Why are the Bond filmmakers so reluctant to let us see outtakes and deleted scenes?

edited March 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 53
Why are the makers of the Bond films so reluctant to let us see deleted scenes and outtakes from Skyfall and earlier films in the series? Are we really to believe the actors are so word- and action-perfect throughout the Bond series that they've never fluffed their lines ... or stirred a martini instead of shaking it? In popular TV shows such as It'll Be Alright On The Night, outtakes from the Bond films are glaringly noticeable for their absence. Surely the owners of the Bond franchise don't imagine the actors themselves, or the series, will be demeaned by fluffs and cock-ups being revealed to the great unwashed public? And outtakes would be a marvellous bonus on any DVD or Blu-Ray issue. As for deleted scenes failing to make it on to DVD or Blu-Ray releases of the films - why are the filmmakers so utterly stingy in what they are prepared to let us see? A mere handful of deleted scenes have been included on commercial releases, and yet we know from producers' and actors' comments that time constraints quite often determine the cutting of one or more scenes from the final cut. So come on EON and the filmmakers - quit hogging these unintentional Bond bloopers and deleted scenes for yourselves and let the fans enjoy them too!
Am I alone in my views?

Comments

I enjoy a good outtake from a comedy, when you get an indication that everyone was having a good laugh making it. If it's a good end product, those outtakes can reinforce the fact and add to the favourable impression.

But in a drama or action movie, I find outtakes generally less amusing and often smack of self-indulgence. I'm not surprised Bond outtakes aren't part of the marketing; they wouldn't help to build the brand. So yes, the producers probably feel outtakes would demean the franchise.

Deleted scenes are a different matter though. You only need to have the bare minimum of extras for a first release - holding back material for a second wave down the line. Even then there needs to something substantial enough to qualify as a DVD extra. Not sure I'd be interested on seeing endless clips of ungraded, unedited and undubbed footage.

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    My favourite extras are deleted scenes. And we all know there were several in Skyfall, so where are they? The ones from CR on the deluxe edition are excellent, so I also say 'come on EON lets have more!'
  • Well said everyone agree bloopers or outtakes don't really sit right in the Bond image and don't think they have a part in the collection.
    However deleted scenes should definitely be their and are definitely my favourite extra on a DVD or blu ray. It's already been noted many times their were a lot of scenes which didn't make its way onto Skyfall final cut so where are they unfortunately the lack of extras blatantly points to a second release somewhere down the line.
    Deleted scenes on the earlier ones though would be awesome however am led to believe these arnt very common place back then.