Can the '007 Theme' return?

RC7RC7
edited February 2012 in Music Posts: 10,512
I've always loved the bombastic nature of the '007 Theme' as far back as I can remember, particularly the FRWL orchestration. I'm keen to canvass opinion on whether you as Bond fans feel this theme could/should/will return at some point?

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited February 2012 Posts: 4,399
    could it return? - Maybe

should it return? - Definitely

will it return? - Doubtful

the rights to that tune belonged to the late Mr. John Barry.
  • RC7RC7
    I'd very much like to hear a re-orchestrated version. It's quite a series motif for me, despite being in only the five films.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    If EON get the rights, you can bet your life Arnold would use it. I'd love for it to return if everything can be worked out.
  • HASEROT wrote:
    could it return? - Maybe

Agreed with what Haserot says. I'd be curious to hear a "tweaked" version of it - I don't think that the classic version - such as from FRWL - would work in very many scenes in a modern film. However, given the right circumstances it would be very cool and (to the general public!) different.

• RC7RC7
    I don't think that the classic version - such as from FRWL - would work in very many scenes in a modern film.

I agree, that's why I'd love to see if could be updated while maintaining the essence of the original.

Its a wonderful piece of music! I would dearly love to hear it in a Bond movie again. As far as i am aware there is no rift is there? Between the Barry family and Eon?

I don't think we will get it as we are all awaiting the James Bond theme in an action set piece to return?!!!!
  • I would love for it to return. It is a great piece of music & is only second to the actual signature bond theme tune. I'd have it in the new bond film as an updated version without thinking twice, but us fans don't make those decisions sadly.
    HASEROT wrote:
    could it return? - Maybe

I agree. We have not heard the famed 007 theme since DAF. It is as if it never existed. A pity.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:
    could it return? - Maybe

I agree. We have not heard the famed 007 theme since DAF. It is as if it never existed. A pity.

It made a comeback in Moonraker.
  • I am sure they will have it with the 50 anniversary and all.......can't afford to decide not to have it
    Shame, they could of used the 007 theme anytime after 2013 when the 50 year copyright would expire but it has been expanded to 70 years.
    I'm sure if Barry would be credited as Norman was for the main theme their shouldn't be a problem
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Virage wrote:
    I'm sure if Barry would be credited as Norman was for the main theme their shouldn't be a problem

but even if you credit someone for their work - you still can't use it without permission being given first.

John Barry's 007 theme is jointly owned by Eon and now John's Family!!.
    Eon (Broccoli) and Lauire barry are good friends so if John's 007 theme was wanted in SkyFall then there would be no probs there!!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I agree that the 007 Theme is a superb piece of music but it's fairly unsuitable I think in a modern Bond film. A brilliant composer would have to labour feverishly IMO to have it fit a contemporary score.
    Would be great to have it back in a chase scene
    How about a modern respectful version on the end credits?
    edited February 2012 Posts: 13,350
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I agree that the 007 Theme is a superb piece of music but it's fairly unsuitable I think in a modern Bond film. A brilliant composer would have to labour feverishly IMO to have it fit a contemporary score.

Bits of the theme would work such as the rift from 8 - 13 seconds in the below video. Small hints would add something to the proceedings such as when Bond is running, think the recent photos, for example. Even the background beat throught the theme is great, just on it's own.

MrEon wrote:
    John Barry's 007 theme is jointly owned by Eon and now John's Family!!.
    Eon (Broccoli) and Lauire barry are good friends so if John's 007 theme was wanted in SkyFall then there would be no probs there!!

You really think this is so? If this is the case it should show up as soon as Anrold gets his hands on another Bond score.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    How about a modern respectful version on the end credits?
    That's a good idea. But still I don't think this is gonna happen.
    I'm afraid to the average movie goer this theme is simply forgotten. They would probably not even recognise it - neither the original version, not to speak of an adaption. All they expect and want to hear is the JB theme..
    Thus I don't think Eon will take the bother to 1. license the piece and (if license would be granted at all) 2. have it adapted to fit a modern movie.
    It's just too much effort for just some Bond geeks (sorry guys ;-)) to appreciate.
    edited February 2012 Posts: 13,350
    It's a great theme though, that's the bottom line. Who wouldn't want it in a less intense, lighter, action scene for their? This "full Bond" thing we now have from Skyfall onwards could make great use of the 007 theme I reckon. We'll know if that's the case after the release.
    Would also be a very nice nod to John Barry too!
    RogueAgent wrote:

As well as making up for all the films it hasn't been in, I agree. If it is able to be used, give the composer the choice to decide, if they want to use it or not. EON should at least be open to idea and as you say @RogueAgent, it's by far the best way to honour Barry's work for Bond bar the main theme itself.
    Indeed, its such a classic piece of music in the films that it appeared in. Barry proved it could be modernised and tweaked. If the family and Eon are on good terms? Why not discuss it?
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I would not be surprised, if they payed tribute to him in the end credits - in written form. If this was accompanied by some special music, that would be great!

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Ultimate 007 Music collection has a re-orchestrated version from the City of Prague orchestra, it sounds modern enough to be in Skyfall. *fingers crossed*
    Great piece of music. Bring it back.
    Murdock wrote:
    The Ultimate 007 Music collection has a re-orchestrated version from the City of Prague orchestra, it sounds modern enough to be in Skyfall. *fingers crossed*

Their "Thunderball" is absolutely beautiful, as well as all the others.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I was listening to the Thunderball OST the other day, so I popped in my QoS DVD and skipped to the eco hotel finale and "The Death of Largo" track fits perfectly. I'd love to hear it in Skyfall. here's hoping for it being the 50th anniversary in all.
  • I'd live to hear it return is some form or another. Perhaps not in its enirity but woven into the score would be kind of cool.

If you listen to Alpine Escape from Nightfire (1:30) you can hear it in there...
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 121