Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

edited September 2021 in General Movies & TV Posts: 4,400
EfNriSgU4AA4bFV?format=jpg&name=large

So it appears Christopher Nolan's next film is an 'international espionage' tale. I though the speculation was that would be his next next film......I'm very excited by this project. Seems intriguing.

More intriguing is the fact that Hans Zimmer won't be available and Ludwig Goransson is scoring. I thought Goransson may be in the running for the Bond 25 gig. Considering how much Nolan hyped First Man, I suspected that Justin Hurwitz may have got the gig. Perhaps, he is on for Bond 25.

Anyway let's discuss Nolan's new spy movie!

Comments

I would prefer it's bond but interesting
    Johnson is a mostly very one note actor.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    M_Blaise wrote: »

His casting IMO is interesting-bad, but everything else about this project seems interesting-good.
    The movie event of 2020. I’m very excited.
    The movie event of 2020. I’m very excited.

Doesn't the next Bond movie come out in 2020?

...just kidding. I know what you mean. No need to elaborate ;)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2019 Posts: 4,416
    Sciencefiction Spy movie ?

Hoyte Van Hoytema (Spectre, Interstellar) wil be the dop. Famale editor this time and also good to see no Hans Zimmer. Hopes he wil try something new and around 130 minutes, but i see stil same production designer he working a lot with and again Michael Cain.

The imdb page said there film in Estonia, Italy and India.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I am like many a huge Nolan fan cant wait for this film, though I will be avoiding as much info on the movie as possible
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Will look forward to this, most intriguing.

A Nolan fan since Memento and only really disliked Interstellar of all his films, it's the only one I won't own, once in the cinema was enough for me.

Considering me most excited for this, almost as excited as I am for Bond 25.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

In preparation for Godzilla:KoM I re-watched Godzilla last night and just about every minute that he was on screen the film dropped in quality.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This is one must-see for me next year .Along with Bond, Black Widow and Fantastic Four my most anticipated film.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Quite frankly, I haven't seen a Nolan movie I really liked since Batman Begins (though I found TDK "okay"). I found Interstellar a pretentious you-know-what, and fail to appreciate the broad appeal that his movies seem to have. The one of his movies I probably like best was his first, Memento. But ever since he's rapidly been degenerating into a sort of second coming of James Cameron for me. I sure wouldn't want either of them to come near to, much less even helm a Bond movie.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Christopher Nolan has never made a bad film.
    Can't sit through a Nolan film myself, so I'll be skipping this one, even though I absolutely love espionage films.
    My favuorites of his are probably Memento and Inception, but I like them all. Except maybe Insomnia, but that was a remake.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Yeah, to each his own. Just thought I'd add I'm not part of the hype, or whatever it is. Even Hitchcock produced less than "stellar" films. I'll just wait what the general reaction about the next Nolan flick will be, and then maybe pick it up on Blu-ray when it goes below 10 euros. Like 2025.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    From FOLLOWING to DUNKIRK, I have yet to see a single Nolan film that didn't feel like it was made for me. I'll be seeing TENET opening day, I predict.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Tenet will be very much anticipated, it's only been Interstellar that has let me down and totally turned me cold when I saw it at the cinema.

I've not seen it since and have no desire to return, I don't love TDKR and would put that just above this, my favourite Nolan's are Memento & The Prestige.

I thought Dunkirk was a real return to form and can't wait for Tenet.

That being said I'm, not that bothered about Nolan approaching Bond like some and will have no problem with it if it happened but I think that boat sailed sometime ago.

Personally, I love The Prestige, Inception and Interstellar. The Prestige being one of my favourite films ever. The only film of CN I dislike is TDKR. Oh, I also love Insomnia. And Dunkirk was amazing. I'll be there opening day for Tenet, that's for sure.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Robert Pattinson, Aaron Johnson and Elizabeth Debicki in a film directed by Christopher Nolan. That man knows the way to my heart.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,834
    First Set Pics From Christopher Nolan’s Tenet Reveal Robert Pattinson
    tenet-1.jpg
    tenet-2.jpg
    tenet-3.jpg
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Looks like Robert Pattinson doing Nolan inpression on the last picure... and Action.. cut cut..
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Danny Boyle recently said Pattinson should be the next Bond. Watch this space?

Altho Pattinson seems to have gone more dark side weirdo roles recently.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Well Pattinson is Batman now so he'll never be 007 as much as I personally think it could've worked :)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    First teaser trailer for Tenet potentially coming later this week.
    First teaser trailer for Tenet potentially coming later this week.

Ooohh, I am intrigued.
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    If both Bond25 and Tenet trailer release this week there will be a lot of comparison between them.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Nolan's Movie doesn't drop until next July, but might get a trailer BEFORE Bond 25? Or in the same week?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2019 Posts: 15,686
    Nolan's Movie doesn't drop until next July, but might get a trailer BEFORE Bond 25? Or in the same week?

Both this week, if they are attached to Hobbs & Shaw.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

Which makes him perfect for Nolan.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Nolan is not working with Zimmer on this one because the latter is doing DUNE for Villeneuve.

At the risk of derailing this thread, I must admit I'm of two minds on DUNE. 1) Not a fan of DUNE, and while the Lynch film is "interesting" to say the least, the televised miniseries they made much later bored the life out of me. 2) But Villeneuve is my guy, so I'm intrigued at the same time. ;-)

Back on topic, it'll be interesting to hear what another composer brings to a Zimmer film. Kinda wish he'd brought back Julyan, though.