SPOOKS/Mi5 - The Final Series

Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
edited August 2011 in General Movies & TV Posts: 642
This autumn sees the final series of Spooks on BBC aka Mi5 in the US.
The final series will focus on Harry Pearce being haunted by a story from his past that will prove unshakeable.
Previous cast members are (rumoured) to be returning.

For me Spooks was the start of british TV realising they had to up there game. Gone were the days of cosy, low concept tv shows with minimal chance of getting out of the studio. Spooks (alongside 24) really came as a refreshment in the early naughties. Whether both outstayed their welcome, im not sure.

Spooks featured intelligent scripts, full of british humour, bite and clever metaphorical speak that is so often very hard to recreate without it seeming contrived.

Some may argue that Spooks was a bit too low key in it's execution...I think that was done purposefully to show a more realistic approach. The tech side would rear its head but only at times when it was absolutely necessary, ultimately this was about the people. Mi5 being the 'poor relation' of 6 was always good to explore, the underdog always trounced it's betters and showed a tad more wit as opposed to arrogance and bullish group thinking from Vauxhall Cross winning the day.

So we now wave goodbye to the series that in many ways challenged convention, ran storylines that were actually quite propheitc and alongside 24 restored my faith in TV.

Share your thoughts.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.