Skyfail? SPOILERS

edited November 2012 in Skyfall Posts: 11,425
Just back from seeing the big SF for the first time and was majorly disappointed. It confirmed all my worst fears. What do I know about fear, you may ask? And the answer is, of course, everything.

Don't have much to say right now, except that the best scene was the final one with M's old office restored at last. At least they got that right. I quite liked Fiennes as well. That bodes well for the future I suppose. But DC, man you are really not growing in my appreciation. Stop running like a Terminator and get yourself a proper Savile Row tailor. Dear oh dear oh dear...

And Severine... what is she even in it for...? so wierd from start to finish.

Comments

• Getafix wrote:
    Just back from seeing the big SF for the first time and was majorly disappointed. It confirmed all my worst fears. What do I know about fear, you may ask? And the answer is, of course, everything.

Don't have much to say right now, except that the best scene was the final one with M's old office restored at last. At least they got that right. I quite liked Fiennes as well. That bodes well for the future I suppose. But DC, man you are really not growing in my appreciation. Stop running like a Terminator and get yourself a proper Savile Row tailor. Dear oh dear oh dear...

And Severine... what is she even in it for...? so wierd from start to finish.

Buddy see it sober next time :)
    Given the hype I was expecting a lot more. Have to say I think this is a much less coherent film than either CR or the underappreciated QoS. What on earth is it about? I honestly, sincerely feel that Forster did a far superior job to Mendes. SF is a garbled, flacid train wreck. I was bored stiff. The score is seriously underpowered. I don't know what kind of film Newman thought he was working on but it was obviously not a Bond film. The trailers had already raised concerns for me as they felt strangely muted - what I hadn't expected was that this would be the over riding feeling of the entire film.

May be the problem was to do with drink - I obviously hadn't had enough. Will go and see it plastered and see if it gets any better.
  • Getafix wrote:
    Given the hype I was expecting a lot more. Have to say I think this is a much less coherent film than either CR or the underappreciated QoS. What on earth is it about? I honestly, sincerely feel that Forster did a far superior job to Mendes. SF is a garbled, flacid train wreck. I was bored stiff. The score is seriously underpowered. I don't know what kind of film Newman thought he was working on but it was obviously not a Bond film. The trailers had already raised concerns for me as they felt strangely muted - what I hadn't expected was that this would be the over riding feeling of the entire film.

May be the problem was to do with drink - I obviously hadn't had enough. Will go and see it plastered and see if it gets any better.
    What is it about? It's about a disturbed figure from M's past (who happens to be a distorted funhouse mirror image of Bond) turning Bond, M, and MI6's worlds upside down leaving them vulnerable and exposed. It's about Bond and M fighting their way back up, proving their worth in a world that they seemingly have no place in anymore.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I agree with you on Severine, really underused. Apart from that, I disagree. It's in my top 5.

@Getafix People are always on your back about being negative anyway, and now you don't like SF...

Good luck to you is all I can say. There's gonna be a huge sh*t storm coming your way from the positive only crowd.
  • Getafix wrote:
    What on earth is it about? I honestly, sincerely feel that Forster did a far superior job to Mendes. SF is a garbled, flacid train wreck.

I was going to give your opinion a chance, but you blew it here. SF a garbled train wreck? If you can make any sense of QoS's tangled, hurried mess of a plot which was squeezed in between one too many action scenes you're a better man than me. SF was perhaps a more complex Bond film than you're used to, but it was always pretty clear what was happening and why. I'll admit Bond lost his sense of logic when he decided to face Silva's forces with just a 77-year-old lady and a 76-year-old groundsman for backup, but everything else was well written and considerably better presented than QoS.

As for Newman's score, I quite liked it for a first-timer considering previous single-film composers (Eric serra, anyone?). He didn't overuse the JB Theme, putting it in all the right places, IMO. Especially when the DB5 goes boom and Bond's like "Eff you, that was my car!", Christ that was good.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 6,601
    ...just to give it major exposure, he opened an own thread for it. For this alone...as if YOU don't know, there already is one. Yup, you blow it.

..and this is NOT because he is - as was to be expected - negative, Royale. This is about openeing a thread for it. Like - what's good enough for everybody else. is not for you. Oops!

I suggest to close this.
    Are you sure you saw the same movie as the rest of us Getafix?
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited November 2012 Posts: 3,497
    Someone needs to order his contributions. ;)

And no, TheLivingRoyale, I'm not a member of the "positive only crowd".
  • JamesCraig wrote:
    And no, TheLivingRoyale, I'm not a member of the "positive only crowd".

Never said you were mate :P

@Germanlady good point. But to be fair he has carried on in the review thread now.
    [quote="thelivingroyale"

@Germanlady good point. But to be fair he has carried on in the review thread now.[/quote]

AFTER being asked to. He WANTED to make sure, nobody misses his REVIEW and this just shows, who he is and what he wants. Someone like Gustav Graves writes a review in the proper thread and gets no feedback. Someone like getafic writes a REVIEW in a new thread and gets tons unfortunately. He knows, how to play it and THAT in itsself is the annoying thing. And yes, I contributed as much to his success as the others. :(
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    The negative reviews will get more attention with SF because they stand out (since the reviews are mostly positive) and get people all pissed off.
    When done in such a childish way, they will piss me off.

A bit.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    @getafix, here is the perfect forum to rant on against SF: almost all of the readers of The Guardian seem to share your opinion about how bad SF was.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/oct/28/skyfall-james-bond-review

It really is a hilarious read, comparing Craig to a middle-aged Bourne, saying that SF is worse than NSNA, cheesy on-liners, DC doesn't look the part, the bulldozer represents a company that supports human rights abuse, boring patriotism, mediocre ending, and so on. I think getafix might find many friends over there.

On the other hand, and this is worth a thought, could it be that we fans are so blinded by now (stellar cast, 50th anniversary etc.) that we do not really see the faults that others are clearly aware of? Or are Guardian commenters simply negative towards films that glorify the secret service, Britain and the Queen?
    There are faults, as is the case with any film.

But please, do not compare us to The Guardian readers. I beg you. :((
    If we are being blind, what about all the others, who obviously love it? Are they all blinded Bonds fans? I don't think so.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    zebrafish wrote:
    @getafix, here is the perfect forum to rant on against SF: almost all of the readers of The Guardian seem to share your opinion about how bad SF was.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/oct/28/skyfall-james-bond-review

It really is a hilarious read, comparing Craig to a middle-aged Bourne, saying that SF is worse than NSNA, cheesy on-liners, DC doesn't look the part, the bulldozer represents a company that supports human rights abuse, boring patriotism, mediocre ending, and so on. I think getafix might find many friends over there.

On the other hand, and this is worth a thought, could it be that we fans are so blinded by now (stellar cast, 50th anniversary etc.) that we do not really see the faults that others are clearly aware of? Or are Guardian commenters simply negative towards films that glorify the secret service, Britain and the Queen?

Great question @zebrafish but I will as another. Could it be that such a heterogeneous group of people from different countries, religions, believes, social-economic backgrounds, political opinions, sexes, etc have all been blinded together? L-)
  • People bitch about Bond just because they can. These Guardian readers are probably eternally dissappointed with everything in life including their own children!
    My opinion is, that you can pick everything apart and will find things, you don't like or that are just not good. That's the case with everything - but for a film IMO its the impact it does give you on your first showing. If it manages to draw you in in a good way, that's what a film is supposed to do. So for me its either I like a film on first sight or not. No earth shattering change of mind will happen.
  • Germanlady wrote:
    My opinion is, that you can pick everything apart and will find things, you don't like or that are just not good. That's the case with everything - but for a film IMO its the impact it does give you on your first showing. If it manages to draw you in in a good way, that's what a film is supposed to do. So for me its either I like a film on first sight or not. No earth shattering change of mind will happen.

Agreed and my opinion after watching Skyfall was that it was great and it drew me in rather than sitting there looking for reasons not to. I think the positive opinions will drown out those who oppose. Long live Skyfall!
    edited November 2012 Posts: 3,497
    You see, my favorite movie of all times is Heat.

I'm still disappointed that we don't see more of Pacino & De Niro "together", especially during the legendary restaurant conversation. But the acting, music & cinematography are just too good.

Btw, isn't there a "top 10 movie thread" somewhere here? I've been searching for it...
    Well, I am a Guardian reader, so I guess it makes sense. Will have to check out that site and see what they're all saying over the Grauniad.

Germanlady wrote:

Amazingly, I agree with you.

Any way I thought you disapproved of this thread?

Close it down someone, quick!
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Come on.. We don't have to start new topics for every member who's seen the film.

<b>Closed</b>
This discussion has been closed.