Nudity in The Living Daylights

edited October 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 232
I saw The Living Daylights in the theater, on the day of the U.S. debut back in 1987. One thing that struck me was that it was the first Bond film that I had seen which featured nudity. When Bond goes to assassinate General Pushkin (at his mistress' hotel room), Pushkin signals his bodyguard with his watch. Bond rips off the clothes of his mistress, as a distraction to Pushkin's bodyguard. When I first saw this part in the theater, I surprised to see a a full on shot of the mistresses' bare breasts, but when the film came out on VHS, the scene was cut. When I got the film on laserdisc, it was edited similarly. On the DVD the scene is intact, but edited that you only see the face of the mistress, rather than the full shot. You do see a side shot of the bare breasted mistress, but it's obscured compared to the original way that I saw the film. I just recently watched The Living Daylights at MOMA, and was hoping to have my memory confirmed by their original 1987 print of the film, but I noticed that their copy was edited as well. The difference is, is that there was no reaction shot from the mistress, just the reaction shot from the bodyguard. The edit looked completely clumsy compared to the rest of the film. Does anyone know the scene that I'm referring to? And does anyone else remember the scene from the original premiere? I completely understand why the producers would edit the scene out, because it really doesn't fit in with the PG world of a Bond film, and maybe test screen audiences objected. I myself was shocked as a 15 year old, but nevertheless, I know for a fact I saw the scene in the film.

Comments

• imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Really? I gotta check that scene out... Its been so long since I last saw The Living Daylights..
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 501
    Well I believe that we can see XXX in TSWLM naked when she's having a shower in the submarine. One of the crew gets this 'OMG I haven't seen a naked woman live in months' face. So it wasn't the first nudity scene in Bond.

I'm too young, I'm turning 19 this december, for having seen this movie in the cinema so I've only watched the edited version of it. I can't help you with this one.
    XXX in the shower is not clearly visible IIRC, only blurred through the fogged glas or curtain. The bartender´s bottom in the Bottom´s Up Club in TMWTGG sticks to my memory much more intensely.

On my LTD dvd there is no frontal breast shot, but neither does it look clumsy, in fact I always liked the way it is handled.
    I saw the film in theatres, but I cannot remember any details of that particular scene.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I *think* it was so new to us to see actual nudity at all back then that we just *thought* we saw more than we did. The DVD seems to be the full version as far as I can tell, no frontal nude shot was ever really in the film IMO.
    I'm only going from visual memory here, but in that scene,the reaction shot of the KBM bodyguard who Bond knocks out seems to freeze-frame for a moment; suggesting to me the editor had to extend the shot a beat longer - possibly to compensate for cutting a boob-shot? That's always been my assumption anyway.
    Risico wrote:
    I'm only going from visual memory here, but in that scene,the reaction shot of the KBM bodyguard who Bond knocks out... quote]

KGM? I meant KGB!
  • The full frontal shot is a myth. This came up in an article years ago.

• Just checked the workprint of the film...it is a myth. There is no full frontal
  • There is a side shot of Pushkin's girlfriend in the interrogation scene where you can see her breasts. This is on the UDVD but may not be on other versions, like the 36 seconds of censored LTK footage added to the UDVD.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I don't know about TLD, but for Spy you can freeze-frame the shot of Anya in the shower and it is clearer than just blurred, yes.
  • Just checked the workprint of the film...it is a myth. There is no full frontal

You have a workprint of TLD? Awesome!

• edited October 2012 Posts: 5,806
    Not a myth. Although you're right, it's not full frontal, but sideways, but we can see a nipple there. I also noticed that scene. But for some market and for some TV stations, that scene was cut. Which explains why some of us saw it, and others didn't.

You can find the clip here:

Mod: Link removed as website contains adult content. Please think before including such links in future, thanks

You have a workprint of TLD? Awesome!

Got it last year by accident...finally. I thought the existence of that gem was a myth too :D I´ll upload it as part of my Jubilee project in the next few weeks
    It's not a myth, I know I saw this on the original screening. MOMA's print was given to them, in 1987 and it is quite visibly cut. Maybe your work print is cut too, I don't know. I never read about this scene anywhere, so there was no myth about it for me. There was specifically a full frontal (not the side) shot of the actresses' breasts. I remember my mouthed dropped open when I saw it, and was shocked that it was cut out on the VHS.
    Also, I know other Bond films have had some blurred nude moments in the films, but this was a blatant shot, which is why I think it was cut out. Like I said, the DVD just altered the shot to just show her face, but I swear the original was a fuller shot.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 4,813
    I love that scene- on the one hand it could be viewed as a cheap attempt to show nudity, but I personally love how it shows Bond use the most effective way to distract a bad guy: boobs!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I saw TLD at the cinema and I don't remember them actually showing her boobs. I was only 4 or 5 but I'm sure I'd remember that, and it was a PG, not sure if it'd be allowed.

But I'm in the UK, maybe they showed a different version over there in America?
    I love that scene- on the one hand it could be viewed as a cheap attempt to show nudity, but I personally love how it shows Bond use the most effective way to distract a bad guy: boobs!

=))
  • Jarrod wrote:
    It's not a myth, I know I saw this on the original screening. MOMA's print was given to them, in 1987 and it is quite visibly cut. Maybe your work print is cut too, I don't know. I never read about this scene anywhere, so there was no myth about it for me. There was specifically a full frontal (not the side) shot of the actresses' breasts. I remember my mouthed dropped open when I saw it, and was shocked that it was cut out on the VHS.

I'm not doubting you as I didn't see the film in cinemas, but why would there be a full frontal?
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 3,333
    I saw TLD three times in the cinema on release and I can assure you there was no full frontal flash of boobs in the UK release. The side view, yes... full frontal... no. Also, wouldn't the MPAA have demanded that the movie be an R cert or something higher than the PG it received in the States if there were boobs on display in such a scene? Was this common in PG movies in 1987 for America, I'm not so sure? Maybe your memory is playing tricks with you, @Jarrod?
    edited October 2012 Posts: 17,690
    Full frontal boob shots could get a PG in the USA in the seventies (check Logan's Run for example), but in the eighties not so much (that became automatic R)- violence was the in thing for that era.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    A little titillation, nothing obscene or distracting. Just a healthy dose of female beauty without any exploitative intentions. Even as a boy I was more invested in what was going on with Bond than in the side boob. :)
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Yes I agree with @DarthDimi, even when seeing this scene for the first time in the cinema as a 13 year old I was much more interested in the size of Tim's ...(ahem) silencer!
  • Is this another urban legend, like those who swore Timothy Dalton cameo'd in Never Say Never Again?
  • Funnily enough, I watched From Russia with Love with my son at the weekend just because it happened to be on 007HD on Sky, you get a much clearer view of a nude Tatiana through the pink curtains as she sneaks into Bonds bed than I remember, peachy butt cheeks on full view.
    My son was aghast!
    I know that my memory is good on this. I was 15, and as a 15 year old boy, I'm gonna take notice of a wide shot of boobs. Believe me on this. At the time I was very excited for The Living Daylights and the change of actors playing Bond was a pretty interesting time. At the time I collected a lot of stuff on the film, tons of newspaper clippings, the issue of Playboy and GQ, etc. So in my defense, I can prove that I saw one of the earliest showings of the film. It debuted in Sacramento, California on July 31, 1987.

Scan_3.jpg

I still have the ticket stub from 2:25 pm showing on Friday, July 31st.

Scan.jpg

I also found this early clipping of a tiny review on The living Daylights that even says that film contains brief nudity.

Scan_4.jpg

Some other clippings...

Scan_6.jpg

Scan_1.jpg

Scan_5.jpg

• Jarrod wrote:
    Scan_5.jpg

What the hell is that '?' doing there.... it should say ''A BETTER BOND!!!!!!!!"
    Jarrod wrote:
    I know that my memory is good on this. I was 15, and as a 15 year old boy, I'm gonna take notice of a wide shot of boobs.
    Dude, I was 27 then, and all I can think is that a simple 'side boob' shot magnified onto a 50 foot screen is enough to plant into your memory that you saw a lot more boob than you (or I) actually did!
    Also, in 1987 'brief nudity' meant butt shots... they let the 'side boob' thing slide. A frontal shot would have demanded an R! [-X
  • Jarrod wrote:
    I know that my memory is good on this. I was 15, and as a 15 year old boy, I'm gonna take notice of a wide shot of boobs. Believe me on this.

I saw TLD twice in the theatres in Canada and I can assure you that there was no front shot of the actress where you saw her breasts. However, I don't doubt that you believe that you saw one.

There was a great research study done many years back on the fallibility of memory. The reason that I recall it so well (yes, I understand the irony) is that I read it less than two weeks after having a conversation with a writer friend of mine about how many people mis-remember plot points or scenes in films - very frustrating for him because, as a screenwriter, he labours over getting the most minute deatails of a scene perfect. We were talking about this because my roommate insisted that a very popular film ended with the main character committing suicide by jumping off of a building in the end, when in fact the final shot is just him standing there looking down and distraught. Despite it being a very famous film he wouldn't believe the several people who told him how it really ended, including a film critic! We eventually rented the movie so he could see for himself and he was shocked that he remembered so clearly something that never happened.

So the study had hundreds of university students watch a film and then they had to answer questions about it afterwards. One of the questions referenced a scene that wasn't in the film, such as "When the main character shot the guard...". Even on the first go-round about 15% of people said they remembered him doing that, but not the details. A week later they asked similar questions but now about half of the people "remembered" the scene, and after a third round of questioning another week later around 85% of the people "remembered" the scene. So the idea is that when a false memory is suggested, given time to germinate, and then reinforced it's indistinguishable for most people from a real memory. Friends of mine who are lawyers and police officers have also commented on this phenomenon.

Now with films, I've seen people misremember many things and I've done it myself. The most common things? Anything sensationalistic because we build up the shock factor in our minds. So anything with brutal violence or surprising sexuality gets exaggerated in our own minds over time. I hope this isn't disappointing but it's a much more reasonable (and expected) explanation than you getting to see some rogue print of the film that no one else ever saw...

^^^THIS! =D>
    Dude, I know what I saw. But if you choose not to believe me, I could care less. And I have seen plenty of films that were PG and had nudity in them. The side shot of the actresses' breasts wouldn't qualify as brief nudity in a description. I do think they had an issue with this one, because it was removed immediately. And I wasn't some over imaginative child who's blown a memory out of proportion. But, whatever, believe what you want.

@MasterDahark

Feelings towards Timothy Dalton was pretty mixed I've got some more interesting clipping if you're interested.

Scan_8.jpg

Scan_7.jpg

Scan_5.jpg

Scan_6.jpg

Scan_9.jpg

Scan_10.jpg

Scan_12.jpg

Scan_16.jpg

Scan_19.jpg

Scan_20.jpg
This discussion has been closed.