Game of Thrones (2011 - 19)

Comments

SaintMark wrote: »
    Remake Game of Thrones Season 8 with competent writers. petition...
    https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers

This won't make a jot of difference though it illustrates a growing number of disgruntled fans, 111 000 signitures last time I looked.

One should never listen to fans too much, so many opinions and views and only the ones making the show count. Don't like, do not watch it then.

Assuming you are a fan I will take your advice

As a fan I am always excited when the show goes different than expected, it sure can be frustrating as well but what is the fun having your way I would probably stop watching. I even love the Lady Doctor from the new Who series.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers

This won't make a jot of difference though it illustrates a growing number of disgruntled fans, 111 000 signitures last time I looked.

One should never listen to fans too much, so many opinions and views and only the ones making the show count. Don't like, do not watch it then.

As a fan I am always excited when the show goes different than expected, it sure can be frustrating as well but what is the fun having your way I would probably stop watching. I even love the Lady Doctor from the new Who series.

The outcome up to now I have no issue with which I stated several posts back, its the quality of writing and plot armour I have issue with.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

The outcome up to now I have no issue with which I stated several posts back, its the quality of writing and plot armour I have issue with.

I think what they tried to do in 3 episodes could have much bigger impact if it were in 3 seasons. Although it's conclusion would have been the same but execution could be far better.
    Season 8 - Night king (episode 3)
    Season 9 - King's Landing attack(episode-5)
    Season 10 - Mad Queen reign (episode 6)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2019 Posts: 23,102

I think what they tried to do in 3 episodes could have much bigger impact if it were in 3 seasons. Although it's conclusion would have been the same but execution could be far better.
    Season 8 - Night king (episode 3)
    Season 9 - King's Landing attack(episode-5)
    Season 10 - Mad Queen reign (episode 6)

I agree I watched The Long Night again and it occurred to me after that this event could have taken up a whole season at least, and what an incredibly dark and intense season it could have been. Unfortunately we got one episode to deal with seven seasons of great build up, which is not good enough and I think when people rewatch this episode more and more the holes and stupid writing will become more glaringly obvious. (The Long Night should have be renamed The Shortest Night, so much for the Long Night lasting a generation, several weeks I would have settled for)
    Ow people seriously?!

We got a battle on tv that lasted 1hr 33mins non stop !!

When has that ever happened before ?
    It was awesome!!!
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Ow people seriously?!

We got a battle on tv that lasted 1hr 33mins non stop !!

When has that ever happened before ?
    It was awesome!!!

Bigger battle or production budget doesn't guarantee better quality, if that's the way SP is the best bond film of the series, it lies in the execution. I am not saying it wasn't good it was fantastic but this show has been known to build the anticipation slowly from Season 1-6. I wanted to see more about Night king, white walker children of the first men and so much more north. Take every penultimate episode- Ned's execution, battle of blackwater, Red wedding,Attack at wall, Dance of dragons or battle of the bastard for example, they build that hype from 1st episode till 9th. That's is why it had much bigger impact. Although I am looking forward to last episode.
    Just watched episode 5 I recorded n wow ,talk about a twist !!!!!!!
    I will say no more ,I’m off on holiday on Wednesday so as usual I’m recording the Monday 2am slot for episode 6 as that’s the time America gets it .
    I HAVE to watch the final episode before I go !!!!

I’m going to miss GOT so much !!!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The series has definitely begun to favor explosive action sequences and a massive budget over the tight writing and political scheming, but it is what it is. I guess there's only so much they can do when they don't have any more source material to work off of and can't take dialogue from the books, something GRRM is very good at. Season could be a lot worse, that's for sure. I've been enjoying it.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Watching this very controversial episode tonight.

My god looking at the internet it seems Benioff and Weiss went and used some peoples gardens as a toilet.

I really hate SPECTRE but I'm not demanding it's remade, yes @peter and myself are working on a new version of Bond 24 but we aren't looking for it to go into production.

I will never failed to be amazed by the entitled cry babies that roam the world wide web.

Like @Creasy47 says the show has been favouring more explosive action sequences over tight writing and political scheming but that is where it is.

I think it's popularity has been much the influencer here, it has got more viewing figures as it went on, it's not the show I started watching and I'm fine with that.

I'll let you know if I've seen Benioff and Weiss in my back garden when I've seen it.
    @Shardlake, excellent point regarding the popularity. I've thought the same. It's much different now and I wish the series had maintained the same level of consistency and pacing, but I'm fine with what's gone down. It's good enough and offered up plenty of twists and surprises and solid moments.
    The hard cuts in The Long Night were over used, so many times our favorite character's were mauled by several lethal enemy's then a random good character killed one and the other assailant's completely vanished, this happened time and time again in that episode. I said before I was on the edge of my seat to begin with then the episode completely fell apart, great spectacle yes, execution amateurish.

Any plausability and genuine threat completely evaporated in the third episode, the show well and truly jumped the shark even more so than season 7.

The hard cuts in The Long Night were over used, so many times our favorite character's were mauled by several lethal enemy's then a random good character killed one and the other assailant's completely vanished, this happened time and time again in that episode. I said before I was on the edge of my seat to begin with then the episode completely fell apart, great spectacle yes, execution amateurish.

I did lose count of how many times Sam was crying, on the ground, surrounded by White Walkers, only to escape unscathed.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I did lose count of how many times Sam was crying, on the ground, surrounded by White Walkers, only to escape unscathed.
    I added an extra paragraph to last comment I made. I love the show and I know we all do, I am disspointed. I did rewatch the latest episode today and it is insane what a certain character does, Jon Snow though really does know nothing he has become totally pointless and slow to react, maybe that will change in the last episode.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I've not seen Benioff or Weiss yet in my back garden looking to leave a deposit.

For me Game of Thrones stopped getting near the greatness of The Wire & Sopranos seasons ago, the Godfather like intrigue that I enjoyed from the books and then the series evaporated away.

I came to realise this a while back and I have to say that this episode, was thrilling, epic and shocking sometimes in the same frame.
    Probably the most extreme culling of cast members in one episode.

We'll see how it all pans out on Sunday or Monday here in the UK.
    Well it is what it is, all in all I am satisfied that this season is better than the last one.
    I don't know what my opinion will be by the end of this finale, though the first 20 minutes was absolutely chilling with amazing imagery. I did not like how we got here though now we are here,
    Emilia Clarke
    is knocking it out of the park. Time to press play again, it is sad that after this no more episodes.
    Oh my lord talk about falling of a cliff after a great start... Can I be King, can I be King.

I was swearing at my TV ~X(
    Its a mad twist,one I NEVER saw coming I must admit.
    Hats off to them,that caught me on the hop and I was sitting there open-mouthed !!
    I am surprised they did not draw straws to
    choose the king, that council meeting was like watching The Phantom Menace
    The ending with Jon Snow I found really emotional. It was such a beautiful end to a character who could have had the world but both didn't want it and was denied it at the same time.
    GOT will have a legacy far beyond this year. It has revolutionised how people make TV shows, and it will be discussed by many people for years to come, despite all its flaws.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    All I have to say is that it was bad. Very bad, and I usually try to give the show a chance but they really ruined it.
    Yeah, that was an awful, awful way to conclude the series. What a shame.
    So is the King/Queen basically...
    Darth Bran Sidious
    mihiyM.gif

X97YLBl.jpg
    It was so jarring how:
    In a few episodes, he goes from "I'm not Bran, I'm the Three-Eyed Raven. I could never be the King of Winterfell" to "Just kidding, I am Bran, why do you think I came all this way? I want to be King of Westeros."
    edited May 2019 Posts: 2,541
    So basically, bran
    is a male gold digger who refused to be King in the north so he can become king of 6 kingdoms
    :))

Still, kudos to team who worked so hard for this season for our entertainment except the writers.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It was so jarring how:
    In a few episodes, he goes from "I'm not Bran, I'm the Three-Eyed Raven. I could never be the King of Winterfell" to "Just kidding, I am Bran, why do you think I came all this way? I want to be King of Westeros."
    Bran says a few suspect things near the end of the finale, for example 'You were where you were supposed to be' to Jon, and Bran went to Kings landing knowing he would be King. Also he suggest that he can find Drogon, perhaps Bran could find Drogon at anytime. Bran is basically Big Brother as he can see everything, a King with that power is dangerous and that aint freedom for the people. If it was not for Bran Jon's secret would have been kept, and Dany and Jon may not have become divided
    Whoops well I liked the finale. Perfect? No way. But I think it concluded in a satisfactory way. Can't please everyone, for sure. It was a great journey, the first four seasons being some of the best tv of all time.
    Starks rule the world
    Very dissapointing season and finale.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 3,333
    Again, I can understand why fans of the show are disappointed, even underwhelmed.
    John Snow's arc was always destined to be a Negative Change Arc, whereby he ends in a worse place than that in which he started. If you wanted a happy ending, you were watching the wrong show.
    I've said it before, but it'll be interesting to see which direction George R. R. Martin's The Winds of Winter will take. Alas, too late for this television adaption, but it'll get remade one day with a new cast and Martin's intended ending, that I'm sure.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Again, I can understand why fans of the show are disappointed, even underwhelmed.
    John Snow's arc was always destined to be a Negative Change Arc, whereby he ends in a worse place than that in which he started. If you wanted a happy ending, you were watching the wrong show.
    I've said it before, but it'll be interesting to see which direction George R. R. Martin's The Winds of Winter will take. Alas, too late for this television adaption, but it'll get remade one day with a new cast and Martin's intended ending, that I'm sure.

Apparently George R.R. Martin has already written the next two books and the show isn't too far off what Martin intended. He said this in an interview somewhere, but there may be some minor differences, but for the major characters the show should align with what Martin wanted anyway.