Taken (2008 - 2015)

edited September 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 50
Quote:
"Liam Neeson has been all about action films ever since Taken debuted in theaters early last year. It was a sleeper hit, and became somewhat of a cult phenomenon. He followed that performance with Zeus from Clash of the Titans and Hannibal in The A-Team, now he’s returning to his vengeful roots in the sequel Taken 2.

Yes, it is happening.

According to Deadline, Neeson will begin production on Taken 2 this spring. They also revealed that writer Luc Besson and the production company EuropaCorp have plans to bring Taken to the small screen. In terms of the timeline, it would follow the events that occur in the sequel. Does this mean that we can expect week after week of random kidnappings followed by extreme beatings and shoot-outs? "

Will Taken 2 be any good?

It could rock. I can think of ten reasons off hand as to why:

Quote:
"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you".

It's the LOLZ generation's equivalent of the Dirty Harry speech. And it's probably the only thing to come out of that generation which can genuinely pass as bona fide badass. Why? Because it's delivered by....

A bloke who is OLD SCHOOL. A Charlie Bronson for the 21st Century. You mess with his family and grossly mistreat innocent people, this man will find you. And he WILL kill you. Pure old-school no-nonsense badass. You won't find this man tossing about on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/i-am-liam-neeson-i-will-find-you-and-i-will-kill-you/126367884041642

No, actually someone else set that up.

James Bond in QOS wishes he was Bryan Mills from Taken. Correction: Everyone wishes they were Bryan Mills from Taken.

Quote:
"Taken became something of a sleeper hit when it was released in 2008 to little fanfare only to gradually draw in a big cult following"

It's a cult. Cults are cool. People will have forgotten about Blade Runner in five year's time. Taken is the cult film of our age.

NOTHING is more cult than Taken.

Taken was nominated in the MI6 "Greatest Film Of All Time" tournament and received enough nominations to take part. It was unfortunately deemed "too culturally irrelevant" by P.E.N.I.S. to take part. Armond loved it though. That's all you need.

Luc Besson's involvement. He knows this genre. Well, he knows it well enough to say "no" if someone asks "How about Sam Mendes to direct?"

Famke Janssen. She has a believable name in Taken, as well as still being kinda hot.

Quote:
"On its opening day in the United States, Taken grossed $9.4 million, scoring the best opening day ever for Super Bowl weekend".

Even the frickin' Super Bowl couldn't stop this man. The Beatles conquered America. Licence To Kill conquered Ameri- Erm, wait.... Oh well, you get the drift. Simon Cowell conquered America. But Neeson PWN'D America. There's a difference. PWN'D is cooler, or something.

Taken made a Positive Contribution To Society™ in creating more awareness of the suffering many females endure at the hands of the sex slave trade, and the dangers of young girls travelling abroad without parental supervision. Bryan Mills also promotes equality (very efficiently, I might add) by proving that a father denied custody of his daughter can still be a good father who'd walk through fire, take bullets, knives, kill people (and probably sit through a double header of DAD and TWINE) all for his daughter.

Bryan Mills has TIGER BLOOD.

I'm there. BRING IT.

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Liam Neeson can see the future. That is why he asked George Lucas to kill off Qui-Gon Jinn before the next two prequels.
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    Liam Neeson wasn't brought back for TDKR. If he was, the movie would be 30 minutes of him pounding Batman through the pavement with his fists.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Quoting Lazenby.: "I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for
    ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very
    particular set of posts; posts I have acquired over a very long career. Posts
    that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you bring my posts back now,
    that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if
    you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you".

A great quote that sums up many's feelings at the moment I'd say!

In time, I'll add Taken 2 and anything else to a film collection thread but that's quite a way off at the moment.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    and updated Charles Brosnan, I am in!

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    TRAGEDY !! Liam Neeson may not take part in Taken 2 !! The world is ruined :-(

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/UPDATE-Scheduling-Issues-May-Prevent-Liam-Neeson-From-Doing-Taken-2-23699.html
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Thanks Hollywood. You just couldn't let one nice little film sit without a sequel. No of course not...
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    I am sorry, I very much enjoyed Taken but I do not know how a sequel will work in a believable way. I can see Brian Mills in another movie with another mission (like the CIA need his help or something).... but calling it Taken (2) implies that someone else has been taken and involving the character in another mission of that sort is just a really lame idea. Mills has to rescue someone else who has been taken? Again? Really?

And the whole reason Mills' actions were compelling was because his daughter's life was at stake and he was going to extreme measures that stretched moral lines (a-la Jack Carter) - how can you doublicate this? Don't tell me that his daughter got taken again!
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,350
    It was always going to happen and people want it. We have a good chance of topping number one I think.

Good news though @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, there are no plans for a third. No matter how well this one does.

Side note: The first was in Paris, this one is in Istanbul! What a great way to steel Bond's thunder a month before release.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm with @Jazz on this. Taken is one of those special films that just surprises you by how thrilling and brilliant it is. The cold delivery of Neeson added to the intense chase Mills had to enter to save his daughter who meant the world to him. I read a piece of news about it that said he/she saw Taken and one of their thoughts was 'I want to see more of that!'. Well I don't. I love films through and through. I am quite a cinephile and enjoy different genres and classic films and actors. When I see a movie I like, which can be few and far in between considering Hollywood these days, the last thought in my mind is "I want to see more of this!" I feel good movies, especially little gems like Taken that have that special magic should never get a sequel. If the ending is perfect *COUGH* INDIANA JONES 3 *COUGH* and leaves nothing left to concern the characters wellbeing, why continue? Sure, you may be able to do something new, but if you fail, *COUGH* INDY 4 *COUGH* then you disgrace the first beautiful effort and leave us with a chunk of crap as a sequel, and in Taken's case, a film that needs no continuation. Sadly with the title Taken 2 there will be someone else taken. But It had better not be his daughter AGAIN. Use your brains Hollywood. As dumb as Hollywood acts these days I think they are smarter than that. I'd like to see that %@#$%^ wife of his bite it, but since this is a Bond site I won't smash Famke's acting. It wasn't her that annoyed me, but the character of Mrs. Mills that irked me. The way I see it Taken 2 can go down a few roads, all of which have a chance to succeed, but also sink like my beliefs in movies today:

1. Mrs. Mills is "taken" and Brian must go to Istanbul to get her. Maybe she is on site doing some traveling??

2. The singer from Taken is in trouble and Brian goes to help her for all she did for his daughter.

3. The CIA need Brian for a kidnapping/ransom mission. Langley saw his expertise on his solo mission of his own command and think the job is perfect. This set up doesn't make sense to me though. I don't think the CIA wouldn't like one of their operatives tearing up the Paris criminal underground without their knowledge or supervision, especially when Mills received aid from an ex French Intelligence operative. Langley would be furious with Brian.

Anyway, like TDKR, my faith in the project will be a wavering set of china up until I see the films.

No . No No. Not another Sequel. I really loved that movie but to try and do a sequel would be foolish. Remember other sequels that have bombed? The Ring...Final Destination...Halloween....they should just leave well enough alone.
    No . No No. Not another Sequel. I really loved that movie but to try and do a sequel would be foolish. Remember other sequels that have bombed? The Ring...Final Destination...Halloween....they should just leave well enough alone.
    They should, but...IT's HOLLYWOOD. They don't care how many great films are made or how many fans don't want a sequel, they want money and they don't care how much of a bomber the film is, the pompous greedy @#$%^&;*@.

WHEW!

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited October 2011 Posts: 4,399
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

What I don't want to see this turn into is another Death Wish series...

the original Death Wish - a brilliant film, and a career defining performance from Charles Bronson.... but the sequels past that, utter garbage - and can only be enjoyed for cheese factor..

... though I am not so far up my own a** that I despise the thought of any sequel to any film lol.. just as long as it's done with respect, and not just for the sake of cashing in (like 99% of horror sequels).. so I welcome a Taken 2, even though I fear it could possibly head down the Death Wish sequel path... but - we shall see..
    lol when i read the title of this I thought it said

TEKKEN2! :P lol
    edited October 2011 Posts: 28,694
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

What I don't want to see this turn into is another Death Wish series...

the original Death Wish - a brilliant film, and a career defining performance from Charles Bronson.... but the sequels past that, utter garbage - and can only be enjoyed for cheese factor..

... though I am not so far up my own a** that I despise the thought of any sequel to any film lol.. just as long as it's done with respect, and not just for the sake of cashing in (like 99% of horror sequels).. so I welcome a Taken 2, even though I fear it could possibly head down the Death Wish sequel path... but - we shall see..
    Hold on I'm coming out of my a@# for a second. I agree with you 100%. I didn't mean to sound so solidly on my statement that no good films should get sequels. There have been brilliant trilogies/series of films, and that is what I like to see. They are films that are done to advance the characters and the creativity of those involved, of trying fresh things in a brilliant way. And a lot of the time these films are finished with the same people on board for the whole film series, and that is where the success lies. When you have the same people on the films time after time, I believe you have a better chance of getting a great film. Veterans of the series understand the characters and know what to do and not to do. And Spielberg and Lucas never got this memo when they decided to cash in KOTCS. I in no way shape or form believe that film was done to advance Indy as a character. It was done because they were so hard on to do another film they didn't care how the film turned out. And that is why KOTCS never existed as a film. Spielberg and Harrison joke about the films dislike amongst the fans, so I hope if Indy 5 does come, they do it right. Lucas will still weight them done, telling himself he mad film gold, the ponce.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2011 Posts: 15,686
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Taken-2-Plot-Details-Revealed-Rade-Sherbedgia-Playing-Villain-27312.html

Q-q-q-q-q-QUE ??

Neeson hostage ? Maggie Grace doing all the fighting ? This looks awfull. I won't watch a 'Taken 2' where Neeson spends the entire film tied to a chair. The beauty of Taken was Mr. bad-ass going on a rampage for 90 minutes. No way will I watch the horrible and annoying Maggie Grace as the central female fighter character for 2 hours. I want more Neeson bad-assery !
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/taken-2-liam-neeson-248405?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+THRComicCon+(The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Heat+Vision)

Indeed, here's the first to report it.

Sherbedgia will play Murad, the father of a kidnapper slain by Bryan Mills (Neeson) in the first film. Murad is described as a vengeful man who gives orders and doesn't take them. When Murad takes Mills and his wife hostage, their daughter is enlisted to help save them.

What can I say, it's very different and could turn out top notch or one of the worst sequels ever.
    edited October 2011 Posts: 28,694
    The latter @Samuel, the latter. What an idiotic plot. Let's see. Taken was successful for great moments of Liam going crazy in Paris. But for the sequel we'll bring him and his wife back, but Mills will be taken this time. Oh, and his daughter will save them even though she isn't capable worth a @#$% of defending herself. HOW WRETCHEDLY UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!
    Mills' daughter can't even run properly... I can picture her ridiculously campy running in a chase scene. X_X And I very much doubt Maggie Grace can deliver the line 'I will look for you, I will find you, I will kill you' as credibly as Neeson.
    Mills' daughter can't even run properly... I can picture her ridiculously campy running in a chase scene. X_X And I very much doubt Maggie Grace can deliver the line 'I will look for you, I will find you, I will kill you' as credibly as Neeson.
    I swear to Bond @DC007, if Taken 2 sees Mill's daughter with the sudden unlearned ability to naturally fight/shoot guns I will walk out of the theatre raging if I even get a ticket to go.
    Maybe she spent the four years in between films learning to fight?

Whatever the reason and plot of the film, I remain hopeful and won't pass judgement until I see it. I'm greatly looking forward to it.

Do we have any idea who the Dad's son that was killed in the first one was? As you might expect everyone that got offed turned into one big blur.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Maybe it was the main Marco from Tropoje that Mills was after. I, too, won't pass judgment until I see it, but how hard would it have been for Lennie and his daughter to get kidnapped in Istanbul, with the attacker who wants revenge knowing that Mills would come after them, giving him a shot at revenge for killing his son? His daughter was already goofy enough in the first, running around everywhere. I pray she has no knowledge of fighting in this one.
    Maybe it was the main Marco from Tropoje that Mills was after. I, too, won't pass judgment until I see it, but how hard would it have been for Lennie and his daughter to get kidnapped in Istanbul, with the attacker who wants revenge knowing that Mills would come after them, giving him a shot at revenge for killing his son? His daughter was already goofy enough in the first, running around everywhere. I pray she has no knowledge of fighting in this one.
    Hopefully there will be MAJOR and NUMEROUS script rewrites between now and the film's release. Fingers crossed! [-O<
    Neeson hostage ? Maggie Grace doing all the fighting ? This looks awfull. I won't watch a 'Taken 2' where Neeson spends the entire film tied to a chair.
    Do you honestly think that's going to happen?
    Neeson hostage ? Maggie Grace doing all the fighting ? This looks awfull. I won't watch a 'Taken 2' where Neeson spends the entire film tied to a chair.
    Do you honestly think that's going to happen?
    So Neeson is taken hostage but the villain let's him kill all his henchmen and wreck havoc around him ? And he still needs his daughter to save him and his wife ? Most ridiculous plot I've ever heard. The article says Neeson's daughter will save him... why bother if he's going to do everything by himself ? Why even take him hostage if you're going to let him exterminate all the villain's henchmen ?
    If Liam Nesson was taken hostage, I don't think he'd be sitting around doing nothing. He might not be able to physically escape, but there is nothing stoping him from doing damage - he could turn the guards on one another, interrogate them without appearing to and passing the information on to his daughter (particularly if he and his ex-wife were taken hostage and kept in separate places, so he sent information on her location to Maggie Grace) and so on.
    So basicly the film is a cliché of a Bond film ? The villain takes him hostage but doesn't take the time to verify that he won't be doing any damage or he doesn't kill Neeson instantly ? Sorry but the possible plots sound horribly stupid.
    What would you prefer then? Liam Nesson's estranged daughter getting herself kidnapped, promting him to go after the people responsible?
    I would prefer anything than the convulated mess the article indicates the film is going toward.