SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

edited August 2016 in SPECTRE Posts: 11,119
According to HitFix 2015 may a very competitive, perhaps the most competitive movie year ever for James Bond: http://www.hitfix.com/news/24-films-that-may-make-2015-the-greatest-movie-year-ever. A list of movies agent 007 needs to compete with that year:

in blue --> The movies that will pass the $1.50 Billion Dollar mark
in green --> The movies that will pass the $1.00 Billion Dollar mark
in purple --> The movies that will pass the $750 Million Dollar mark
in red --> The movies that will pass the $500 Million Dollar mark

The "Big Blockbuster Potentials" of 2015 ("SPECTRE" included):
06.02.2015: "Jupiter Ascending" (sci-fi, adventure) --> with Mila Kunis
27.03.2015: "Cinderella" (fantasy, adventure) --> Maleficent? Alice? It works
01.05.2015: "Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron" (action, sci-fi, adventure) --> Marvel adaptation
15.05.2015: "Mad Max: Fury Road" (sci-fi, action) --> with Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron
22.05.2015: "Tomorrowland" (sci-fi, family) --> Disney, directed by Brad Bird
12.06.2015: "Jurassic World" (sci-fi, horror) --> with Chris Pratt
19.06.2015: "Inside Out" (animation, family) --> first Pixar movie since 2013
01.07.2015: "Terminator 5: Genisys" (sci-fi, action) --> with Arnie Schwarzenegger
10.07.2015: "Minions" (animation, family) --> spin-off to Despicable Me
17.07.2015: "Ant-Man" (action, sci-fi, adventure) --> Marvel adaptation
24.07.2015: "Pan" (fantasy, adventure) -- > with Hugh Jackman & Rooney Mara
07.08.2015: "The Fantastic Four 3" (action, sci-fi, adventure) -- > Marvel adaptation
???.09.2015: "The Hateful Eight" (western, crime) --> directed by Quentin Tarantino
23.09.2015: "Hotel Transylvania 2" (animation, family) --> Sony's own franchise
09.10.2015: "The Jungle Book" (animation, family) --> animation from Disney
16.10.2015: "Crimson Peak" (horror) --> directed by Guillermo del Toro
06.11.2015: "Bond 24: SPECTRE" (espionage, thriller) --> directed by Sam Mendes
06.11.2015: "Peanuts" (animation, family) --> Snoopy returns!
20.11.2015: "The Hunger Games 4: Mockinjay Prt. 2" (sci-fi, romance) --> sci-fi/romance works
24.11.2015: "The Martian" (sci-fi, drama) --> directed by Ridley Scott
25.11.2015: "The Good Dinosaur" (animation, family) --> second Pixar movie since 2013
18.12.2015: "Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens" (sci-fi, adventure) --> need I say more?

The "Spy/Action" movies of 2015 ("SPECTRE" included):
09.01.2015: "Taken 3" (action, thriller) --> with Liam Neeson, already very good reviews
16.01.2015: "Blackhat" (espionage, thriller) --> with Chris Hemsworth
13.02.2015: "Kingsman: The Secret Service" (action, spy spoof) --> director Matthew Vaughn
20.03.2015: "The Gunman" (espionage, thriller) --> with Javier Bardem
03.04.2015: "Furious 7" (action, thriller) --> with the late Paul Walker
22.05.2015: "Spy" (spy spoof) --> with Melissa McCarthy as Susan Cooper
25.12.2015: "Mission: Impossible 5" (espionage, thriller) --> with Tom Cruise
31.07.2015: "Grimsby" (spy spoof) --> with Sacha Baron Cohen, Mark Strong and Penélope Cruz (!)
14.08.2015: "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." (espionage, action) --> directed by Guy Ritchie
28.08.2015: "Hitman 2: Agent 47" (action, thriller) --> with Zachary Quinto
02.10.2015: "London Has Fallen" (action, thriller) --> with Morgan Freeman
16.10.2015: "St. James Place" (espionage, thriller) --> director Steven Spielberg
06.11.2015: "Bond 24: SPECTRE" (espionage, thriller) --> directed by Sam Mendes
12.11.2015: "Survivor" (espionage, thriller) --> with Pierce Brosnan, director James McTeigue

Interesting to know....there's a poll attached to the article from HitFix: "Which five scheduled releases in 2015 are you most looking forward to?"

Current TOP 5 results are:
01) 'Avengers 2: Age of Ultron' (3D, superhero/fantasy)
02) 'Star Wars - Episode 7' (3D, sci-fi)
03) 'James Bond 24' (action/espionage)
04) 'Superman vs. Batman' (3D, superhero/fantasy)
05) 'Avatar 2' (3D, sci-fi)
Followed by: 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2' (sci-fi/fantasy), 'Pixar's Finding Dory' (3D, animation) & 'Ant-Man' (superhero/adventure)

My conclusion thus far: Despite 2015 becoming one of the most competitive movie years ever, I still think the poll news bodes well for James Bond. Yes, agent 007 will get stiff competition. But please take in mind that Sam Mendes is back with his crew. And the big media attention and critical acclaim 'Skyfall' received, will also put 'Bond 24' in the potential 'One Billion Dollar Movie' column. Perhaps the 'One Billion Dollar Film' becomes more frequent, but that's not a negative feature I think. The biggest competitor for 'Bond 24' could be the first cinematic appearance of 'Marvel's Ant-Man'. Luckily the big audiences haven't heard much from Ant-Man before and it's one of the more unknown Marvel characters. Plus....will the audiences in 2015 not be slightly tired of super heroes?

Movie criticist Gregory Ellwood: " 'Skyfall' was arguably the most critically acclaimed Bond film ever. It won the series its first Oscar (and most nominations for one film) and stunned with a massive $1.1 billion. After patiently working with his schedule, Mendes returns, which means the creative expectations for Bond 24 will be high. Plus, who follows Javier Bardem's stunning turn as Bond's adversary this time around?"

To correct Mr. Ellwood.....'Skyfall' earned the Bond series its 3rd and 4th Oscar after the ones won in 1965 and 1966 ;-). But then again, with such a big, old, rock-solid franchise you are allowed to make some tiny mistakes ;-).

Comments

So please post in here :-).
    Perdogg wrote:
    According to HitFix 2015 may a very competitive, perhaps the most competitive movie year ever for James Bond: [url%5

It may competitive money wise but I would not expect much creativity. I guarantee you it is going to be same algorithm driven script business.

Hmmm, not sure about that..... Some of those sequels look rather interesting.
    For 2015, the TOP 7 worldwide box office could look like this:

01) maximum $1,700 Million - 'Marvel's The Avengers 2: Age of Ultron'
    02) maximum $1,400 Million - 'Star Wars: Episode 7'
    03) maximum $1,200 Million - 'James Bond 24'
    03) maximum $1,200 Million - 'DC Comics Superman vs. Batman'
    04) maximum $1,000 Million - 'Avatar 2'
    05) maximum $ 900 Million - 'Pixar's Inside Out'
    06) maximum $ 900 Million - 'Marvel's Ant-Man'
    07) maximum $ 750 Million - 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2'

Just take it with a bigggg grain of salt :-P.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Gustav, four posts in a row. You've been around long enough to use the EDIT function.
    X(
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited August 2013 Posts: 4,416
    Yesterday is confirmd Avatar 2 is 2016 movie.

This wil possible be the Top 7:

01) Independence Day 2
    02) The Avengers 2
    03) POTC 5
    04) Finding Dory
    05) Bond 24
    06) Kung Fu Panda 3
    07) Starwars 7

The Netherlands

Independence Day 2 30 million
    Bond 24. 18-19 million
    POTC 5 9-19 million
    Finding Dory 14-16 million
    Kung Fu Panda 3 8-10 million
    The Avengers 2 8-10 million
    Alvin and the Chipmunks 4. 7-9 million
    Star Wars: Episode VII 6-8 million
    Da Vinci Code ''Inferno'' 5-7 million
    Mission Impossible 5 4-7 million
    Bourne 5 Not more then 3 million

30 million! Independence Day 2 in 3D. Avatar in 3D 27 million Skyfall 25 million

The Avengers did 6,6 million. But BD release not get the bonus disc. Iron Man 3 is acceptable hit with 5,8 million. The Avengers 2 wil score a bit like that mabey in the 9 million era.

Madagascar 3 deliever more then 9 million and end on the 8th place in 2012. Kung Fu Panda 2 in 2011 whas les populair with 5,3 million. But somehere in the 8 million era i wil expect from Kung Fu Panda 3, enough for 5th or 6th place.

Skyfall double the count of views from 1 million views to more then 2 million. The movie delieverd more then 25 million, tickets cost € 11,50 each and that's how know the movie have more then 2 million views. We must keep in mind Adele at a lot of free promotion with her song. Expect a litle bit les lucky, mabey 18-19 million,

POTC 5 wil possible released 1 day earlier then confirmd to get extra day of money, so another Thuesday movie. Number 4 deliever almoost 15 million, this fift one wil deliever kind of same with not more then 19 million and not les the 9 million. It go between them and Finding Dory for the highest place of those 2. I hope on re-release Of POTC 4 as 3 disc Bluray with all footage of the 4 disc (3D disc, 2D, Bonus disc, limited bonus disc.) limited edition of VS.

Mi4 did over 5 million, Mi5 over 6?. But the succes if it is of course because there wait to long with new Bond movie. So mabey les then number 4 in the 3-4 era.

Alvin and the Chipmunks 4. Number 2 and 3 be a big hit with each more then 7 million. Children also need a movie.

Da Vinci Code ''Inferno''. Angels and Damons did more then 7 million. I think it go between this movie and Star Wars: Episode VII.

Bourne 5. We don't know much yet, but i expect something like 1-3 million.

It be confirmd that we get Bond 24, Bourne 5, Mi5 and another Da Vinci Code movie in 2015.

Release date

The Avengers 2: VS/UK 01 May 2015 NL 30 April 2015.
    Pirates of the Caribbean 5: Dutch release be confirmd for Wednesday 08 July 2015. VS/UK 9 July 2015
    Bourne 5: Dutch release i expect in the second or third week of September 2015
    Bond 24: November/December 2015
    Mission Impossible 5: December 2015
    Finding Dory aka Finding Nemo 2: VS 25 November 2015. France release date is on this moment 02 December 2015 and that wil possible also the Dutch release date.
    Alvin and the Chipmunks 4: VS/Uk 11 December 2015
    Da Vinci Code ''Inferno'': VS/UK 18 December 2015 NL: Possible 17 December 2015.
    Kung Fu Panda 3: VS/UK 23 December 2015. The second movie get May and June release date. Mabey in some country's like The Netherlands the movie wil be release in February 2016.

And we have:

Star Wars: Episode VII
    Snow White and the Huntsman 2
    The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2
    Ant-Man
    Hotel Transylvania 2

Trouble Down Under. From the directer of Ice Age. Delayd a lot and on this moment stil set for November 2014 release date, but there isn't much information yet.

Set for 2015 but possible delayd:

Jurassic Park 4
    Terminator 5
    Die Hardest aka Die Hard 6
    The Adventures of Tintin 2: Prisoners of the Sun

More movies with 2015 release year
    http://www.imdb.com/search/title?year=2015,2015&title_type=feature&sort=moviemeter,asc

Facts:

The first Avengers movie whas the biggest hit of 2012 with more then 1,5 billion.
    Bourne whas flop of 2012 and you can say Die Hard 5 wil possible the flop of 2013 if it not going to be Wolverine 2.
    Peter Jackson be confirmd as directer of Tin Tin 2
    It is impossible to forecast what a cinematic year will look like. So many variables that we don't know. The Independence Day franchise will be nearly 20 years old and while the first movie was a success, it did not aged well and audiences have changed since then. And that is just one example. Bond, Star Wars and Avatar should do well, as well as other established franchises, but even this is speculative.
    Let's not forget that there will be few more movies that will probably get many Oscar nominations and are not mentioned in the list.

2015 will be great year.
    It may competitive money wise but I would not expect much creativity. I guarantee you it is going to be same algorithm driven script business.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    It all means more competition for the next Bond film in 2015, though. There is that.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    It all means more competition for the next Bond film in 2015, though. There is that.

In 2002 DAD, which I loathe, did very well with LOTR and Harry Potter being released. I'm not sure competition works the same way as before.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,728
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

In 2002 DAD, which I loathe, did very well with LOTR and Harry Potter being released. I'm not sure competition works the same way as before.

Sorry, how do you mean competition doesn't work in the same way as before? Is this a veiled reference to the poor box office of LTK and the fact that every Bond film since has either been released in the autumn or winter as opposed to the highly competitive summer market? Can you elaborate further what you actually mean by this at all, @Ludovico?
    I mean many big franchises can be successful being released around the same time now, without being much of a nuisance for the others. Not.sure of the causes, maybe the diversification of screens, but there you go.

That said I think ID will be a flop.
    Ludovico wrote:
    I mean many big franchises can be successful being released around the same time now, without being much of a nuisance for the others. Not.sure of the causes, maybe the diversification of screens, but there you go.

That said I think ID will be a flop.

Thank you, @Ludovico - is your username here a reference to Victor Ludorum which Ian Fleming won twice, by the way? I've always wondered!

Yes, perhaps more disposable income than even the yuppies had amongst the audience is the reason for this? Could be...

Is ID Independence Day II, yes?
    Star Wars
    Bond 24
    Mission Impossible 5
    Pirates 5
    Batman Vs Superman
    No my username is a reference to the Ludovico treatment in A Clockwork Orange. And yes ID is Independence Day 2. Which I hope will crash and burn.
    Ludovico wrote:
    No my username is a reference to the Ludovico treatment in A Clockwork Orange. And yes ID is Independence Day 2. Which I hope will crash and burn.

Without Will Smith or the lack of any other "A listers", it may very well crash and burn.

Not only that. The original was a shameless copy of a dozen sci go movies. Now it will go against the original Star Wars for instance. And the UFO craze of the 90s is now long gone.
    Not one to wish life away but? Boy oh boy 2015 is gonna be a belter of a movie year!
    I wish I could share your enthusiasm @RogueAgent but I just see a bunch of sequels, many of them to films that were pretty average at best first time around.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Any chance of amending the title of this thread? I think the word 'greatest' is threatening to sue.

Something along the lines of '2015 may be the greatest year for sequels with a perfunctory script and endless tedious CGI action scenes' might be more apposite.

As a separate debate I wonder what could truly be classed as the greatest year for films?

1994 springs to mind when I saw Leon and Pulp Fiction within a week of each other and a quick google shows Shawshank, Speed and Four Weddings all that year too.

But I'm sure there must have been a better year. Any offers?
    Any chance of amending the title of this thread? I think the word 'greatest' is threatening to sue.

Something along the lines of '2015 may be the greatest year for sequels with a perfunctory script and endless tedious CGI action scenes' might be more apposite.

As a separate debate I wonder what could truly be classed as the greatest year for films?

1994 springs to mind when I saw Leon and Pulp Fiction within a week of each other and a quick google shows Shawshank, Speed and Four Weddings all that year too.

I probably agree with you with 1994. How about best decade? 70's gets my vote all day long.
    Ludovico wrote:

Oh, I'm a big fan of that movie, though I never picked up on that treatment name!

1977?
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 11,119
    Scrap 'Avatar 2' from the list for December 2015. It will come to cinemas December 2016 and will then be followed by two more sequels, one in December 2017 and the 4th and final sequel in December 2018. According to Dutch news website NU.nl (http://www.nu.nl/film/3541005/drie-sequels-avatar-in-maak.html) director, scriptwriter and creator of Avatar, James Cameron, hired screenplay writers Josh Friedman (War of the Worlds), Shane Salerno (Savages) and Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver (Rise of the Planets of the Apes) to finalize the three Avatar-sequels for premiere dates in December 2016, 2017 and 2018.
  • Looking at the list of every movie ever I believe its got better every year since I'm born.

I would need to check the specific dates, but with the many classics that were released in the 70s, The Godfather, the French Connection, etc. I think it might at some point then. That said, we remember the best movies of an time, rarely the worst ones.

I actually put in between brackets, as it is a quote from the website NetFix :-).
    1989 well might be another sure contender, given all of the stiff competition LTK had when it was released in the summer of that year.
  • BigGayIslandBigGayIsland Banned
    edited August 2013 Posts: 56
    Looking at all the new movies I have to see I'd better start saving now!!

Even if I can't save my sanity while watching them all! :))

I guess there's always the possibility that in 2015 I'll be DEAD!! :))
    How about best decade? 70's gets my vote all day long.
    It gets mine all night! Double-team!
    I think the biggest competition for Bond 24 will become Mission Impossible 5.....IF it has a USA premiere of October or December :-). What do you think guys?