Does Blofeld's presence in "007 Legends" mean EON owns his rights?

edited October 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 624
I am confused. Is the ownership of Blofeld separated from the ownership of SPECTRE?

Blofeld appears in the video game 007 Legends. Does that mean Babs and Mickey can use Blofeld in the films?

Note: PLEASE do not turn this into a "Will and should Blofeld return?" thread.

Comments

• edited October 2012 Posts: 5,745
    In a word: yes.

In more words: it was publicly released that they gained the rights, but had decided to 'wait' on entertaining the thought of bringing Blofeld back.
  • Was there a press release of any sorts? I do not remember this.
    I've been looking for 40 mintues now..

I think it was in a magazine interview, and to correct myself: they only hinted that they may have obtained the rights. It's likely they did with McClory's death. I'll keep an eye out for physical proof.
    Look, these are the questions a good journalist should ask Michael and Babs. Don't you think?
  • I never thought about this. I guess they've retained ownership of the character and Spectre. Which is where they both belong. The McClory debacle was pretty stupid.
    Maybe back in '99 when the Warhead 2000 case went ahead.
  • oo7oo7
    edited October 2012 Posts: 1,068
    I would go as far as to say they do not. But since Kevins dead now they will keep pushing after him and upping the steaks in how they use him in an attempt to see if there is any history of legal action taken and if not they will eventually end up fully using him and not giving mcclory any credit.
    I am not aware of what family mcclory has to fight this action or if indeed money has passed to them after his death.
    If anyone is following the superman trial you will know how devious these strong holds over material can be.
    64.jpg
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I've been looking for 40 mintues now..

I think it was in a magazine interview, and to correct myself: they only hinted that they may have obtained the rights. It's likely they did with McClory's death. I'll keep an eye out for physical proof.

to the best of my knowledge, and doing quick searches on the matter - the only thing I could find was a Bond forum where someone mentioned that in an article, MGW hinted at the possiblity of EON gaining the rights back to the character Blofeld and SPECTRE..... BUT - no one has produced a link to said article...

so, while this does intruige me, i still gotta stand by what i've always said - if they got the rights, it would be news that MI6, and others websites like it would eat up... once EON got the rights to CR after years and years of trying, the news was all over the place - i would figure something similar would be the case if EON were to obtain the rights to Blofeld...

but we'll see - maybe they did, because he's been in the past 2 games - but they are also games based on existing EON property - it would be no different than reissuing the DVDs of Bond movies with Blofeld in them (im sure McClory got a check for all of those)... maybe they only obtained the rights to use the character in certain ways - but
    in no new intellectual properties?... it's anyone's guess..
    If they have got them back? And if they do bring him back in movie form? They should wait until after Dan's tenure comes to an end.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 4,619
    Bond 24 & Bond 25: two more excellent movies with Craig.
    Bond 26 & 27 & 28: Blofeld Trilogy wih new actor as Bond directed by Christopher Nolan! :)
    I wonder if McClory's rights only extended to film rights - when he was involved with Fleming and EON in late 50s and 60s I guess no one was thinking about computer games!!
  • HASEROT wrote:
    but we'll see - maybe they did, because he's been in the past 2 games - but they are also games based on existing EON property - it would be no different than reissuing the DVDs of Bond movies with Blofeld in them (im sure McClory got a check for all of those)... maybe they only obtained the rights to use the character in certain ways - but
    in no new intellectual properties?... it's anyone's guess..

However, when they made FRWL into a game, Blofeld and SPECTRE did not appear (they where replaced by Octopus.) and in GE:RA, the character of Blofeld was called 'No.1'
    So I would say that they have the rights back, because why not call him 'Blofeld' in the past, but do it now?

db5007 wrote:
    I wonder if McClory's rights only extended to film rights - when he was involved with Fleming and EON in late 50s and 60s I guess no one was thinking about computer games!!

Very good point? But is it not copyright in terms of the charactor though?
    the real question is do they have the rights to use Blofield's cat ;)
  • RC7RC7
    EON own the rights to Blofeld. Just to clear up the discussion.
  • Bond 26 & 27 & 28: Blofeld Trilogy wih new actor as Bond directed by Christopher Nolan! :)

When you say trilogy, do you mean they're all linked together? I'd be really happy with 3 Nolan Bond films but I don't want anymore direct sequels. And the actor should stay on for more than 3 if he can.

I would like to see Blofeld back too.
    Bond 26 & 27 & 28: Blofeld Trilogy wih new actor as Bond directed by Christopher Nolan! :)

When you say trilogy, do you mean they're all linked together? I'd be really happy with 3 Nolan Bond films but I don't want anymore direct sequels. And the actor should stay on for more than 3 if he can.

I would like to see Blofeld back too.

batman/bond sounds like...lol
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Risico007 wrote:
    the real question is do they have the rights to use Blofield's cat ;)

Somehow, I doubt it.
    They used the wrong Blofeld. Savalas was much better.
    Blofeld coming back would be a dream scenario of mine. Anthony Hopkins would have been ideal back in the day but probably wouldn't do it now.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Alan Rickman would make a perfect Blofeld in this day and age. with the Donald Pleasence scar.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 624
    @Murdock
    He's even got the evil laugh at the end!
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    If this is true, we can bring SPECTRE back in future Bond films in the Daniel Craig's continuity. The good way to re-introduce SPECTRE is to make a film adaptation of Gardner's For Special Service (If EON can get movie right for Gardner and Benson Bond books). Should we have SPECTRE and Quantum teaming up together, they can use the Nobody Lives for Ever plot for that (again EON needs to get the right to make that into a movie).
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    RC7 wrote:
    EON own the rights to Blofeld. Just to clear up the discussion.

Link?
    Just for you @echo...

Interestingly, Wilson and Broccoli told SFX that they have not abandoned the Quantum organisation, but also confirmed that it is not used in ‘Skyfall’. Wilson also revealed that they have the rights to bring back Blofeld and SPECTRE. ‘We believe we can use them. They’re a little dated at the moment. We went for the Quantum organisation, which was more business oriented, trying to corner the market on scarce resources, rather than a criminal organisation that did blackmail and bank robberies…’.

http://www.007.info/broccoli-and-wilson-speak-to-sfx/
  • bondsum wrote:
    Just for you @echo...

Interestingly, Wilson and Broccoli told SFX that they have not abandoned the Quantum organisation, but also confirmed that it is not used in ‘Skyfall’. Wilson also revealed that they have the rights to bring back Blofeld and SPECTRE. ‘We believe we can use them. They’re a little dated at the moment. We went for the Quantum organisation, which was more business oriented, trying to corner the market on scarce resources, rather than a criminal organisation that did blackmail and bank robberies…’.

Good news :-). I think I have said this too on the MI6 forums before. Blofeld and SPECTRE are indeed a little bit dated at the moment. So they will be upgraded for Bond 24...I am sure ;-).
    bondsum wrote:
    Just for you @echo...

Well there you have it then! They have NOT abandoned Quantum which is good news! And they DO also have the option to bring back Blofeld and Spectre. If they do update them i think it will not be until after Daniel Craig walks away from the role?
    I agree, @RogueAgent. It makes more sense for EON to continue with the Quantum organisation - even though it's a stupid name which was meant to be about Bond looking for his quantum of solace - and hold off Blofeld and Spectre for Craig's replacement.
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    edited December 2012 Posts: 259
    bondsum wrote:
    I agree, @RogueAgent. It makes more sense for EON to continue with the Quantum organisation - even though it's a stupid name which was meant to be about Bond looking for his quantum of solace - and hold off Blofeld and Spectre for Craig's replacement.

That's why I want Quantum and SPECTRE teaming up to kill Bond, If they can do the movie version of Gardner's Nobody Lives for ever, and add the plot of Quantum and SPECTRE teaming up to kill Bond, I think it'll be mind blowing to me. The ending will have Bond and his allies destroying SPECTRE and Quantum once and for all.

Good news :-). I think I have said this too on the MI6 forums before. Blofeld and SPECTRE are indeed a little bit dated at the moment. So they will be upgraded for Bond 24...I am sure ;-).
    Yes, I recall it also, @Gustav. But we were shouted down by those telling us it wasn't true and that we were mistaken that EON now hold the rights.

That's not a bad idea, @mdo007, and I'm sure it could be made to work. However, I think the introduction of Blofeld might serve a new Bond better and give him the necessary added clout of having a worthy adversary to draw upon. I suppose it all depends on what antagonists John Logan has lined up for us in the next two installments?