The MI6 Community Awards Will Return *The Feedback and Updates Thread*

Comments

There seems to be a mistake on your part. I can't see the "Best Willy" nomination. ;-)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    There seems to be a mistake on your part. I can't see the "Best Willy" nomination. ;-)
    That's because there's only one nominee. ;)
    QBranch wrote:
    That's because there's only one nominee. ;)

Ah, but what a nominee it is. :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Well, we discussed having you win every single category from the get-go, but we figured it wouldn't be entertaining for the rest of the members and some of them would catch on that the game may have been rigged. ;-)
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Well, we discussed having you win every single category from the get-go, but we figured it wouldn't be entertaining for the rest of the members and some of them would catch on that the game may have been rigged. ;-)
    Yes, and just thinking about him winning every award gives me the willies galore. :-S
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Creasy will kick of the awards soon, after which I will follow in behind him. Two categories will run at one time, one by him and the other by myself, and each will set aside up to 5 days (or more, if needed) to poll the community for nominees. We will continue this process until all the categories have gotten their nominees, after which point we will move on to the final voting for each where the same amount of days will be set aside to determine the winner of every category. And as Creasy said, the operative word here is "fun." Go out there and enjoy yourself. :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I know the awards have already kicked off, but I had an idea for a new category that I think would work well for this community.

How does Best Bond Memorabilia Collection sound for a category?
    edited June 2014 Posts: 13,900
    Ah yes, I did think of that category, but somehow forgot to mention it. It may be difficult for people to vote for this one, because not everyone posts their whole collection at once, but rather parts at a time, and scattered throughout at least two separate threads:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/227/your-bond-collection/p1
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2061/whats-it-worth-show-and-appraise-your-bond-collection./p1

That also reminds me, I've taken photos of my own collection but haven't uploaded them yet- not that mine could ever compete with some members impressive collections!
    That idea would work for me, I can think of a lot of impressive collections.
    It's been over 4 years since we had the closing ceremonies of the first MI6 Awards, and two years since a second attempt was made at having another MI6 Community Awards season.

During those years it was easy for me to get buried under college study, and so it was hard at times to devote the time the process needed. The future of the awards was brought up in a couple of posts in one of the old awards threads yesterday, and it made me feel like now would be a good time to try the process again (successfully this time) if there was an interest still out there amongst the forum members, who would be called on to be the electorate of this thing.

I think the awards only work when they occur every two and a half to three years, as they can be a hassle to manage and get votes for, and keep alive on the main forum pages for people to see them and vote. It's come up on that three year period, and so, if my fellow forum members are interested in seeing the 2nd Annual MI6 Community Awards resumed (from scratch to finish), I would be happy to start it up again.

In the time since the debut of the first awards season we've had a lot of new members enter the site and more than a few eventful happenings in the Bond world, so now may be the perfect time to get it started and finished.

The idea would be to have the awards lead up to the end of the year from this point now, taking us maybe through November to early December before New Year's hits to close off the awards at a perfect time. I think the awards work best when they take place from October to December as it's the time when humans naturally look back on past happenings to prepare for the new, which is exactly what these awards would be like. We analyze the forums history and the members that have shaped it, giving our judgements accordingly.

So, if there is interest, do let me know, and feel free to give any feedback you desire on how the awards should be run or what categories you think would be good to keep or have dropped entirely. The best categories are the ones that would net the most votes and feel worthy of having their own nominations, while ones that wouldn't be as good are those whose nominations would be low to non-existent.

The full list of categories I have in mind are as follows:

The Greg Ferrell Award for Biggest Connery Bond Fan

Biggest Lazenby Bond Fan

Biggest Moore Bond Fan

Biggest Dalton Bond Fan

Biggest Brosnan Bond Fan

Biggest Craig Bond Fan

Most Off-Topic Thread

Strangest 'Spectre' (Bond 24) Rumor

Best MI6 User-Name

Funniest/Most Entertaining MI6 Member

Longest Running Thread You Thought For Sure Would Be Closed

Best MI6 Artist

Best MI6 User-Made Artwork

Best Music/Video Editor of MI6

Best MI6 User-Made Music/Video

Best Fan Fiction Writer of MI6

Best Fan Fiction of MI6

Best Prop Work of MI6

Best MI6 User-Made Prop

Best Bond Related Announcement

Biggest Fan of the James Bond Video Games

Biggest Bond Music Fan

Biggest Automotive Bond Fan

Biggest Literary Bond Fan (The Fleming Novels and Beyond)

Best BondCapCon Round

Best BlofeldCatCapCon Round

Funnest User-Generated Game of MI6

Best Bond-Related User-Made Review

Best Bond 24 Fan-Made Poster

Best Bond 24 Fan-Made Trailer

Best Bond Memorabilia Collection

Any feedback about what categories work or don't work would be appreciated.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    This sounds like a great idea. I'm in.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You will find out soon enough which categories will garner votes and which won t .
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited October 2016 Posts: 17,787
    Nice to see this revived again. @Thunderfinger's approach sounds a good way of getting the categories whittled down to something manageable.
    Yes, cutting out some of the categories may help; the last time we ran this, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I believe we stopped halfway through and never finished because we weren't getting very many votes for some, like the best music/video editor category.

Hopefully, though, with all the new members and polling we have going on these days, there will be more interest.
    @Creasy47, yes, the lack of votes for some of the categories was one of the issues.

How I think it can be done this time is just by running through all the nomination threads one by one, and then, when final voting starts, cut those that failed to get traction with the members voting on them.

I remember during the first awards there was a category where only one person voted, and that person's win was instant in the category for that reason. Those are the kinds of things we'll cut out this time around.

I'd love your help with a 50/50 split of running the nomination and voting threads, if you are interested.

I figure I'll start it up again tomorrow, and go from there.

These are the categories I've boiled it down to:

The Greg Ferrell Award for Biggest Connery Bond Fan

Biggest Lazenby Bond Fan

Biggest Moore Bond Fan

Biggest Dalton Bond Fan

Biggest Brosnan Bond Fan

Biggest Craig Bond Fan

Most Off-Topic Thread

Strangest 'Spectre' (Bond 24) Rumor

Best MI6 User-Name

Funniest/Most Entertaining MI6 Member

Longest Running Thread You Thought For Sure Would Be Closed

Best MI6 Artist

Best MI6 User-Made Artwork

Best Music/Video Editor of MI6

Best MI6 User-Made Music/Video

Best Bond Related Announcement

Biggest Fan of the James Bond Video Games

Biggest Bond Music Fan

Biggest Literary Bond Fan (The Fleming Novels and Beyond)

Best BondCapCon Round

Best BlofeldCatCapCon Round

Funnest User-Generated Game of MI6

Best Bond-Related User-Made Review

Best 'Spectre' Fan-Made Poster

Best 'Spectre' Fan-Made Trailer

Best Bond Memorabilia Collection

I cut categories where only one person or maybe two fit the bill of a nominee, or those that didn't feel relevant at all. The bolded categories are those that are cemented and will have no problems getting votes, leaving the rest as possibles depending on the votes they get.

A category I think we could put in place of a Fan Fiction category would be 'Best Bond 25 pitch,' where we nominate the plot outline of a member we like the best for the next Bond film. Outside of that, I think the categories left are solid.

We'll have around 26 or 27 categories, with 54 or so total threads (2 for each category for nominations and final voting). So I figure if we do 5 categories a week, either one a day Monday through Friday or 3 at the beginning of the weekday and 2 at the end, we'll be right at the finish in the last week of December just in time for New Year's.

Let me know your thoughts on this.
    I'd be more than happy to help. It might also help if you ran it all in one big thread, opening up three to five voting options at a time or something to that effect. That way, everyone can vote on those for a week or so, before you move on to the next three categories, then the next three, etc. Just a suggestion, may make things more compact and easier for everyone to manage than having numerous threads for each poll.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 28,694
    @Creasy47, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a thread for each set of 5 categories. I'll think about that and find a way to do that in a way that won't be too confusing. I may send you a PM before tomorrow if I think of anything else to add.

If we stick with the 5 a week schedule with one thread for each week's categories, we could switch off week-to-week and do things that way. With that approach, we would have an even split where we'd both have two weeks out of the month free from the running the awards so it doesn't get too time consuming or too much for either of us.
    How about best round of guess the character?
    How about the greatest troll?
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    That was beneath you @Dragonpol
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    That was beneath you @Dragonpol

You think I am better than that then?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I vote for @Dragontroll.
    How about 'the most annoying little shit' ?

I can think of 4 off hand already .
    I vote for @Dragontroll.

Thank you, friend.
    Let's behave ourselves, boys; you're all better than this. This thread is for genuine suggestions.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 17,787
    Sorry for my part in derailing proceeedings.
    Mine WAS a genuine suggestion.... but ok, there have been some legendary rounds of Guess.
    Come on..we need a host for this..its a new year..time for a 2016 award ceremony peeps.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The guy with the best threads....

but then it's obvious who would win that
    Hahaha im flattered :-O