Andrew Scott as Denbigh

in SPECTRE Posts: 9,783
I thought I would start a thread about him and the character, as there is a lot of speculation about the character. I have my reasons to believe it is unlikely he will be a villain, let alone Blofeld, but let's discuss this.
«134

Comments

  • bondjamesbondjames Some men are coming to kill us. We're going to kill them first.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 17,312
    I honestly have no idea, but I'd speculate that he is an MI6 Spectre mole, either working for Guy Haines or someone like Guy Haines. He's there to show us how high the British Government has been infiltrated by Spectre. Either that or he is M's foil at Whitehall. Not necessarily a bad guy, but just an antagonist for M - a bit like Helen McCrory's character in SF. An annoying bureaucrat.

    I agree with the view that he is not famous enough to play Blofeld.
  • Posts: 9,783
    Here's why I don't think he will be the main villain: his name is just wrong for it. Even for a minor one. Bond: "Sir, we were fooled all along, it was Denbigh!"

    It just doesn't sound right. I mean yes, some Bond villains had bland names, but that sounds like middle class Englishman.
  • Posts: 472
    I'd just love to see him as M and would love it even more if Ralph Finnes' M turns out to be Blofeld. I know it's impossible, but I'd love that turn. Bond noticing he's been working for "the bad guys" for months before he notices. And then, have Andrew Scott, who everyone thinks is a villain because of his magnificent Moriarty in BBC's Sherlock, be M for the upcoming 5 movies.

    It's impossible, I know, but it would be great.
  • Posts: 9,783
    Scott is too young. Far too young to be M. For the same reason I cannot see him as the Blofeld: he simply does not have the maturity or stature for either roles. Oh and his name is Denbigh. That sounds more like a pain in the neck.

    Scott said that whether he is a villain or a good guy depends on how you look at him. Which makes me think he will be a nasty bureaucrat. If he is indeed MI5, it would make perfect: rival of MI6, it is surprising the real life rivalry has never been explored in Bond movies yet.
  • bondjamesbondjames Some men are coming to kill us. We're going to kill them first.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 17,312
    0iker0 wrote: »
    I'd just love to see him as M and would love it even more if Ralph Finnes' M turns out to be Blofeld. I know it's impossible, but I'd love that turn. Bond noticing he's been working for "the bad guys" for months before he notices. And then, have Andrew Scott, who everyone thinks is a villain because of his magnificent Moriarty in BBC's Sherlock, be M for the upcoming 5 movies.

    It's impossible, I know, but it would be great.

    I must admit, I like the Fiennes as Blofeld theory, just because he has the gravitas and presence for the role. He'd be a fantastic Blofeld. I don't think they'll go this route though, but still...... and Scott could make a great M as well.
  • I think he is playing 008 M's by the book agent who is against Bond and at the end helps him out realising despite Bonds ways, he is effective and gets the job done.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Posts: 1,995
    Might it have a connection with Mallorys time against IRA?

    Or is he just a fool whom works in the field against the same target as Bond an involuntary creates tough situations for Bond when he uncovers Quantum/SPECTRE?
  • Posts: 9,783
    scouse007 wrote: »
    I think he is playing 008 M's by the book agent who is against Bond and at the end helps him out realising despite Bonds ways, he is effective and gets the job done.

    In the BBC article they say he is MI5. I don't know where they got that from though.
  • Posts: 472
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Scott is too young. Far too young to be M. For the same reason I cannot see him as the Blofeld: he simply does not have the maturity or stature for either roles. Oh and his name is Denbigh. That sounds more like a pain in the neck.

    Scott said that whether he is a villain or a good guy depends on how you look at him. Which makes me think he will be a nasty bureaucrat. If he is indeed MI5, it would make perfect: rival of MI6, it is surprising the real life rivalry has never been explored in Bond movies yet.

    He may be too young, sure. But so is Ben Whishaw for the Q we knew and loved. His Q is different, and so would be Scott's M. Again, imposible, but I'd love that twist.

  • Posts: 9,783
    0iker0 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Scott is too young. Far too young to be M. For the same reason I cannot see him as the Blofeld: he simply does not have the maturity or stature for either roles. Oh and his name is Denbigh. That sounds more like a pain in the neck.

    Scott said that whether he is a villain or a good guy depends on how you look at him. Which makes me think he will be a nasty bureaucrat. If he is indeed MI5, it would make perfect: rival of MI6, it is surprising the real life rivalry has never been explored in Bond movies yet.

    He may be too young, sure. But so is Ben Whishaw for the Q we knew and loved. His Q is different, and so would be Scott's M. Again, imposible, but I'd love that twist.

    Whishaw is not too young to play an arrogent high tech geek working for MI6. He would be too young, however, to play the head of MI6.
  • Posts: 9,403
    I am convinced he is going to be a bad apple! Have no reason for this? Just loved his maniacal take on Moriarty to go on!
  • I think he's going to end up as a certain cat loving villain ! ;)
  • Posts: 9,783
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I think he's going to end up as a certain cat loving villain ! ;)

    Why? How?
  • :)) Don't worry, no inside information, only a guess. ;)
  • Posts: 9,783
    And what makes you think so? He is a bit young for Blofeld, he is English, working for the government...
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Posts: 2,536
    Meddling MI5 beurocrat, nothing more, would be my guess. Although his very deliberate step to the left to be aligned with the 'visiting' acting team was interesting, I really don't see him as an outright villain - more of just a pain in the arse.
  • I watch many murder mysteries, it's always the least likely suspect. ;)
  • Posts: 9,783
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    Meddling MI5 beurocrat, nothing more, would be my guess. Although his very deliberate step to the left to be aligned with the 'visiting' acting team was interesting, I really don't see him as an outright villain - more of just a pain in the arse.

    that's what I think. Judging by what Scott says of the character, it would make sense.
  • Posts: 9,783
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I watch many murder mysteries, it's always the least likely suspect. ;)

    this is not a murder mystery though. Certainly not a,whodunit.
  • :)) I'll hold my hands up next November.
  • Posts: 9,403
    DrGorner wrote: »
    :)) I'll hold my hands up next November.

    Have to be honest i have thought the same!
  • Can't beat " woman's intuition " :))
  • To add a little " meat to the bones" Blofeld first began selling secrets and
    Building up a network of informers, then expanding his criminal empire.
    In today's world, I guess high ranking civil servants have access to many
    Government and private secrets, so perhaps a contemporary Blofeld could
    Come from this area.
    Once again this is only me doing a bit of naval gazing, I have no information
    Only guess work. Another possibility is a twist at the end, an actor not at the
    Press conference who might appear in the last scene of SPECTRE.
    Either way, I think SPECTRE will have a few twists and surprises. :)
  • I'd love him to play a villain because he does it so well. Not Blofeld though. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere but what if they had him as the Big Bad and Blofeld (Waltz hopefully) as the Bigger Bad, pulling the strings and not yet encountering Bond. That is, after all, what they did with Klebb and Largo.
  • Posts: 9,783
    I'd love him to play a villain because he does it so well. Not Blofeld though. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere but what if they had him as the Big Bad and Blofeld (Waltz hopefully) as the Bigger Bad, pulling the strings and not yet encountering Bond. That is, after all, what they did with Klebb and Largo.

    Possible, but I do find more believable that he is an obnoxious bureaucrat. A name like Denbigh fits more for this type of character than a villain. I do agree that if he is a villain he's not the main one. Not with Waltz in the cast.
  • Posts: 203
    so Andrew is a cheap substitute for chitewl fajhnor! great! thanks Sony!
  • Posts: 9,783
    mnhettia wrote: »
    so Andrew is a cheap substitute for chitewl fajhnor! great! thanks Sony!

    I don't mind at all, on the contrary. Andrew Scott is less famous, but he is a capable actor, and in a relatively small role. Beside, Scott looks like a nasty bureaucrat.
  • mnhettia wrote: »
    so Andrew is a cheap substitute for chitewl fajhnor! great! thanks Sony!

    I've missed a memo, what does this mean exactly?
  • Posts: 1,353
    mnhettia wrote: »
    so Andrew is a cheap substitute for chitewl fajhnor! great! thanks Sony!
    actually according to the email Mendes *wanted* Scott, and Sony wanted Chitewel, and after Mendes pitched Scott Sony went "oh, turns out he's cheaper too"
Sign In or Register to comment.