The Eurovision Song Contest Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I think I watched it last year when at work or maybe the year before, the voting system I recall made no sense

They've changed things I believe. Audience votes from each country, as well as jury votes - all of which they add in a new way (if I remember correctly).

Yeah the judges votes were pretty much squashed by the larger audience vote, the Judges votes seemed pointless
    I think I watched it last year when at work or maybe the year before, the voting system I recall made no sense

They've changed things I believe. Audience votes from each country, as well as jury votes - all of which they add in a new way (if I remember correctly).

Yeah the judges votes were pretty much squashed by the larger audience vote, the Judges votes seemed pointless

Prefer the way they used to do it, but like every annual tv show event, they need to change things up a bit. They'll probably find another way to present the votes in the future.
  • MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    edited May 2019 Posts: 98
    Red_Snow wrote: »

The first year the Australian public has been given a choice of ten different songs, and this is what we choice. Definitely wasn't the best.

I like this entry! The final staging is awesome, and the tune reminds me a bit of Eric Serra's "Diva Dance" from "The Fifth Element"
    Definitely ...a good choice 👍 (and I've watched the recap of "Australia decides")

My top 5
    Albania / Jonida Maliqi - Ktheju Tokës
    Australia / Kate Miller-Heidke - Zero Gravity
    The Netherlands / Duncan Laurence - Arcade
    Slovenia / Zala Kralj & Gašper Šantl - Sebi
    Switzerland / Luca Hänni - She Got Me
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I have taken the liberty to update the title of the thread. :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Halfway watching and listening while doing other stuff. Slovenia is getting my vote.
    Iceland was pretty cool, but after the whole show, Slovenia are my favourites by far.
    Most of the songs are quite forgettable this year. Italy for me perhaps.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Yes. FINALY. :-O
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Yes. FINALY. :-O

Congratulations!
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    We won. The best song won, honestly. After 44 years :)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I fell asleep so missed the competition (I use the word competition loosely), I see the UK came last what a surprise
    Yes, congratulations to The Netherlands, quite boring and forgettable for me personally. I remember the last time they won, with a much more catchy song.

Congratulations to Sweden, too, for winning the jury votes-and to Norway for winning the popular votes.
    I hear we came last? Gotta love Brexit!!!! Lol! =))
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Not sure it had to do with Brexit the song was just bloody awful and not for the last time in recent years.

As popular as ever ,another example of us not being European,we don’t think the same way.......and we are not liked.....story of our lives in this great little island of ours.
    Had to listen to the winning song out of curiosity. I expected it to be quite bland and forgettable... just not this bland and forgettable! Wow! That thing actually won? I dread to imagine what the rest of the show must have been like...

Well, bland and forgettable perhaps beats last year´s winner at least, which was outright unpleasant to listen to...
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2019 Posts: 4,415
    Nederlandse-punten.jpg
    The Points the Dutch public gives without the 12 points. The 12 points go to Sweden.

If i must give points:

12 Sweden. Les then Thursday, but stil a great act/song.
    10 North Macedonia. Better then Thursday, Thaught she whas possible winner when i see the act. Atleast 3th or 5th place and switched with Australia.
    08. Australia. Get the idea the end whas les good then Thuesday.
    07. Malta. Get idea the beginning go faster then Thuesday, if not i mabey have given the 8 points to them.
    06. Slovenia. Funny enough the guy smiling this time more then Tuesday and there whas a litle kiss. This made a bit of difrent understanding of the song. Lovely girl.
    05. Norway
    04. Serbia
    03. Cyprus. Better Madonna act then Madonna her self.
    02. Denmark
    01. Germany.

My expections of the top 7 before the show:

1. San Marino or Sweden
    2. Sweden or San Marino
    3. Australie. But after disapointed ending, i expect 5th.
    4. The Netherlands
    5. Macedonia
    6. Malta or Czech
    7. Czech or Malta

So much factors what made it winner or better act then if other country have done same thing. Slovenia is good example of that. Whyle i think The Netherlands also can have done act like Sweden did, i think if there did i les have liked it. Russian act whas to much or what there did earlier, the later act doing Sweden animated act i liked more. Also the Elton John look a like doing the chicken song whas very funny.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    We might have got 0 points, but at least we weren't Madonna level bad.

35f74e09b1b1f64335e11999e730cbd4.jpg
    barryt007 wrote: »

As popular as ever ,another example of us not being European,we don’t think the same way.......and we are not liked.....story of our lives in this great little island of ours.

I have not lost any sleep at all over this years result as far as the UK is concerned! :))
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 17,241

That was no doubt the worst thing about the show. The competing songs (and performances) were much, much better.

That was no doubt the worst thing about the show. The competing songs (and performances) were much, much better.

Madonna was at the show? What?
    jobo wrote: »

Promoting her new album or song I think.

She looked like shit and her song and performance was as bad.
    She needs to retire.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »

Promoting her new album or song I think.

She looked like shit and her song and performance was as bad.
    She needs to retire.

Hasn't she always looked shit, and hasn't her songs always been bad? ;) I am so glad I missed that...
    Her live performance was probably some of the worst I've seen in years. And to think they paid millions for this…
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    If they're going to promote international acts at Eurovision, can they at least look beyond America and showcase some of the amazing talent from around the world that don't have the same opportunities to perform in front of large audiences.

Both Justin Timberlake and Madonna have done the super bowl half time show, their respective Eurovision appearances should have been a piece of cake in comparison, yet both botched them.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    If they're going to promote international acts at Eurovision, can they at least look beyond America and showcase some of the amazing talent from around the world that don't have the same opportunities to perform in front of large audiences.

Both Justin Timberlake and Madonna have done the super bowl half time show, their respective Eurovision appearances should have been a piece of cake in comparison, yet both botched them.

Good point. They could also just go back to what they've done before; let artists from the host nation do the break show.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Pierce Brosnan joins the the Netflix comedy Eurovision, alongside Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams.

https://hnentertainment.co/exclusive-james-bond-actor-pierce-brosnan-joins-netflix-comedy-eurovision-starring-will-farrell-and-rachel-mcadams/
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    If the idea is to poke fun at this "festival", I'm in. :)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    If the idea is to poke fun at this "festival", I'm in. :)

Hard to imagine how it could not be?
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    edited September 2019 Posts: 431
    It's interesting, a Eurovision topic in a British forum. If I can be honest, regardless what you personally think of a song: winning is winning. If Europe emotionally connects with a song, then you can do well in the contest.

Hence I am saddened how much the late Terry Wogan and later the BBC themselves don't take the contest a bit more serious. First point the finger at your own misfortunes first, before complaining at a winning song, or for that matter the entry that won a silver or bronze medal.

Also, not much has changed actually in the past 64 years. The British were good with ridiculous cheesy entries (1981: Bucks Fizz). But when an Israel does something similar translated to the 2010's, then it's suddenly bad. When Ireland wins with exquisit ballads (1981: What's Another Year; 1994: Rock 'N Roll Kids), then don't complain that The Netherlands take over that recipe and become 2nd in 2014 and 1st in 2019.

What the UK needs to do? Invest! Creatively and financially. Because I tell you this. The day the UK wins Eurovision for a 6th time, they will fully embrace Eurovision again. See you next year in Rotterdam, and for f*** sake...…...WIN!! ;-)

PS: A list of my favourite TOP 3 placements from this decade:

01. The Netherlands 2014: Wonderful Americana/Country revival and exquisitly performed.
    02. Ukraine 2016: A gutsy, historically correct, Kate Bush-ian indie performance.
    03. Germany 2010: No gimmicks, just a happy bouncy girl with a Lily Allen-esque song.
    04. The Netherlands 2019: I had a Chris Martin-vibe, very emotionally performed. Like!
    05. Portugal 2017: Lovely cinematic little song, could very well be from an Italian film.
    06. Austria 2014: It won in 2014, and the first time a rousing Bond-ballad wins.
    07. Sweden 2015: Great winner, bit David Guetta-esque, but unforgettable pop song.
    08. Russia 2015: Perhaps the best traditional Eurovision ballad from recent years.
    09. Italy 2011: Their first entry since 1997, but wonderful cinematic quality, very jazzy.
    10. Austria 2018: Quite a surprise it won bronze, but this gospel-ish R&B thing deserved it.

So now the big question. What has the UK on offer so it can actually belong in that above TOP 10?

ZEcBVmb.png