RIP- John Barry!!

edited January 2012 in Music Posts: 278
12months ago today John Barry passed away!!!
So RIP John, thanks for the memoirs and all your wonderful music!!!
^:)^

Comments

Ill second that, the man was a genius.
    MrEon wrote:
    12months ago today John Barry passed away!!!
    So RIP John, thanks for the memoirs and all your wonderful music!!!
    ^:)^

You put it so well my friend! I third that! RIP John Barry! =D>
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    From 007.com:
    007com wrote:
    JOHN BARRY REMEMBERED
    HOW A SCHOLARSHIP CONTINUES HIS GREAT WORK

Last summer, to a packed Royal Albert Hall, The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra performed an emotional memorial tribute to five-time Oscar winning composer, John Barry, all under the watchful eye of renowned conductor and RCM alumnus Nicholas Dodd. The strategy was twofold: celebrate the work and life of a great man who had provided the score for no less than one hundred and twenty five films (twelve of them Bond films), and use the proceeds to establish The John Barry Scholarship for Film Composition at the Royal College of Music.

The Composition for Screen masters course is a two year programme, and a popular one at that. “We will get around fifty to eighty applications per course,” explains Area Leader in Composition for Screen, Vasco Hexel. The applicants are eventually whittled down to just ten. Of those ten, just three are chosen to go before the scholarship panel (which includes John’s wife Laurie Barry and Barbara Broccoli) until eventually one final candidate emerges. The course attracts some of the most talented young film composers from around the world, many of whom have gone on to score major films in Hollywood and Europe.

“It’s the first time we have had a dedicated scholarship for the course” adds Hexel, “and it covers all costs, including living expenses, which is rare, and counts even if you are a student from outside the EU.”

For further details on the Masters Programme in Composition for Screen At the Royal College of Music, visit www.rcm.ac.uk/screen

If you would like to make a donation to the John Barry Scholarship for Film Composition, please contact Nicholas Selman, Development Manager (Scholarships & Academic Awards) at the Royal College of Music: +44 (0)20 7591 4320 or [email protected]
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Hard to believe it's been a year. Time goes by so quickly. RIP Mr. Barry.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    He was the master, the man with the Midas touch.

And I miss him.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I hope musical experts have gone through the unreleased composition of John Barry..... I truly hope that in his spare time Barry composed some music for Bond films since 1995... unreleased music, some stroke of genius I'd love to hear.
  • It still breaks my heart. My favorite all-time guitarist Gary Moore also passed away last year. 2011 was the worst year ever for me on many levels.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I hope musical experts have gone through the unreleased composition of John Barry..... I truly hope that in his spare time Barry composed some music for Bond films since 1995... unreleased music, some stroke of genius I'd love to hear.

We hope the same hope, DC, my friend.
    DarthDimi wrote:

We hope the same hope, DC, my friend.

I think you will find that the Great Man would of been Composing just about anything other than "Spare Time Bond Music"!!
    John had a very regimented daily routine when at home in Oyster Bay, and his passion of the last 14yrs or so was to compose for literary rather than for film!! He of course still Scored the odd movie, but it no longer interested him to write for film any more!! He felt he had nothing else to give or prove so why bother to please all these people who wanted him to write a score like "Bond" or "Out Of Africa" for there inferior films!? This happened on "The Incredibles" when John was all geared up to Score the picture and Brad Bird/Pixar were all excited at having John Barry doing the project. John had been busy prepping and writing some really great stuff only for Bird/pixar to temp the whole film with old Bond music, which really pissed John off!! John had a bit of a show down with Bird about exactly what he really wanted, for Bird to come clean and say I want OHMSS Mk2 with a bit of GF.... John took a long breath and replied in his deep baritone voice Go F**k Yourselves then- I look forward not back!!! And that was that, Pixar under the very tight agreement kept the score John had started and in came up start Micheal Giacchino to score the film, and do a Barry pastiche like no other!! Shame because John's score would of been a real classic I'm sure and a better send off than say "Enigma"!?
    There is One more album of all New Compositions following on from the massively successful "The Beyondness Of Things & Eternal Echoes", which is due to be released at some point soon!?
    I think the most we can hope for as far as Bond Music is concerned is Previous unreleased Music from the scores we already know and love!! x.
    Fascinating read, Mr Eon. You might be interested in a new book coming out titled Rejected Film Scores, a Selected History.

http://www.silmanjamespress.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3480
    bondsum wrote:
    Fascinating read, Mr Eon. You might be interested in a new book coming out titled Rejected Film Scores, a Selected History.

http://www.silmanjamespress.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3480

Thanks "bondsum", and yes I've seen this book advertised and will no doubt acquire a copy! :-B