No Time to Die production thread

Comments

The Question is how common is it for directors to threaten to leave a Project. Maybe SP was one of the few instances where a common procedure was leaked to the outside.
    SP might have been improved by Mendes leaving
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 5,767
    No doubt there, depending on how far into the production it would have happened. I guess from a certain stage on it becomes a really daunting Task to replace a director, especially if the Producers let the directors Play around with the Formula as much as is the current Habit.

On the other Hand, if they Hand the script from writer to writer, why not try once and Hand a half-shot film to another director ;-)?
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 137
    boldfinger wrote: »
    No doubt there, depending on how far into the production it would have happened. I guess from a certain stage on it becomes a really daunting Task to replace a director, especially if the Producers let the directors Play around with the Formula as much as is the current Habit.

On the other Hand, if they Hand the script from writer to writer, why not try once and Hand a half-shot film to another director ;-)?

It is a weird one. I always felt that QoS suffered from external factors but ultimately it was Marc Forster that suffered as a result. The writers strike obviously massively hampered efforts, but I also think Marc's insistence on cutting the movie led to a film that feels very pressured.

I feel that as time has gone on, QoS has aged pretty well. In the canon of the other films, it does have a slightly different tone but I feel it works more than it fails. It feels a bit distant in the characterisations of Bond - but given it's context in a wider story arc, I like it. It's one of the reasons I was frustrated with Spectre, trying to retcon the story. It throws away a lot of emotional and narrative capital that the other films had built up.

Obviously, we don't know how much of a hand in story development Mendes had, so it seems unfair to point that finger at him. As I understand it QoS also left the most amount of scenes on the cutting room floor - such as Guy Haines death along with Mr White but I understand this was due to keeping future plotlines open.

So, in one thread we're talking about directors leaving, in another we're talking about how serious Craig's injury is just by looking at his raised feet while walking on crutches.

This is getting ridiculous, wouldn't you say?

At a given point, a member posted a night time photo of a shoot at Pinewood and no one, not a single soul commented on it.

Jeez, guys, a little more hope and enthusiasm wouldn't hurt, would it?
    Univex wrote: »
    So, in one thread we're talking about directors leaving, in another we're talking about how serious Craig's injury is just by looking at his raised feet while walking on crutches.

At a given point, a member posted a night time photo of a shoot at Pinewood and no one, not a single soul commented on it.

It's the internet age - pessimism and cynicism rule - just look at Star Wars fans!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Univex wrote: »

Indeed. It's exhausting.

My eyes hurt from all the rolling they've been doing while looking at some of the stuff that's been posted here, lately.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Lashana Lynch in Pinewood:

ZpCSkn2.jpg

T3KdyO4.jpg
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 17,241
    If anyone wonder why film shoots cost money…

Haugesunder kept James Bond awake
    Many haugesundere (people living in the city of Haugesund) like the coffee at Hos Carlos. Last week, the proprietor was flown in to make coffee on the set of the new James Bond movie.

The article is behind a paywall, so I can't access the rest of the content, but wow – fly a guy to the set only to make coffee…
    https://www.h-avis.no/haugesund/nyheter/puls/haugesunder-holdt-james-bond-vaken/s/5-62-826320

Many haugesundere (people living in the city of Haugesund) like the coffee at Hos Carlos. Last week, the proprietor was flown in to make coffee on the set of the new James Bond movie.

The article is behind a paywall, so I can't access the rest of the content, but wow – fly a guy to the set only to make coffee…
    https://www.h-avis.no/haugesund/nyheter/puls/haugesunder-holdt-james-bond-vaken/s/5-62-826320

Haha so true!

Related: I can't help but notice after a quick Google maps search that Haugesund is absolutely nowhere near the Atlantic Ocean Road. "Flown in", indeed.

Do we think they're secretly filming somewhere else in Norway, or does this place just have really, really good coffee? ;)
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 17,241
    AgentM72 wrote: »

Haha so true!

Related: I can't help but notice after a quick Google maps search that Haugesund is absolutely nowhere near the Atlantic Ocean Road. "Flown in", indeed.

Do we think they're secretly filming somewhere else in Norway, or does this place just have really, really good coffee? ;)

I hope there's more to the story (behind the paywall), because flying in a barista seems so bizarre and unnecessary. You'll find good baristas all over the country. :-?
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    It’s gotten really quiet in the news department. Shame.
    After this very messy production (probably the messiest in Bond movie history), EON will want a very safe pair of hands to direct Bond 26. Yes, I'm thinking Christopher Nolan.
    After this very messy production (probably the messiest in Bond movie history), EON will want a very safe pair of hands to direct Bond 26. Yes, I'm thinking Christopher Nolan.
    They won’t hire an auteur for B26. One of the reasons this has been a messy production is down to the Boyle situation. EON will want to avoid anything like that from here on out.
    With all this heavy rain I hope it hasn't hindered filming too much!
    TR007 wrote: »
    They won’t hire an auteur for B26. One of the reasons this has been a messy production is down to the Boyle situation. EON will want to avoid anything like that from here on out.

Ummm.....here's a video of Fukunaga accepting his Auteur Award at the Indiewire awards......

@TR007 you're clearly not a cinephile. Are you?
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 1,165

Ummm.....here's a video of Fukunaga accepting his Auteur Award at the Indiewire awards......

You miss my point. EON seem to be having trouble with Fukanaga, they had issues with Boyle, they had issues with Mendes. They won’t be going down this route again in a hurry. I know the man’s filmography. You need to take the time to read posts properly rather than being so eager to be snarky. You seem to enjoy trying to provoke people, maybe you need to take some time away from the boards and watch some more movies.

• Getafix wrote: »

Despite what many people around here think of SP and Sam Mendes - I think personally that despite all the problems during the pre-production Mendes probably saved SP during the filming.
    I heard that he wanted to walk because he wasn't happy with the screenplay. It was probably in the pre-production stage as opposed to walking when the film was already shooting.
    Getafix wrote: »

Despite what many people around here think of SP and Sam Mendes - I think personally that despite all the problems during the pre-production Mendes probably saved SP during the filming.
    I heard that he wanted to walk because he wasn't happy with the screenplay. It was probably in the pre-production stage as opposed to walking when the film was already shooting.
    Hear, hear. I think Mendes did a great job keeping the SP ship afloat. It’s strange that he gets so much of the blame for a lousy script.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Oh dear. :-SS

Hear, hear. I think Mendes did a great job keeping the SP ship afloat. It’s strange that he gets so much of the blame for a lousy script.

Easy because after Sam Smiths song is done the movie never gets really going anymore it lacks energy and logic, the action-scenes become pedestrian, the torture scene and the consequent destruction of the SPECTRE headquarters does raise a lot more eyebrows than just Rogers would.

SP is a movie that should have been made with a different director who knows how to do action and a decent movie, SP is easily poorer than anything 007 ever made and CR'67 is a hellofalot more fun.
  • SaintMark wrote: »

Easy because after Sam Smiths song is done the movie never gets really going anymore it lacks energy and logic, the action-scenes become pedestrian, the torture scene and the consequent destruction of the SPECTRE headquarters does raise a lot more eyebrows than just Rogers would.

SP is a movie that should have been made with a different director who knows how to do action and a decent movie, SP is easily poorer than anything 007 ever made and CR'67 is a hellofalot more fun.

Lets not turn this into a SP discussion as there are plenty of other threads for that but I am a SP fan. Personally i thought the action was well handled. Not a huge fan of the BROFELD plot but there is still a lot to enjoy during SP running time. I can easily put it on just to watch the pre-credit sequence and find myself staying all the way to the very end! With the scrip staying the same I don't think another director would have made it any better. For example - Martin Campbell would not have done a better job with the same script and the same action set pieces.

Back to BOND25.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I really do not think Eon is having "trouble" with Cary Fukunaga. Nor is this "the messiest" Bond film production.

Sorry for lack of news as all threads seem to turn into criticism's of past directors/actors/ films.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 6,665
    EON seem to be having trouble with Fukanaga, they had issues with Boyle, they had issues with Mendes.

What?! You must have really good intel. Do tell. Then again, don't.

EON is not having trouble with Fukunaga!!!

We don't know who had issues with who regarding Boyle!!!

They didn't have issues with Mendes!!!

This is all fan fiction, and we know the general quality of that.

Get real, guys.
    I really do not think Eon is having "trouble" with Cary Fukunaga. Nor is this "the messiest" Bond film production.

Sorry for lack of news as all threads seem to turn into criticism's of past directors/actors/ films.

+1
    Want to stay on track here fellas?

I am thinking fukanaga for Bond 26 with Hemsworth as Bond ....

One of us will be right
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

Mendes and Logan pretty much had a whole year (March 2013 to March 2014) to come up with the plot and an outline script. When BB finally called it in, they discovered the, erm, script, and alarm bells rang from there.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

You miss my point. EON seem to be having trouble with Fukanaga, they had issues with Boyle, they had issues with Mendes. They won’t be going down this route again in a hurry. I know the man’s filmography. You need to take the time to read posts properly rather than being so eager to be snarky. You seem to enjoy trying to provoke people, maybe you need to take some time away from the boards and watch some more movies.

Sounds someone is making up a point. Please, I’d love to see your sources.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Nothing points to any difficulties with Fukanaga; none of the recent bumps in the road are a result of his being at the helm. If anything, he, along with the second units , has continued to move forward in the face of adversity.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 6,665
    talos7 wrote: »
    Nothing points to any difficulties with Fukanaga; none of the recent bumps in the road are a result of his being at the helm. If anything, he, along with the second units , has continued to move forward in the face of adversity.

Exactamundo! :)