Last album you listened to?

Comments

@Birdleson Thanks! Led Zeppelin is one of my favorites :) I was curious - what are some of your favorite bands/artists?
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 12,249
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Plenty. Ive spent most of my life at concerts. Thousands. @BeatlesSansEarmuffs and I just saw Phil Lesh from The Grateful Dead last week. If I had to give you a sampling in some order:

The Grateful Dead (I've seen them 95 times, and then well over a hundred more as offshoots of the band)
    The Who (MY band growing up, around 10 times live, plus Pete and Roger solo)
    The Allman Brothers (about 30 times)
    Bob Dylan (about 35 times)
    The Band (twice)
    Miles Davis (once)
    John Coltrane (never sadly)
    Willie Nelson (around 30 times)
    The Rollings Stones (7th time is coming up in a few months)
    Steely Dan (twice)

It is endless, really; Hendrix, Mo-Town, Snoop Dogg (once), Big Band, Reggae, Punk...I love so much. But not too much from the past 20 years. A few scattered artists catch my attention (Lana Del Rey, a few more who are slipping my ming right now), but it's mainly a wasteland. Auto-tune, faux country and boy bands.

Nice list! Impressive to have seen The Grateful Dead that many times!!! I like a few modern bands here and there, but there's no question the vast majority of the best music is from decades ago now. I didn't really "grow up" with almost any of my favorite bands, and wish I could have experienced the greats when they were around, but I'm still grateful to experience the music now. Rock and all its subgenres is simply the greatest! My favorites include Rush, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Gorillaz, Shinedown, The Police, Pink Floyd, Guns N' Roses (Appetite through Illusion II), The Cars (just added!). There's still plenty out there I haven't gone into in-depth just yet, including some on your list I'll have to check out.

EDIT: Beyond the bands, some of my favorite singers I have to mention are Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, Phil Collins (seriously I have to explore more Genesis someday soon), Frank Sinatra, Johnny Mathis, George Michael, Michael Jackson, and David Bowie.
    Being on a Zeppelin kick lately, got to share another absolute favorite:

That may be their greatest. So hard to say.

I know right? So many great choices. I actually think Physical Graffiti would be my favorite album of theirs, just edging out the famous untitled fourth album. Frankly all of their first 6 are among rock’s greatest albums though.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    THE ESSENTIAL ELVIS
    FoxRox wrote: »

Pretty close to my favorite album of all time (top Five, I'm sure).

Of all the bands you listed earlier, The Who is likely my favorite of them. I haven’t dug deeply into them yet - which I have to - but have heard a fair amount of their songs. An excellent style to be sure.
    So far as studio albums, TOMMY, QUADROPHINA and WHO BY NUMBERS are also a must. I'd also add MEATY, BEATY, BIG AND BOUNCY (an early collection of singles), ODDS 'N' SODS (a superb '70s collection of unreleased outtakes) and LIVE AT LEEDS (the recording that first shows Daltrey's breakthrough, in his vocals, appearance and confidence; the prototypical "Rock God"). If you get into all of that and want more, I'd get the earlier studio albums and then start picking up the Townshend solo albums chronologically.

Sounds good! Thank you for the suggestions; I’ll look into these!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Incredible
    edited May 2019 Posts: 23,263

THE ALARM_STRENGTH
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    tmBaS3L.jpg
    THE ALARM_STRENGTH

I had a girlfriend in the late '80s that was really into them, so I ended up seeing them twice in Southern California (once opening for Dylan). Not a bad band (couldn't decide if they wanted to be The Clash or U2).

A bit of both. Their first album Declaration is their best imo.
    GANG GANG DANCE_GOD S MONEY
    THE TWILIGHT SAD_NOBODY WANTS TO BE HERE & NOBODY WANTS TO LEAVE
    The Teng Ensemble - Stories from an Island city

Among my all-time favorite PF songs - probably third behind Us and Them and Dogs. A one-of-a-kind musical journey.
    3766435.jpg

BAND OF SUSANS_THE WORD AND THE FLESH
    edited May 2019 Posts: 23,263

BARE EGIL BAND_JO!
    THE MISSION_BLUE

Started an Ozzy marathon with my pal. Though Blizzard of Ozz is the most popular album, I actually preferred the sophomore effort. Awesome stuff.
    WHISPERING SONS_ENDLESS PARTY
    NACHT UND NEBEL_CASABLANCA
    SECTION 25_ALWAYS NOW