If Mr. White returns for future Bond films(Craig films or future films) who would play him?

0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
edited July 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 28,694
As most Bond fans know, Jesper Christensen has remarked when interviewed that the Bond films(CR and QoS namely) are s&@#, and he didn't like them because "everyone" died. MI6 gave great coverage of this, and a link to a piece of the interview is below:

http://mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=8330

Personally I think White should be reprised by Chris Cooper, who is gritty, strong in acting talent and has played these types before. His interpretation of Alexander Conklin in the Bourne Identity and The Bourne Supremacy were chilling and well delivered, though the Conklin of the books is quite different. Any thoughts from fans of Cooper? Is he a good choice, and if not who do you think would continue Mr. White's presence in the future Bond films?

Comments

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2011 Posts: 4,437
    Jesper Christensen :bz

Tchéky Karyo (Already seen in Goldeneye, but he looks like the moost on Jesper Christensen and the strong chacter developt of his chacter in Goldeneye have Mr White also.)

Klaus Tange. Born and theater scool in Denmark, but raised in Germany and Switzerland.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Tcheky Karyo !! Fantastic choice, M_Balje !! :-bd
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    And it wouldn't be the first time a Bond villain returned to play a different character, thanks to Joe Don Baker.
    Yes, Tchéky Karyo would make an epic Mr. White! I loved the character of Dimitri Mischkin. The scene in the interrogation room was incredible! I hope White returns, considering he is a major member of Quantum.
    I love the little back and forth banter between Bond and Mischkin in the interrogation room.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2011 Posts: 13,350
    To be fair to Christensen though, afterwards he did add this:

http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=8336&t=mi6&s=gf

As for who should replace him, no one. Either write the character out or get Jesper back.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Thanks @Samuel001 for clarification. That gives me hope that maybe Christensen was having a bad day when he made those previous comments and would be willing to return in the future when he has no movies lined up. Hopefully EON will forgive and forget, White has potential for evil in future films.
    Thanks @Samuel001 for clarification. That gives me hope that maybe Christensen was having a bad day when he made those previous comments and would be willing to return in the future when he has no movies lined up. Hopefully EON will forgive and forget, White has potential for evil in future films.
    Of course it doesn't necessarily have to be this upcoming film either. Having a film off may be a good thing. Maybe nearer the end of Craig's films, or with another actor as Bond.

Who knows when White will return but it'll be great when he does - and I'm sure he will.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2011 Posts: 15,690
    If he returns - it's to be revealed as the head of Quantum... If not, don't use him again, and he will forever be the most appalling character in the franchise. How can a potentially great character be treated in such pathetic, insulting way is just wrong. One of the worst aspects of CR and QOS.
    If he returns - it's to be revealed as the head of Quantum...
    I think that would be rather bland, boring and predictable. I want good plots in Bond films, that could be one of worst choices EON could make in my opinion.
    If not, don't use him again, and he will forever be the most appalling character in the franchise.
    For me, that would happen if they don't bring him back.
    How can a potentially great character be treated in such pathetic, insulting way is just wrong. One of the worst aspects of CR and QOS.
    I think it was just a build up in those two films for eventually what's to come, so yes, so far White's character is very underdeveloped.
    Well Mr White has to have HUGE screentime in his 3rd film. By HUGE I mean nothing less than main villain... With barely 4 minutes of screentime in 2 movies, his appallingly treated character must get some justice. He was factually horribly written in CR, and again for QOS, but a little better (but still horribly written).
    The only importance Mr. White had whatsoever was to kill Le Chiffre. That's about it. Even his interrogation scene was cut short, and for the sole purpose of exposing Mitchell as a traitor. I hope that White returns in Bond 23, and that he will be given a tremendously larger role as a villain.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Mr White had the potential to be a great character and Christensen's performance was excellent however he was badly underused in quantum. He should come back even if played by a different actor.

Also it seems unfair for Christensen to say that "everybody dies". He didn't!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Mr. White has seemed to be used badly but many of what I've seen commented on can be explained. Mr. White didn't just kill Le Chiffre to kill him. Le Chiffre was stupid with Obanno's cash and ended up trying to cover it up and failed because he didn't figure Bond would be such a match for him. Le Chiffre was killed so Bond could remain alive and so Vesper could get the password when the money needs to be transferred while Bond heals at Lake Como. When the pair are in Venice Getler and White are in place and Vesper gets them the money with Bond alive out of the deal. Bond finds out the money is being withdrawn, sees it has to be Vesper doing it, and chases after the men and her. As he fights in the crumbling building Vesper locks herself in an elevator and plunges into the water, drowning as Bond desperately tries to reach her. The entire scene is horrific and you feel for Bond the most of Craig's tenure so far. The money now withdrawn White gets it and runs off, thinking he is safe. In QoS the interrogation is not just to reveal Mitchell as a double agent. It sets off White for an inevitable escape and later appearance. If White spilled everything at that part(the beginning of the film for crying out loud) the rest of the movie would have been uninteresting and it wouldn't have left anything the imagination. At least up to Bregenz Opera House we are left not knowing of White's whereabouts or what he's up to. That scene was well handled and you can't call White's role uninspired. While literally all the Quantum members from Greene to Haines flee suspiciously and out in the open for Bond to see(and take pictures of) White stays seated and blends in. That was a brilliant part of QoS, the only bad part about the scene being that we never see White again. White has had roles that pull the story forward, though they appear to lack meaning.
    After the failure at the Miami Airport in CR, I think Le Chiffre was an expandable asset - if he won the poker tournament, he won the money back; all would be back to normal. If he didn't, then Mr. White could do what he did, and in exchange, Vesper worked with him to get him his money. They should have known Bond wouldn't give up the password for anything.
    They didn't expect Bond to break. But there should be a breaking point for him. Every man has a price after all.
    Well his manhood was threatened and Vesper was screaming in the other room. When Le Chiffre kicked him over to cut off said manhood, he didn't look like he was going to be caving there, either.
    That's my issue. Even a man as cold hearted as Bond should still have a point at which he breaks. He thought Vesper was being hurt so he exchanged witty banter to Le Chiffre to hide his fear. I agree with what you're saying, i just want Bond to break, and show more humanity. It would make him more believable to a viewing audience. I know Bond is the quintessential poster boy for a man completely in service of his country, it would just be good to show Bond see the danger of relenting and give in. I dunno.
    I agree whole-heartedly. I already like that they're making him more human by actually having him hurt, to the point where, for a split second, I thought he was going to kill himself - along with Camille - at the end of QoS. They need to show more ways of him being human.
    @Creasy47:
    "Like you said, one shot. Make it count."
    I like that scene as well. She thinks Bond is going to end it right then and there. However, we're certainly glad he doesn't!
    Absolutely! It's just great how Craig seems more human than the other Bond's, making me think for a split second "Here we are, the end of Bond." Nope! Sure enough that wall piece falls down and the day is (thankfully) saved.
    @Creasy47: Or when Bond was being whipped to death by Le Chiffre. I could not think of one possible way for him to escape that death trap, that is, until Mr. White came in and shot Le Chiffre!
    @00Beast: Neither could I. I just sat back, jaw open, waiting for Bond to break from the rope and take him down, then continue traversing the barge to save Vesper. There's actually a deleted scene that shows Bond being taken away on a stretcher and wrapped in heating blankets, all the while being taken to a hospital. Not upset that it was taken out of the final film, but still a good watch.
    @Creasy47: Interesting about the deleted scene! Where can that be found?
    Yeah Creasy. It's not on any CR DVDs.
    I have it on blu-ray, that may be why. My apologies. It's the CE, also contains a scene of Bond and Vesper walking off the train towards the cab that takes them to Hotel Splendid, an alternate opening (shows Bond as he meets up with Fisher, includes a more brutal fight), and the scene I listed above.
    edited July 2011 Posts: 28,694
    Fisher?
    Fisher is the guy that Bond kills in the bathroom in the PTS. He's listed in the credits, but even in the alternate opening, his name is never given.
    Ahhhh, Bond's first kill of two to become a 00. I never knew the name of him, and never heard of him being called Fisher. I just thought he was "Dryden's contact". Thanks for clearing that up. What more was in the fight? Bond already tried to drown the guy in the sink, and before that painted the stalls with Fisher. It must be insane.
    You're welcome. It confused me, too, up until a few months ago when I finally found out. Never knew how people knew his name. It shows a cricket match at a country club, of sorts. Bond is watching Fisher, Fisher knows Bond is there, so Fisher walks away, and Bond follows. Fisher goes into the yacht club, and as he starts to head up the stairs, Bond pops up through the doorway he just entered. Cue Fisher running down hallways and through locker rooms, and he ends up in the bathroom, gun in hand. Bond bursts through the door and the fight ensues. I don't remember more of the details of the fight, but I know he hits Fisher a lot more, and you get to more clearly see Fisher hold the trashcan up as Bond kicks it and it hits him. You also see a close up of Bond choking Fisher out as he drags him over to the sink, and I also believe you see another close up of Bond dunking Fisher's head underwater. Makes the fight so much more brutal, and I love seeing the little area where they are actually fighting, not just surmising that it is only a miscellaneous bathroom.