Silva's introduction

edited August 2012 in Skyfall Posts: 4,400
Every great villain needs a great intro.
With Chris Nolan raising the bar with villian intros with both The Joker and Bane, Im really introguied to see what Mendes has up his sleeve with Silva.

Comments

If the trailer is any indication, it looks like a pretty good one. We hear his voice before we see him, slowly get a better and better look at him as he walks down a long room, before he's right in Bond's face. Classic.
    I'd like something like Bill Shatner in The Wrath Of Khan, it was one of the first things I thought of. Smoky, bright lights, outline in door, as he comes into focus as the training exercise comes to a close. Or even Donald Pleasance in You Only Live Twice, reveals himself with a slow swing of a chair etc, something like that would be ideal
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Obviously this isn't news.

Moved.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The Joker's entrance in The Dark Knight was simply brilliant. I hope we have something along those lines for Silva, possibly during the London sequences.
    I like that long walk Silva takes. It's certainly builds an atmosphere. Certainly is upping the anti!
    I really liked the introduction of Silva in the trailer. It was slow and menacing. So far during the Craig era, I think we have been having a massive improvement in terms of villains. One thing that had been lacking though is a physically imposing villain, somebody who could be a physical threat to Bond (okay, Obano was, but he was relatively minor). Silva is a lot like some classical Fleming's villains, such as Scaramanga or Largo: physically imposing, ruthless and looking somewhat repulsive.
    Does anyone know?
    I remember reading somewhere that Silva sees M in a Government building when she first meets Mallory early in the movie and just walks past her. Is this his entrance then we see later it was him along when he confronts Bond?
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 5,634
    Silva/Bardem has to be an improvement on the last two range of adversaries Craig has had to face, most of the names, especially LeChiffre and Greene, as head villains, wouldn't menace a ten year old. You mentioned Steven Obanno, and I agree was a genuine threat and menacing. Actual decent villains for the Craig tenure have been in very short supply, but we must remember, hitherto only the two releases. Obviously don't fully know what to expect from the Bardem character this year, but quietly confident it should be quite a watch. It has to be an improvement on recent years, I feel they owe us something back
    Silva/Bardem has to be an improvement on the last two range of adversaries Craig has had to face, most of the names, especially LeChiffre and Greene, as head villains, wouldn't menace a ten year old. You mentioned Steven Obanno, and I agree was a genuine threat and menacing. Actual decent villains for the Craig tenure have been in very short supply, but we must remember, hitherto only the two releases. Obviously don't fully know what to expect from the Bardem character this year, but quietly confident it should be quite a watch. It has to be an improvement on recent years, I feel they owe us something back

Well, Le Chiffre was menacing enough, but not in a physical way. He was a schemer. So was Greene, who I think was a Kronsteen kind of villain: a slimy plotter. And White I think was chilling, even prisoner. But we now have someone who seems to be brains and brawn.

• Grinderman wrote:
    If the trailer is any indication, it looks like a pretty good one. We hear his voice before we see him, slowly get a better and better look at him as he walks down a long room, before he's right in Bond's face. Classic.

It looks like a good scene, and would make a great intro for him but we don't know if that's his intro, he could've popped up before then. It might just be the first time him and Bond meet or something.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Does anyone know?
    I remember reading somewhere that Silva sees M in a Government building when she first meets Mallory early in the movie and just walks past her. Is this his entrance then we see later it was him along when he confronts Bond?

That was a scene taken out of context. At the time it was believed to be scene 26 when in fact it was scene 126. Silva does wall down a hallway but at a very different point in the story.

His entrance into the film is what's shown in the trailer.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I think Silva's entrance is the same as a boxer or wrestler with the song "Momma Said Knock You Out" playing in the background.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Does anyone know?

That was a scene taken out of context. At the time it was believed to be scene 26 when in fact it was scene 126. Silva does wall down a hallway but at a very different point in the story.

His entrance into the film is what's shown in the trailer.

Are we certain about that?

Didn't Ola Rapace say he’s in a scene with Bardem? But…
    Patrice is dead by the island sequence.
    I think he will be one of the best villains.
    A villain with a plan.Villain one step before MI6. A villain that knows every secret of MI6.Someone unstoppable.
  • One thing to keep in mind is the idiosyncracies of specific filmmakers with how they handle the characters.

Example: the Coen Brothers introduce their villains as early as possible. Buscemi and Stormare are in plain sight in "Fargo"'s first dialogue scene, and Buscemi is in fact the one tasked with summarizing the entire plot. Less than 5 minutes go by in "No Country for Old Men" before Bardem is seen sitting calmly in handcuffs, waiting like a jaguar to pounce down on the unsuspecting cop.
    (Exceptions are possible: in "True Grit", the Coens deliberately saved Josh Brolin's first appearance for well into the second half.)

I have not seen "American Beauty" and it's been a long time since I've seen "Road to Perdition", so I'm not familiar with Sam Mendes's approach to the introduction of his antagonists.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 14,834
    In both American Beauty and Road to Perdition the villains are introduced early on. In Fleming it goes from very early to fairly late in the story. So I guess we might have a glimpse of Silva before his big intro, a bit like Dr No.

Hello, Mcfly? You don't think the bollocks-bashing scene in CR by my namesake was menacing? In each of the 6 screenings I attended there was an audible wincing sound from every bloke in the audience at that scene.

I enjoyed LeChiffre in CR but actually felt sorry for him - his character was stuck between a rock and a hard place and never seemed to stand a chance. I thought the casting for Dom Greene was good but they didn't make him mad or evil enough - he was too understated.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Yeah, Craigs villians so far haven't overall felt that menacing to me.

Le Chiffre was memorable and a good villian but I never thought he was threatening, I actually felt really bad for the bloke. Obanno was menacing, but not that memorable and he wasn't really the main villian.

Mr White is ok. You do kind of think he's evil and mad, but again, not that menacing. Greene didn't feel evil, mad, or anything really.

Greene was a bit like Graves, just really slimy and smug, not threatening, memorable or menacing. I didn't think "I wouldn't want to be on his badside", I thought "I want to punch him, I can't wait for Bond to beat him up at the end" And QOS was fairly short so I got my wish pretty quickly, but I'll be fair, he did suprise me at the end when he went mental with the axe.

I'm looking forward to Silva. Bardem is a great actor and I reckon even if I don't enjoy SF overall, he'll be one of the highlights of the film for me. So far he seems memorable, evil (even with his new hair), and a proper threat to Bond.
    I think pretty much all of the villains during the Craig era so far have been menacing. Some more than others obviously, but it was in general a massive improvement over the Brosnan era. What has been lacking though is a villain representing genuine physical threat. Sure, Mollaka, Obanno and some others were good fighters, but they were minor characters. I think Silva will be more akin to Scaramanga or Largo, both cunning and physically threatening.