Difference between "007 theme" and "James Bond theme"?

zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
edited July 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 4,312
Can someone link me 2 examples that highlight the differences between the 007 and James Bond themes? The Wiki articles are not linked to examples and I have a hard time finding the difference. Do both contain the classic Vic Flick guitar riff? In other words, with which theme does the Intro to Dr. No start (which has the guitar riff later on)?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2011 Posts: 15,690
    OO7 theme :
    (starts at 3m15s)

James Bond Theme :
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Now I get it.
    The 007 theme is the uplifting one and great for the big chases. I was never aware that it featured in more than one film - shame on me.
    James Bond theme is what I expected: Dam-dadada-dam damdam-da
    Thanks a lot, @DaltonCraig007!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2011 Posts: 13,350
    There's a documentary on the 007 Theme on the A View To A Kill DVD, also listing the five films it's in.

7 minutes in.
    The James Bond theme is the one we all know and love and the 007 theme is the one that has appeared sadly on only a few occasions as stated below.

It became a secondary theme for the Bond films, being used in quite a few Bond movies, primarily during action scenes. Here are its most notable appearances:

From Russia with Love — Played during the gypsy camp gunfight and also during Bond's theft of the Lektor decoder from the Russian embassy in Istanbul.
    Thunderball — Played when Bond runs from SPECTRE during a parade and when he joins the climactic underwater fight.
    You Only Live Twice — Played during the flight of "Little Nellie" before Bond battles four helicopters that attack him.
    Diamonds Are Forever — Played during Bond's destruction of Blofeld's Headquarters.
    Moonraker — Played during the Amazon river chase.

I would love it if the tune could be revisited and given a more modern feel in a future Bond flick. Bond 23 prehaps?

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited July 2011 Posts: 4,399
    @myworldisenough...

nobody would love to use that theme more than David Arnold - as he's said in the past.. he's also stated it's a theme that isn't to be used as often as the traditional Bond theme, but to use it during a big momentous occasion (ie: big action scenes)....

but John Barry owns(ed) the rights to that little tune, and since his departure from the franchise, it hasn't been used - nor will it.... unless somehow EON buys the rights to it away from his family - which i doubt will happen....

it's sad that no deal was ever struck, to give Barry royalties on it, should it be used - because it's a beautiful piece of work that I believe should continue to be part of the Bond legacy..
    Yeah, I really loved The 007 Theme, especially in From Russia with Love. I would like to see hear it in Bond 23, but that's probably a far-fetched wish.
    OO7 theme :
    (starts at 3m15s)

James Bond Theme :
    i cant see the second one youtube dont allwows me :(
  • I remember reading many many years ago that Barry claimed that he'd written the 007 Theme so as to earn some royalties from a recurring theme tune, as someone else was picking up the royalties from the other theme that he'd written. Just wish I could find that article.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    is the other theme the James Bond theme? written by Monty Norman? - which is why it HAS to say it at the end of every Bond film lol...