The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I sense a contender for Bond for the first real time!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    chrisisall wrote:
    I sense a contender for Bond for the first real time!
    Do you think his taking the role of Solo ends, hurts or helps his chances of someday being Bond. I tend to think hurts.

talos7 wrote:
    Do you think his taking the role of Solo ends, hurts or helps his chances of someday being Bond.
    In days past it would have killed it dead. In today's entertainment climate I think it might help, but certainly won't hurt, UNLESS the UNCLE movie starts some kind of UNCLE fad because it's so good. That would leave a lasting impression that would mess up Cavill's ever being Bond IMO.

chrisisall wrote:
    talos7 wrote:
    Do you think his taking the role of Solo ends, hurts or helps his chances of someday being Bond.
    In days past it would have killed it dead. In today's entertainment climate I think it might help, but certainly won't hurt, UNLESS the UNCLE movie starts some kind of UNCLE fad because it's so good. That would leave a lasting impression that would mess up Cavill's ever being Bond IMO.

I could not have said it better. There is a chance that the U.N.C.L.E. movie will be that good if it captures the charm of the original characters. If the film works they have plans for a follow up.

Personally, I'd love to see an U.N.C.L.E. and Bond film every other year.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Likewise. When there's no Bond we can have UNCLE.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 1,707
    [img][/img]73f660275198717.jpg

Well, Armie has lightened his hair as Illya.
  • Casting calls for Warner Bros. Pictures feature film 'The Man from U.N.C.L.E.' in London

Skyline Films and Wigram Productions in association with SKA Films and Davis Entertainment are now in production on the Warner Bros. Pictures spy-fi feature film "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.", and the extras casting directors are hiring people for general extras and featured background actors. A casting call has gone out for people who have pre-1965 era automobiles to appear in the film with their car, for a memorable and iconic scene involving Grand Prix racing. The film is based on the 1960's NBC television series of the same name. Principal photography will take place in England, as well as Rome and Naples in Italy.

Read More:

http://www.extra-casting.com/2013/09/casting-calls-for-warner-bros-pictures.html
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Should I feel very annoyed that UNCLE has gone and done Grand Prix racing before Bond, when it's Bond's own turf? In the books he's into that. Because I do, you know.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Should I feel very annoyed that UNCLE has gone and done Grand Prix racing before Bond, when it's Bond's own turf? In the books he's into that. Because I do, you know.

As Delfloria noted, UNCLE did the Grand Prix in the spring of 1965, in the next-to-last episode of the first season. Now, it was a generic "Grand Prix" as opposed to Formula 1, with Southern California doubling for the South of France.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0641097/

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Bond + Racing? GoldenEye anyone?
    Building Cafe Gustav:

Todays tidbit from the Alicia Vikander fan site is:

Vikander confirmed in a interview in Toronto that she starts UNCLE this week. We still don't have a name for the NEW girl from UNCLE.
    From Henrycavillnews:

(And this is where it gets exciting.

La Repubblica says in this scene "thirty rafts carrying special forces will launch an assault on the beach, in pursuit of an international criminal hiding in the halls of the Aragonese fortress (Baia Castle)."

According to the paper, in the scene the criminal they are looking for tries to escape in a car, giving way to a chase that will lead up a tunnel to the lighthouse in Miseno. This is a view of Cape Miseno from Baia Castle.) - www.henrycavillnews.com (Photos and press interviews are over there as well.)

Well, we have not seen a big battle in a Bond film in a long while so I guess it's up to U.N.C.L.E..
    delfloria wrote:
    Well, we have not seen a big battle in a Bond film in a long while so I guess it's up to U.N.C.L.E..

Yes. YES! I am SO looking forward to this now!! Viva la 60's!!!
    delfloria wrote:
    Uncle is shaping up to be the best Bond film in the last 8 years. And yes that is a none too subtle poke at the Craig era.
    This Uncle film looks like it is determined to revive the Bond/Uncle spyfy vibe of the '60s. Bravo. I haven't been so jacked for a film since I guess GE in 1995 and the return of 007 to the big screen.

• The Deadline entertainment news site reports on the casting of the main villain:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/luca-calvani-lands-villain-in-man-from-uncle-signs-with-paradigm/

Here's the significance of the name of the villain:

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2013/09/12/luca-calvani-is-u-n-c-l-e-movie-villain-deadline-says/

Or check out the review here of episodes 30 and 31:

http://hmss.com/otherspies/uncleepisodeguide/uncle2.html
    I'm gonna burst like Kananga!!!
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Thank you @AlexanderWaverly.
    Yes!!!Arch Villain Alexander is back,originally played by Rip Torn, in what I believe was the first colour episode of the Uncle tv series (the orignal pilot episode excepted) -- the two-parter that kicked off the glorious Season Two at the height of global Unclemania, rivaling even the Bondmania of the day.
    I've got to load the Alexander trailer here as well (although do follow @Waverly's link, two posts above, to the fine hmssweblog posting as well)
    It's the trailer to the cinema feature-film version of the original tv episode.
    Sharp eyes will spot YOLT's Osato, Teru Shimada, in the trailer.
    ...must have.... DVD....
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 4,622
    chrisisall wrote:
    ...must have.... DVD....
    Ask and you shall receive. As you may be aware, all 8 thrill-packed Uncle feature films can be found on one handy dvd collection, available at your local Amazon.
    It looks real good on the mantle alongside your complete 007 blu-ray collection, and official complete Uncle TV series, briefcase-packaged dvd set.

51k4ZulFHbL.jpg

Luca Calvani as lead villain in new film!!!
    lucacalvani.jpg

• The complicated history of The Man From UNCLE and color:

1) The pilot was filmed in color (this is part of the extras on the MFU series DVD set).
    2) Despite that, NBC requests a black and white copy to view because executives anticipate it will be broadcast in B&W.
    3) MGM/Arena films additional scenes, in color, to make a movie version (involving Robert Vaughn and Luciana Paluzzi).
    4) Series is picked up. The Double Affair is filmed in color because of plans to make a movie version of it. Additional footage is also filmed.
    5) Sept. 22, 1964: a black and white version of the pilot is broadcast.
    6) Spring 1965: The extra footage from both the pilot and Double is used, with a new plot, in the black and white episode, The Four-Steps Affair.
    7) Production of the second season begins with The Ultimate Computer Affair. However...
    8) The two-part Alexander the Greater Affair (no "The" in the title) is produced after but is shown first in September 1965.
    9) Starting with Alexander, future UNCLE movies will be based off two-part episodes.

I can't guarantee all these steps took place in exactly this order but I believe this to be pretty accurate.
  • Mike Inglis ‏@Lorenzo49 Next week filming at Goodwood for new Man from Uncle movie.

He is Grand Prix Driver https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BRkIrX1CUAAaEyl.jpg
  • Bond Production Manager Terry Bamber working on The Man From UNCLE http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0051403/

@TERRYBAMBI
    I loved the original - now gang be prepared to be amazed at this - it will knock your socks off https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUEpSUDCcAEl-fv.jpg
    @TERRYBAMBI
    I loved the original - now gang be prepared to be amazed at this - it will knock your socks off https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUEpSUDCcAEl-fv.jpg

Can't wait dude!
    Hope to see some kick @$$ guns like these in the movie. :D
    P-38%20UNCLE%20GUN%20CARBINE%204.JPG
    Murdock wrote:
    Hope to see some kick @$$ guns like these in the movie. :D
    P-38%20UNCLE%20GUN%20CARBINE%204.JPG

Don't we all. Let's hope their original designs live up to the old classic TV UNCLE Specials. Ritchie did say that they plan to start from scratch.

Granted I've never seen the show outside that George Lazenby cameo in the 80's but Old designs or new, I have a feeling I'm going to get really inspired by the gadgets and weapons they will use in this movie. :)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited September 2013 Posts: 11,139
    If this film can capture the essence of the original series then we're in for a cracking good time.
    doubleoego wrote:
    If this film can capture the essence of the original series then we're in for a cracking good time.
    With what I've seen thus far, confidence is high.
  • Latest: another actor will play "young Napoleon Solo" in addition to Cavill playing Solo as an agent.

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/u-n-c-l-e-movie-has-young-solo-character/