GOLDFINGER

edited March 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 4
Is 'GOLDFINGER' still the best Bond film to date ?

Comments

es008 wrote:

No, not by a long shot! I'd say it's still one of the worst Bond movies to date!
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 154
    no. I like the movie a lot. its great and it started a whole new type of Bond films. But I still think that by the second part the movie it got a little slow. It had really good action sequences and great dialogue scenes. but it was missing something. I tought i is the best Connery Bond along side From Russia with love. But I dont think it was the best.maybe 3rd best or 2nd
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Great for classic appeal and trend setting, but not the best of the pack, or even the Connery era. That title goes to FRWL.
    es008 wrote:

It was important for the Bond series, but IMO there are many movies with similar style that are superior.

It seems fashionable to bash this one at the moment.

Still a classic. Top five after nearly fifty years I would say.
    I gotta give some credit, because of the AMDB5, Oddjob and the GF-concept.

Indeed, if the Asston Martin DB5 and Oddjob weren't in Goldfinger, a lot of the movie's classic qualities and watch-ability would be severely affected.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 154
    00Beast wrote:

Indeed, if the Asston Martin DB5 and Oddjob weren't in Goldfinger, a lot of the movie's classic qualities and watch-ability would be severely affected.
    Probably

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Not at all. GF might have iconic images that defined the series: the Aston, the title-song+title-sequence combo, the song itself, the gold theme... But aside that, as a whole, I find it rather uninteresting.
  • 00Beast wrote:
    es008 wrote:

No, not by a long shot! I'd say it's still one of the worst Bond movies to date!

:-O =))

That's the funniest thing I've ever read.
    00Beast wrote:
    es008 wrote:

:-O =))

That's the funniest thing I've ever read.

Sorry, I don't get the joke.
    Not sure if its the best movie in the series! But it is one of the classics!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    It is an important part of the series; iconic, brought many fans, had some great characters, scenes ... parts of it lag, but still it is a classic. Many will find it not to be the best Bond film (myself included) but it did a lot for this franchise (actually made it a going franchise). I mean, just the title song alone (the first indeliby BOND theme, and it had wide ranging influences) and Shirley Eaton covered in gold ... forever in our Bond memories and popular culture. It is in my top 8 for sure and is indelibly Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    We are actually creating somewhat of a consensus! Good show peeps. :-bd
    After watching all the bond's again recently, came to the conclusion guy hamilton's bond movie's are all pretty average. Goldfinger is all style and little substance IMO
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    It is one of the best but is it THE best? No and it almost hurts me to say that because it was my first Bond movie and and it was in my #1 spot until about a couple of weeks ago.
    After watching all the bond's again recently, came to the conclusion guy hamilton's bond movie's are all pretty average. Goldfinger is all style and little substance IMO
    And repetitive.
    It is one of the best but is it THE best? No and it almost hurts me to say that because it was my first Bond movie and and it was in my #1 spot until about a couple of weeks ago.

It was technically my first two, discounting some Brosnan I saw when I was too little to comprehend any of it. It still doesn't have that high of a spot, but like most here I respect what it did for the franchise.
    It's a great film.
    It's not the best bond film but it's pretty close.
    I must have responded to things like this (Goldfinger movie) about 12,000 times the last year most likely, but once again and keeping it short-

People can say they think it's best, that's all very well and good, no problem etc, but for this viewer I've always found it somewhat lifeless and banal, there's no sense in lying

From the moment Connery emerges from the water with a plastic duck on his head to the confusing ending on the airplane, nothing much goes on, I'm being serious

Blackman is not a memorable Bond girl for me, I just found her always plain and uninteresting and she was too old at the time maybe, older than Connery by all accounts

Frobe is actually quite good, Ok voiced dubbed over, but as with Honey, you never really notice it. I had some fun with him on occasion even

Harold Sekata as the mute assistant, does really well, the end fight at the Fort Knox depository is probably the highlight of the film for me, very well done

But all said, not much else happens, said it so many times before that Connery spends half the film sitting down. The Golf match early on is quite fun actually, but scenes like this were few and far between. I don't really like the Bassey song either. Pity really as Connery was perhaps just past his supreme best by this time and the end product was an all round disappointment, there's just simply not enough action here to keep the viewer interested

If people think this is the best Bond release to date, then by god I'd hate to see the ones you think deserve to be thrown in the trash..
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    And this one is to be closed because we have a
    similar discussion going on already!
This discussion has been closed.