it on TV the other week but decided to watch it all as part of my Bondathon.

Really enjoyed it and have no idea how some people can hate the film (it seems to be mainly commoners). In fact it's moved up in my list and now even surpasses TLD. The plot comes together more here despite the occasional silliness.

Moore himself was really good and FAR more convincing as a spy than NSNA Sean Connery. He was less smug in OP than in MR and took his work relitively seriously, yet still retained his smooth, charming persona.

Adams, Berkof and Jordoun were great too :) Plus I really like this score:

7/10
    The World is Not Enough (1999)

Still enjoyed it and still believe it gets quite a lot of unnecessary flack. Sure its a bit hammy and Denise Richards is baadd (but gorgeous) however I'd still take it over MR and TMWTGG anyday. No where near as good as GE but better than TND IMO. I like David Arnold's score too.

Number 12 or so in my list.

7/10
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    however I'd still take it over MR and TMWTGG anyday.
    Let me ring doctor Moore for you...

For the first time in my life, I slipped into a Brosnan-denial mode. I took the four DVDs out of the shelf, just to see how it looks, and what can I say? Dalton directly followed by Craig, how much better can it get :-) ?
    If we were talking about OP, FYEO or TSWLM on the other hand... ;)
    boldfinger said:
    For the first time in my life, I slipped into a Brosnan-denial mode. I took the four DVDs out of the shelf, just to see how it looks, and what can I say? Dalton directly followed by Craig, how much better can it get :-) ?

I actually really like the Pierce Brosnan era! He brought the series back after it was in a deep hole in the early '90s, and it worked! While I don't necessarily like TWINE or DAD, his first two were sheer genious, awesome movies that kicked the door down! And even with his last two Bond movies, Brosnan himself still maintained his cool, slick approach as 007. Besides, he helped balance between Dalton and Craig, who both radiate with dark, ominous qualities. I love Dalton and Craig's performances, but we needed Brosnan to fill the gap and give us a little break from the darkness, even though I rather prefer the dark side of Bond.
    To be completely honest i don't think Goldeneye would have been as fun, successful or entertaining had Dalton starred in the role. Plus dalton would have been getting on by 1995.
    @BAIN123: Agreed. I don't understand why people think Brosnan's performance wasn't that great in GoldenEye. He was at his best I really do believe! He fused together all the elements from the previous Bond actors before him and made the performance his own. When you think about it, he was at his darkest in GE, and mirrored that of Dalton's persona, Moore's one-liners and charm, Lazenby's more brutal fighting, and Connery's suave and debonair personality.
    I agree. I thought Brosnan did well in all 4 films however I'd say his best performances were either in TND or DAD. Shame they were his weaker films.

For me he clicked. I believed he was Bond.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 5,767
    boldfinger said:

I actually really like the Pierce Brosnan era! He brought the series back after it was in a deep hole in the early '90s, and it worked! While I don't necessarily like TWINE or DAD, his first two were sheer genious, awesome movies that kicked the door down! And even with his last two Bond movies, Brosnan himself still maintained his cool, slick approach as 007. Besides, he helped balance between Dalton and Craig, who both radiate with dark, ominous qualities. I love Dalton and Craig's performances, but we needed Brosnan to fill the gap and give us a little break from the darkness, even though I rather prefer the dark side of Bond.
    As I said, it´s a first for me. I was for very long a tough supporter of Brosnan. I still don´t think he´s bad in any way. But if I contemplate all the Bond actors so far, he somehow doesn´t fit in. This is after two Craig films, before I couldn´t see it like that. But all Bond actors beside Brosnan were somehow more present in the films. Even Lazenby, who obviously wasn´t that much of an actor in OHMSS, and sometimes looked like he was trying to copy Connery, but he had a certain honesty about him that made him stick out. Brosnan somehow doesn´t have this kind of presence, he doesn´t carry the films as much as the other Bond actors did, because he´s too busy keeping in mind the previous Bonds. He does that well, and that is one big reason the Bond franchise is were it is now. But right now I´m in a phase where I think that the other Bond films age much, much better than Brosnan´s. Sure, Dalton´s radical approach didn´t find that many immediate fans at the time, but he made the role very much his own. Craig completely ignored traditional Bond, yet again his performances are so strong that they carry it, even though QOS is the one film furthest from the traditional Bond film idea. Moore looked many times as if he was taking serious neither himself nor his role, yet he had an immense presence.
    Brosnan boldly went with Bond where no man had gone before, but my personal feeling at the moment is, that in the end it´s much better to have a strong presence than a number of elements trying to remind me of what I am dealing with. Don´t say it, be it.
    And of course it´s not simply Brosnan. It´s the whole production company.

Quantum of Solace (2008)

My view still stands - its one of the weakest Bond films. However there are some good points including a decent score from Arnold and some good individual shots of the MANY locations. Craig himself is a little uneven - very good in some scenes but a bit robotic in others. The sex scene between him and Fields is awful though.

The environment-themed storyline that drives the film is pretty bland and boring aswell. A good effort but it never quite feels engaging enough to carry the film and make us the audience care.

Another issue is the action. There's one scene when Bond and Camile are in the plane and they are talking. Suddenly from out of nowhere the plane is hit by bullets. Thats the problem with the whole film - it's uneven and often interrupts more intimate, interesting moments with fairly mediocre action scenes.

I've gone on about this film several times and rewatched it quite a few aswell but it always leaves me feeling a little disappointed :(

4/10
    @BAIN123: Yeah, QoS leaves me feeling a little disappointed as well. I re-watched it the other day, and I was really let down by the short length. It makes every scene very short and choppy, leaving a lot unfinished. For instance, in one scene, we see Mathis catching up with an old friend, the colonel of Bolivian police. Next, he's laying all beat up in the back of Bond's car, and then gets shot for no apparent reason by two cops. The first time I watched QoS, I was completely thrown off. I had to go to my James Bond Encyclopedia and dig through the character files of Mathis and the colonel of police just to clear things up. 15 extra minutes at minimum were needed, if not more, considering the fact that it followed a very complex Bond movie with a bunch of character work and storyline to follow.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I just finished watching "Thunderball". It was only the third time I watched it and it's starting to grow on me.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I just finished watching "Thunderball". It was only the third time I watched it and it's starting to grow on me.
    Excellent !! I suggest some MR for you as well !! :-bd
    The Living Daylights
    Once again, I was highly pleased with it. Timothy Dalton was fantastic, the action was kicking, and the story was very engaging. However, I still felt that the ending was rushed and didn't provide enough closure for Whitaker and Koskov.
    The World is Not Enough (1999)

Still enjoyed it and still believe it gets quite a lot of unnecessary flack. Sure its a bit hammy and Denise Richards is baadd (but gorgeous) however I'd still take it over MR and TMWTGG anyday. No where near as good as GE but better than TND IMO. I like David Arnold's score too.

Number 12 or so in my list.

7/10
    wait i thought it was really high? well it look i am the only one.

about bolded part:especially when she is goooooood (kind of DAD reference lol)
    yes i agree Denise is gorgeous and i like her but someone else should have been casted for that role
    Watched Dr No last night. The first of a bit of a Bondathon over the coming month.

Highly enjoyable introduction to the great 007, great locations, great Bond girl and one of the great villains. I love how we don't see Dr No until late in the film, makes him all the more menacing.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    If you are watching as part of a Bondathon, then you could take a peek here..

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/851/tell-us-all-about-your-bondathon.-#Item_10
    ;-)
    Thanks NicNac, I'll pop over there now!
    what exactly is definition of bonadthon? watching one bond movie in a day continuosly? like i said in that thread i will do it soon. i am reading my first bond novel currently and it the only one that i could have found i my country.it is DMC :) i dont know why you hate it so much,yes the plot is somehow bad and mission is not important and there are some boring parts.......wait a minute it is bad
    but it is good read afterall ;)
    dragonsky, a 'Bondathon' is to watch all 22 Bond films, in any order. Per example : DN monday, FRWL thursday, GF wednesday, TB tuesday, YOLT friday, OHMSS saturday...
    I've never done a Bondathon yet. I usually wait a few days before I watch another one, but I think I'll have to pretty soon!
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Usually my bondathons take a few months…

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Excellent !! I suggest some MR for you as well !! :-bd
    Those 2 actually make an excellent double feature. Both Bond actors at their best and most comfortable and superconfident in the role. Both have similar final battles(undewater in TB/outer space in MR). Both have carnival/parade scenes. Both feature a 3rd female lead who serves as an agent assistant to Bond(Paula in TB/Manuela in MR). Both feature Bond trapped in a tortuous death trap(the rack in TB, the centrifuge trainer in MR). Both huge megahits.