The Bourne Legacy's impact on Skyfall

Comments

@thelordflasheart
    Well, I take everyone's ideas away from them. Like it was said, then. "Everyone on his/her own". Am I right?

Has anyone also seen my "Bourne Legacy" poster?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Bourne will be in the film. Not physically, but his past actions will cause challenges in the film. At least that's what I figure.
    Well, I heard Matt Damon is denying that Bourne wouldn't be in there. He will personally star in the film and Jeremy Renner will co-star with him according to Damon.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Well, I heard Matt Damon is denying that Bourne wouldn't be in there. He will personally star in the film and Jeremy Renner will co-star with him according to Damon.
    That's interesting. :) Do you have an article or something to back this up?
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,425
    I think SF has moved away from the Bourne influences to a large extent. Certainly they are not as obvious as they were in QoS. However, I think the desire to have a background story and narrative arc about where Bond comes from and how he becomes who he is can be seen as partly due to the influence of Bourne, but also the Nolan Batman trilogy.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Just because a Bond film explores his backstory doesn't mean it is a straight rip off from Batman or Bourne. I have seriously heard the pathetic argument that Bond is copying Bourne because the Craig films have some of the same locations, which isn't that true at all even. Utter madness.
  • Oddly enough while I felt that QoS borrowed way too much from the look and editing of the Bourne films, I felt that Skyfall rather resembled a what a very good 24 movie would look like. With Q taking the role of Chloe to some extent.
  • I'm always a little annoyed when these sorts of comparisons forward the notion the Bond movies/franchise take something from the newer entries, not that the newer entries borrowed elements from the Bond franchise and just modernized them a bit.
    Bourne legacy is a box office flop everywhere, Skyfall is a success. That should answer the title of the thread.
    Now Bourne will be a Bond copier. First lesson: DON'T DO A FILM WHERE THE EPONYMOUS CHARACTER IS ABSENT!
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    maxcraig wrote:
    Bourne legacy is a box office flop everywhere, Skyfall is a success. That should answer the title of the thread.

Sure, it didn't make enough money as expected, but it made $275m, enough to cover its production budget.

Doesn't help that TBL was an overwhelmingly dissappointing experience.
    Mallory wrote:
    maxcraig wrote:

Sure, it didn't make enough money as expected, but it made $275m, enough to cover its production budget.

It's still called a flop.
    Mallory wrote:
    maxcraig wrote:

It's almost as if something was missing...

Bourne+Collage.jpg?version=1
    thebourneultimatum.jpg
    matt-damon-in-the-bourne-identity_article.jpg?1345724100
    bourne_18.jpg

I can't quite put my finger on it...
  • LOL! Well played, clerk. :D
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

Not that, necessarily. The script, from what I've read, basically was:

Jeremy Renner: "Oh No, I've run out of drugs!"

Rachael Weisz: "They make them in (insert Asian country here)"

Jeremy Renner: "Away we go, then!"

*cue bike chase and Moby song*

:-?
  • They should've just recast Bourne.

And no, I don't buy the argument that only Damon could play him.
    They should've just recast Bourne.

You would if you could see the train wreck that would cause. If Cross's side story flopped, how bad do you think recasting Bourne would have been. Yikes.
  • They should've just recast Bourne.

You would if you could see the train wreck that would cause. If Cross's side story flopped, how bad do you think recasting Bourne would have been. Yikes.

No where near as bad. If we'd gotten Bourne we might have gotten an entirely different story, maybe something closer to the book, y'know, an actual sequel. I think they were limited with what they could do with this new character.

Damon did well but he didn't exactly set the bar to the extreme did he? He's a good actor but to play Bourne you don't really need to give an Oscar worthy performance.
    Arfter listening to Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass slag off when Bond they released their Bourne entry and try to pick a fight with Eon.

Ir gives me great pleasure to see Bourne get creamed and Bond breaking all records.

I bet somewhere Barbara Broccoli is smiling as well.
    I saw Paul Greengrass at the premier of Skyfall. He can't hate Bond all that much.
  • I think all Greengrass said was that he thought Bourne was more relateable, hardly slagging Bond off.

Damon slagged Bond off but it doesn't stop me enjoying the Bourne films.
    I hate to say this on here, but the Damon Bourne trilogy wipes the floor with anything EON has done since 1989. Taken together, they are an almost unbeatable series of character-driven, well-scripted and beautifully directed action-espionage-thrillers.
    I think all Greengrass said was that he thought Bourne was more relateable, hardly slagging Bond off.

Him. Damon and the girl for one film managed to make digs about Bond in all their interviews for the film. Including Damon saying he was an "imperialist". Its seemed to be PR policy for that film to provoke Eon. More controversy means more publicity means more attendance.

Eon, sensibly didn't bite.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,425
    So Bond's not an imperialist? Interesting. Wonder what the great sage Fleming would have thought of that.

Come on AS. You're a Guardian reader and think Bond isn't an imperialist!

You're having a laugh.

We know he's an imperialist. We know he stands for stuff we shouldn't approve of. But we love him despite all that.

Getafix wrote:
    So Bond's not an imperialist? Interesting. Wonder what the great sage Fleming would have thought of that.

Come on AS. You're a Guardian reader and think Bond isn't an imperialist!

You're having a laugh.

Not my point. It was obvious that from the interviews they were trying to provoke Eon. The press and the studios wanted a Bond versus Bourne fight. Also since when is it cricket to slag off another franchise?

Damon, oversize preppy that he is genuinely doesn't like it. But then admitted the only Bond he has seen is an eighties Roger Moore one. So hardly an expert.

• edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    actonsteve wrote:
    I think all Greengrass said was that he thought Bourne was more relateable, hardly slagging Bond off.

Him. Damon and the girl for one film managed to make digs about Bond in all their interviews for the film. Including Damon saying he was an "imperialist". Its seemed to be PR policy for that film to provoke Eon. More controversy means more publicity means more attendance.

Eon, sensibly didn't bite.

I know Damon said stuff.

Just googled it, Greengrass said he thought people identified more with Bourne than Bond. It's hardly a dig is it? And I doubt he hates Bond because look what else popped up on google.

If he did persuade Mendes to do it seems like he helped Bond more than anything else.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 803
    Jason Bourne is sort of the anti-James Bond in that Bourne's antagonist is his government. Bond "never left", whereas that's all Jason Bourne really wants to do.

Jason Bourne would never have an exchange like this:

Silva: Look at you. Barely held together by your pills, your drink...
    James Bond: And don't forget my pathetic love of country.
  • Jason Bourne is sort of the anti-James Bond in that Bourne's antagonist is his government. Bond "never left", whereas that's all Jason Bourne really wants to do.

That sums it up nicely.
    Jason Bourne is sort of the anti-James Bond in that Bourne's antagonist is his government. Bond "never left", whereas that's all Jason Bourne really wants to do.

Exactly! Bond is closer to the Jack Ryan series but no one complains about the new Ryan film coming out next year.

• edited November 2012 Posts: 32
    marymoss wrote:

Exactly! Bond is closer to the Jack Ryan series but no one complains about the new Ryan film coming out next year.
    Smartly they have Kenneth Branagh directing the Jack Ryan reboot and second unit director is Vic Armstrong.