Is Benedict Cumberbatch being considered to play Blofeld ?

SAMSAM
edited October 2012 in Actors Posts: 107
I have a theory. This is following 3 seperate reports :

Apparently, the James Bond producers are lining up Mr Cumberbatch to become the next Bond Villain because they believe he is ideal

In an interview, Daniel Craig said it would be great if Blofeld did return to franchise some time in future

Reports have indicated that John Logan is writing a two part storyline ( Bond 24 and 25 ) ; hence a significant story or chapter in James Bond's ( Daniel Craig's ) Journey

Is now the best time to introduce Bond's greatest nemesis ?

Thoughts ?

Comments

• O6GO6G
    Bit of a stretch maybe? But it would be awesome!
  • I think its a perfect time to reintroduce him. I'm not sure if Benedict is the man for me to play him but over two films he could easily be Quantum's number 2 and have Blofeld as it's number one.

That's if they stick with quatum and don't just disregard it.

Thanks to Austin Powers, he's never going to have a cat and be bald ever again.
    So maybe they will go with someone like Benedict.

A two film arc would really make him a threat as well.
  • O6GO6G
    Agreed! Make Quantum the new spectre, and finish it in the next two movies. I'd be happy!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Cumberbatch is already the Necromancer and Smaug. I think this is like when Fiennes was first cast, some people were betting we was Blofeld too. I said no when it came to Fiennes, I say no now for Cumberbatch.
  • Cumberbatch is too young and not evil enough. He also doesn't resemble Flemming's Blofeld at all. I think that, while he's not the most superb actor, that someone like Danny Huston would be a better mach to play Blofeld because he resembles the Blofeld of the books, and I think it would be interesting if the new Blofeld was American. This is only a though though...
  • Have you ever seen the actor that they first cast as Blofeld before they replaced him. Santa springs to mind.
    But he suited the look of fleming's blofeld.
    I wouldnt mind Michael Shannon but seeing as he's General Zod in the new superman this probably won't happen.
    An american would be interesting.
    I think finish off Quatum with Craig's films though.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 669
    Cumberbatch does have a very unique and, when the occasion suits him, menacing face. I think he’d be a wonderful villain. Perhaps not Blofeld, but he could certainly be a heavy.

And I bet that John Logan’s idea for a two-film story arc involves Quantum and Bond ultimately taking it down.

• And I bet that John Logan’s idea for a two-film story arc involves Quantum and Bond ultimately taking it down.

That would be ideal for me. Craig's last two and leaves everything open for whoever it is next.

Would like the return of a good henchman as well.
    none in CR, we have the laughable elvis in QOS and none in SF
    Nothing like Jaws or anything that laughable.
    Just someone who is a match for Bond who fights him more than once in the films
    I too would love to see the return of ESB but not sure if BC is the right man to play him, as fantastic an actor as he is.
    I wouldn't mind him playing a villian but blofield seriously How many films do you guys want him to be in

From Russia With Love, Thunderball, You Only Live twice, On Her majesties Secret Service, Diamonds are forever, For Your eyes Only and Never say never again.

7 Films How many times does he need to come back people seriously that is more then Dalton Brosnan and Lazenby's tenures Heck that is the same amount of films Moore and Connery (including never say never again) did in their tenures

Just throw out a number how many more films does he need to be in Do I hear 1
    Cumberbatch could be the head of Quantum! And his name could be Risico! :-bd
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 3,333
    Blofeld wasn't in For Your eyes Only, @Risico007. If you're referring to that bald guy in a wheelchair in the PTS that doesn't count as that was just Cubby mocking Kevin McClory over his lawsuit about the Blofeld rights and was simply a petty 2-fingered salute. Also, the character was barely used in FRWL and TB and only made a late entrance in YOLT. You make it sound like these films were entirely pivotal on this one character when they were not. Also, Never Say Never was a remake of TB so it stands to reason that Blofeld along with Domino, Largo and Felix Leiter would make a return.
  • And never say never again shouldnt even be mentioned on here. tut tut!
    I agree, @Whatwouldrogerdo, especially when it's implied that it's a completely new story and part of the canon.
  • @bondsum
    Blofeld needs to be done properly and accuratly.
    Banish all memories of that ridiculous appearance in DAF
    I want a bloke who looks and acts like he runs a world wide terrorist organisation
    not a drag queen
    Agreed. Which is exactly what we'd get if Blofeld was to be part of the reboot, @Whatwouldrogerdo. If they can give Bond a major overhaul and return him to his roots and dispense with the silly stuff then they can do it with the franchises best villain.
  • @bondsum
    Agree.
    What I would have loved to have seen at the end of SF is something like this, when the
    new M handed Bond the top secret folder,
    he opened it up to reveal a dossier of Blofeld.
    Kind of like the end of Batman Begins with the joker card.
    OH MY GOD YES

Sorry, forgive my schoolgirl-ish excitement but I believe that's a role Benedict Cumberbatch was born for. Then again, I have a pretty big mancrush on him which may prevent any rational thought on this particular matter.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 546
    I like the idea of Benedict Cumberbatch as Blofeld in a future Bond film. It would be a great way to revive the Blofeld character again. Plus, he is a great actor!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Cumberbatch is too young and not evil enough. He also doesn't resemble Flemming's Blofeld at all. I think that, while he's not the most superb actor, that someone like Danny Huston would be a better mach to play Blofeld because he resembles the Blofeld of the books, and I think it would be interesting if the new Blofeld was American. This is only a though though...

Have you seen any of his work? The man is brilliant!
  • Hi,
    this is my first post and, to be honest, I think Benedict Cumberbatch is the perfect man to play Blofeld because he's a brilliant actor and could probably give a consistent level of performance to any character he plays
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 1,492
    SAM wrote:
    Apparently, the James Bond producers are lining up Mr Cumberbatch to become the next Bond Villain because they believe he is ideal

Evidence? Where did the producers say this? Please provide a solid link.
    SAM wrote:
    In an interview, Daniel Craig said it would be great if Blofeld did return to franchise some time in future

Which interview? Can I have a link? Please provide evidence.
    SAM wrote:
    Reports have indicated that John Logan is writing a two part storyline ( Bond 24 and 25 ) ; hence a significant story or chapter in James Bond's ( Daniel Craig's ) Journey

Thoughts ?[/quote]

Once again? Evidence please? A link?

Otherwise this is heresay. Worst of all it is projection. Until the producers actually issue a statement then we can treat this with a pinch of salt.

The only fact in your statement is John Logan.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I just hope Quantum isn't discarded. If Dan only does 2 more films ( :(( ) I hope they reintroduce Quantum with a bang and spend two films with Bond dismantling it. I will be a little sad though, considering Dan only got 1 film (Skyfall) where he got a completely new one off adventure/mission with no connection to Quantum.
    Well, so did Sean Connery with SPECTRE. Goldfinger was the only non SPECTRE-affiliated villain he ever fought.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2012 Posts: 12,459
    I like Cumberbatch a lot; unsure about him as Blofeld, though. He could be a good villain, I think. Maybe head of Quantum. And they could put in somehow Quantum being a newly re-visioned Spectre. Hmm. maybe.
    edited December 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Gerard wrote:
    Well, so did Sean Connery with SPECTRE. Goldfinger was the only non SPECTRE-affiliated villain he ever fought.

Yeah, but the later films are one off adventures, and Craig's era is reverting more back to the old ways. Not a bad thing really, I just wish that he got more missions unconnected to Quantum, because he is great in them. Of course, it is Dan, so he would be good in anything thrown his way by EON.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 5,767
    No more Blofeld, please. We´ve had that, let´s move on. Similar characters and organizations similar to SPECTRE have many times been there, so there´s no need for recycling of names. Quatum is basically SPECTRE.

I don´t know how much he will be recognisable as Smaug, but Cumberbatch is the main villain in next spring´s Star Trek into Darkness, so he definitely won´t be the villain in the next Bond film. Apart from that, he´s one of the greatest young talents at the moment and should star in about every film ;-).
    I just hope Quantum isn't discarded. If Dan only does 2 more films ( :(( ) I hope they reintroduce Quantum with a bang and spend two films with Bond dismantling it. I will be a little sad though, considering Dan only got 1 film (Skyfall) where he got a completely new one off adventure/mission with no connection to Quantum.

Completely agree with all of the above! :-bd