Here's a Suggestion For A New Bond Game

edited October 2011 in 007 Gaming Posts: 669

Comments

So ... your proposal for a new Bond game is to splice three old Bond games together?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    MAKING ME REPLAY EVER BOND MOMENT I'VE PLAYED IN THE LAST THREE YEARS IN ONE GAME IS MEAN YOU A-HOLE! I'd rather redo them all in the games they were to begin with.

I noticed what looked like a couple of scenes from QoS PS2 in there, why?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Here's my pitch (will be updated as I come up with ideas, consider this post incomplete for the moment):

PTS - There's a call into MI6 headquarters directly from a terrorist, he's going to blow up Big Ben if he isn't given so much money at a certain time (this time being the last time good ol' Big Ben ever tolls if he doesn't get what he wants). M is furious, and she shouts at Tanner to get her whoever is available at the moment.

Now we cut to outside Big Ben (and whatever building is attached to it, sorry, I don't know London that well), and an Aston Martin DBS pulls up, the door opens, a cigarette is tossed onto the ground, a foot comes down and stamps it out. Camera pans up to Bond, who has a briefcase cuffed to his wrist. He walks up to the representative for the terrorist and says, "James Bond, Treasury." Obvious lie, but the terrorists don't know that.

Bond, using some of his fancy hand-to-hand as well as the briefcase cuffed to his wrist, takes the terrorists out, then goes into the building. Not needing to explain the obligitory action sequences, Bond eventually gets to whatever room it is that could destroy all of Big Ben.

He comes face to face with somebody he hasn't put away or down yet (I figure Greco from Blood Stone, since Bond just left him bloodied on the ground as he drove off to stop the bomb in Athens). The guy (hereafter called "Greco") realizes who Bond is and knows that Bond is there to stop him, so he sets the timer on the bomb (he has to do this just for there to be a boss fight). As the timer ticks down, Bond and Greco fight hand-to-hand, probably using quicktime events.

Bond knocks Greco out, but he's still not dead. Quickly, before the bomb goes off, Bond disarms it and picks up a gun. Greco pulls a gun himself, aims at Bond, pulls the trigger - but the gun is empty. Bond spins, then, using the gunbarrel sequence, kills Greco.

Cue the title sequence.

(to be continued)
    How about this: instead of writing up stories, we look at the gameplay mechanics. Get rid of the COD-style regenerating health and clearly-marked objectives. Go back to the days of needing health packs to recover, and sprawling open layouts with multiple paths of the objectives.
    Sorry, but those days have died. Gamers are getting younger and younger, and developers need to appeal to everyone with the gameplay. The story is, now, the only real way to branch out. And, well, I'm fine with COD gameplay. I'm a little tired of the on-screen objective markers, but I can look past them (so to speak).
    Gamers are getting younger and younger, and developers need to appeal to everyone with the gameplay.
    Well, they shouldn't be - these are violent games that we're talking about.
    edited October 2011 Posts: 7,854
    Yeah, but if parents actually kept an eye on the games their kids played, they couldn't bitch to the government about violent games.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    ... Thanks for that nice waste of time.
    Y'know, even if it's a sucky concept for a game (taking three previous games and splicing them together) it's a good video.
    How about this: instead of writing up stories, we look at the gameplay mechanics. Get rid of the COD-style regenerating health and clearly-marked objectives. Go back to the days of needing health packs to recover, and sprawling open layouts with multiple paths of the objectives.
    See Goldeneye Wii/Reloaded, 007 Classic mode.
    Good point.
    I LOVE THAT IDEA!!!

@Skyfall
    "007 classic" mode only had regular healthbar. Other than that, it was full COD. See the QTE, limited weapons, limited maps and limited locations with rubbish design.

OK, everyone. My point of the new Bond game was to make a REAL Bond story, including facilities, hovercraft chase, Aston Martin flying (not a plane, just Bond driving it off a height to land it on the train) and equipped with classic Bond gadgets, romantic scenes, happy endings, cool actions (just like Bond telling them that "I'm the best. I'm the coolest. If I look at me, you should get scared, be afraid, run away, because I always win and I am always the last man standing). You know what I'm saying.
    I'd like a non-COD ripoff, but, especially now that Activision owns the license, that's all we're gonna see for a while, I'm sure. Hell, I'm waiting for Infinity Ward to make one. 007 Classic is the closest we're gonna get with Activision as publisher.
    That's true. That's why I want Valve to develop and publish Bond Games. The "Half-Life" style gameplay and its mechanics are awesome!!! the coolest ever!!!
    I don't know about Valve... Kojima Productions would kick ass with a Bond game. Hell, I bet even Capcom could do a passable job. Visceral Games, with the engine used on Dead Space, would be pretty good, but that would mean Activision losing the license back to EA.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I still like the idea of an Assasins Creed esque setup. The game begins by dropping the player onto the Villains island with only a jungle and beach area to explore. But as you play through the game, you can unlock a hotel complex, industial zone, airfield, mountain rage / ski lodge, all the while opening up the play area.

I could never imagine Activision putting the effort in for such a Bond game, but it's nice to dream.
    I have a suggestion release the game we saw clips from like a year ago the one with Daniel Craig running through a middle eastern town!
    @Risico007

That'd be nice, to say the least. IF we ever see it, it'll be next year or later.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    since EON would have no interest in producing the Gardner, Benson, Faulkes, and Deaver novels into films - why don't they turn them into video games?.. they don't need to do 100% perfect adaptations, but blend elements from certain novels together... I guess I have this idea, because I am halfway through CARTE BLANCHE (and loving it btw), and I could picture parts of this book so far, as amazing playable sequences...

if it were my way, I would like to have this as a generic Bond - no likeness to current or previous actors - and would probably play a lot like Assassin's Creed or Splinter Cell, with a masterful score composed by Inon Zur - composer for games such as Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Crysis, and Dragon Age II.
    Blood Stone's composer (I forget his name) did a good job. I'd love to see either him or Kevin Kiner return to score Bond games.
    since EON would have no interest in producing the Gardner, Benson, Faulkes, and Deaver novels into films - why don't they turn them into video games?.. they don't need to do 100% perfect adaptations, but blend elements from certain novels together... I guess I have this idea, because I am halfway through CARTE BLANCHE (and loving it btw), and I could picture parts of this book so far, as amazing playable sequences...

if it were my way, I would like to have this as a generic Bond - no likeness to current or previous actors - and would probably play a lot like Assassin's Creed or Splinter Cell, with a masterful score composed by Inon Zur - composer for games such as Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Crysis, and Dragon Age II.
    I tried to a create a thread based solely on that concept... I see Video Games as the ability to in essence be able to do things the films can't Personally due to royalties or honor or whatever reason EON wants to give they can't use the post Fleming novels Activision can and should If they approached the novel Colonel Sun for example like eon (bringing it into the current day casting actors like Daniel Craig and the best voice over actors) and working very closely with the novel (but bringing new elements in) they could conceivably give us a game that will make us forget about Goldeneye forever no joke.

In addition to introducing HALF-LIFE style game mechanics with health packs and no (or limited) cover-based gameplay, here's a few other ideas that could be introduced:

- RPG elements. A lot of games like MASS EFFECT do this, but they don't really do it properly. Levelling up in-game (or meeting objectives) would enable Bond to assign skill points to various traits, improving his aim, his ability to charm information out of others, his overall health and so on so that overall character management is a big part of the game, but also one that allows for versatility. Not on the same level as FINAL FANTASY VIII's Junction System (which allowed complete customisation of characters, but was incredibly complex).

- GTA-style free-roaming. It doesn't have to be to the same scale as the likes fo SAN ANDREAS and GRAND THEFT AUTO IV, but if the game were broken up into sections based on the countries they take place in, then if each country has an area the size of, say SAN ANDREAS' "Los Santos" area, it would be amanageable (especially since we're into seventh-generation consoles, which can handle more than the PS2 could). A free-roam mode would allow the player to progress at their own pace instead of being forced through corridors full of bad guys.

- Real-time strategy mechanics. One of the hallmarks of the old films was Bond leading an attacking force against the villain; the underwater battle in THUNDERBALL, the assault on the volcano in YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE and the finale of ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE all spring to mind. I think it would be great if, at the end of a level (or at set points in the game if it used a GTA-style sandbox), the player could take a step back and fill the role of M, assigning resources to intelligence-gathering, developing new gadgets and weapons and training up soldiers for the climax. How you play this part of the game would directly affect the parts where you play as Bond.
    In addition to introducing HALF-LIFE style game mechanics with health packs and no (or limited) cover-based gameplay, here's a few other ideas that could be introduced:

- RPG elements. A lot of games like MASS EFFECT do this, but they don't really do it properly. Levelling up in-game (or meeting objectives) would enable Bond to assign skill points to various traits, improving his aim, his ability to charm information out of others, his overall health and so on so that overall character management is a big part of the game, but also one that allows for versatility. Not on the same level as FINAL FANTASY VIII's Junction System (which allowed complete customisation of characters, but was incredibly complex).

- GTA-style free-roaming. It doesn't have to be to the same scale as the likes fo SAN ANDREAS and GRAND THEFT AUTO IV, but if the game were broken up into sections based on the countries they take place in, then if each country has an area the size of, say SAN ANDREAS' "Los Santos" area, it would be amanageable (especially since we're into seventh-generation consoles, which can handle more than the PS2 could). A free-roam mode would allow the player to progress at their own pace instead of being forced through corridors full of bad guys.

- Real-time strategy mechanics. One of the hallmarks of the old films was Bond leading an attacking force against the villain; the underwater battle in THUNDERBALL, the assault on the volcano in YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE and the finale of ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE all spring to mind. I think it would be great if, at the end of a level (or at set points in the game if it used a GTA-style sandbox), the player could take a step back and fill the role of M, assigning resources to intelligence-gathering, developing new gadgets and weapons and training up soldiers for the climax. How you play this part of the game would directly affect the parts where you play as Bond.
    The Dead Rising-style RPG elements would be fine in a Bond game. Dead Rising is also a free-roam/sandbox game, with an area at least the size of Los Santos. And, as for RTS mechanics, I don't think those would work in a Bond game.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2011 Posts: 15,686
    Honestly shadow has made a great post - free-roaming and real-time strategy would be a truely welcomed sight for Bond games. Bond games need a complete overhaul. I think it is be easier to change drasticly the 007 games than the films, so I hope EON finds a developper that would take the time to make a completly new Bond game. Rockstar would be my choice.
    I don't know if Rockstar would actually work. They're more the M-rated category, with their games catering to only the kind of people who play M-rated games. I think that's why EON chose Activision currently and EA in the past, as they cater to a large group of people (Activision has COD, which while there are M-rated games in the series, it's not going to be a problem if anybody plays them; EA makes sports games, which far too many people play instead of the real sports).
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    if EA were to make another Bond game, it had better be with Frostbite 2 technology that they are using for Battlefield 3, and Need For Speed: The Run.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

The trouble with a Bond RPG is that Bond has all the skills from the outset. So it would either have to be a video game Bond reboot or focus the game on a new OO Agent (but not in the way GE:RA did). The latter I would prefer if it had RPG elements.
    if EA were to make another Bond game, it had better be with Frostbite 2 technology that they are using for Battlefield 3, and Need For Speed: The Run.
    But, there we go again with the COD style games (well, not Need for Speed), which is getting kind of tired.
    But, there we go again with the COD style games (well, not Need for Speed), which is getting kind of tired.
    i never said it needed to be 1st person.... or did I?

all i said was that it use the same graphics engine, which looks phenomenal.
    No, you didn't say that it did, but Frostbite is more suited to FPS. Yes, the engine is great, and it makes CODMW3 look like a Wii game.