No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Fleabag is her dark side and psychotic assassin in Killing Eve... Phoebe Waller-Bridge on the shows that have made her name – and how she's going to spice up Bond
    https://dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7001777/Phoebe-Waller-Bridge-shows-shes-going-spice-Bond.html

Today, when we meet in LA, she's thinking about Bond.

Or rather, she's trying not to think about it too much because that way madness lies.

'It's amazing to be part of something that has such a history and that you know will reach so many people.

'But I can't think about that too much because I just go, "Whoa!"

So when I start to do that, I stop myself and zone back into the writing, thinking of the characters as just people who are going to say things, like in any script.

'But, yes, it is exciting too!'

[...] Daniel discussed ways to improve the Bond script with her, and apparently he liked what the off-beat comedian had to say about it, because last month it was announced she'd been hired to polish the script with her trademark 'wit and quirkiness'.

'Although it's a proper collaboration,' she adds hastily.

'We have a script and we're continuing to work on it, all of us floating ideas around and creating characters together.

'I love the character of Bond. I love that he exists in a grey area, in that he does terrible things and yet he does them for the right reasons.

Nowadays we have questions about patriotism – is it worth all of this that Bond does, is it worth taking a life? I think these are very pertinent questions these days.'

Ask her what it's like to be only the second female Bond writer ever (the first was Johanna Harwood, who worked on Dr No and From Russia With Love) and she shrugs.

'I'm delighted to be part of it. The franchise is headed by a woman, Barbara Broccoli, and certainly during Daniel's tenure there have been some amazing female characters.

'I hope to continue that and bring in whatever spice I can to it.'

She carefully doesn't add that it undoubtedly attracted Daniel when considering her that of all five writers currently credited on the project – the others being Bond veterans Neal Purvis and Robert Wade, Scott Z Burns, and director Fukunaga – she is not just the only woman writer, but the only writer who's also an actor.

But it becomes plain from talking to her that this is something that's very much on her mind.

'You've got to make sure the actors have something fun to work with,' she says firmly.

'I don't mean fun as in, "Woo-hoo!" But I do find, from an actor's point of view, that playing something that shows a twist, or a surprise, or something about a character that people didn't expect to see, is something that really grounds me in my character.

'One thing I'm doing here is making sure there's an authenticity to these characters so that the actors have something solid they can hold onto.'

Can't argue too much against that. PWB is a great asset and she definitely understands character. Very glad to have her.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 4,400
    Fleabag is her dark side and psychotic assassin in Killing Eve... Phoebe Waller-Bridge on the shows that have made her name – and how she's going to spice up Bond
    https://dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7001777/Phoebe-Waller-Bridge-shows-shes-going-spice-Bond.html

Or rather, she's trying not to think about it too much because that way madness lies.

'It's amazing to be part of something that has such a history and that you know will reach so many people.

So when I start to do that, I stop myself and zone back into the writing, thinking of the characters as just people who are going to say things, like in any script.

[...] Daniel discussed ways to improve the Bond script with her, and apparently he liked what the off-beat comedian had to say about it, because last month it was announced she'd been hired to polish the script with her trademark 'wit and quirkiness'.

'We have a script and we're continuing to work on it, all of us floating ideas around and creating characters together.

'I love the character of Bond. I love that he exists in a grey area, in that he does terrible things and yet he does them for the right reasons.

Nowadays we have questions about patriotism – is it worth all of this that Bond does, is it worth taking a life? I think these are very pertinent questions these days.'

Ask her what it's like to be only the second female Bond writer ever (the first was Johanna Harwood, who worked on Dr No and From Russia With Love) and she shrugs.

'I'm delighted to be part of it. The franchise is headed by a woman, Barbara Broccoli, and certainly during Daniel's tenure there have been some amazing female characters.

She carefully doesn't add that it undoubtedly attracted Daniel when considering her that of all five writers currently credited on the project – the others being Bond veterans Neal Purvis and Robert Wade, Scott Z Burns, and director Fukunaga – she is not just the only woman writer, but the only writer who's also an actor.

But it becomes plain from talking to her that this is something that's very much on her mind.

'You've got to make sure the actors have something fun to work with,' she says firmly.

'I don't mean fun as in, "Woo-hoo!" But I do find, from an actor's point of view, that playing something that shows a twist, or a surprise, or something about a character that people didn't expect to see, is something that really grounds me in my character.

'One thing I'm doing here is making sure there's an authenticity to these characters so that the actors have something solid they can hold onto.'

YES!

Whatever disaray is being reported about the script, I think the fact that such talents as Fukunaga and Phoebe Waller-Bridge are working on the project, is enough to excite me.

The franchise needs younger, edgy and (importantly) British blood in the writing team. PWB is exactly what the series needs.

I just finished the second series of Fleabag (though I'll admit I found the first more raucous and mischievous) it's clear she understands people and wants to project authenticity. Some of the Bond dialogue can be tin-earred at the best of times, this hopefully won't be the case with PWB.

Hopefully, PWB becomes Eon's new writer and replaces Purvis and Wade. She's the heir apparent and long may she reign.

phoebe-waller-bridge-attends-fleabag-opening-night-party-at-news-photo-1134398777-1555295866.jpg?crop=0.670xw:1.00xh;0.136xw,0&resize=480:*
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge Cary Fukunaga and Scott Z Burns needs to be the new writing team for the franchise, Purvis and Wade have to go since they can never write a proper script by themselves.
    As I said before, it's great that the script is being 'rescued' by these hands as opposed to P&W. For all we know, they could pull off what McQuarrie did on Mission and make a fantastic movie out of it. That in the 4 year gap all P&W could come up is an apparent clonker is unfortunate and concerning but again, couldn't be in better hands right now.
    antovolk wrote: »
    As I said before, it's great that the script is being 'rescued' by these hands as opposed to P&W. For all we know, they could pull off what McQuarrie did on Mission and make a fantastic movie out of it. That in the 4 year gap all P&W could come up is an apparent clonker is unfortunate and concerning but again, couldn't be in better hands right now.

No telling for sure if the result will be good or bad, but I certainly feel a lot better with proven writers like Burns and Waller-Bridge on board rather than only P&W.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Rory Kinnear on the script:

Norton: When you make a Bond film, how much of the script are you given, and will you be filming at Pinewood for Bond 25?
    Kinnear: We are allowed the whole script, yes.
    Norton: Really!?
    Kinnear: Like adults, we’re allowed to read the whole thing. And we do our three to four pages within it.
    Norton: Do you know anything about it, are you going on fabulous locations this time or are you just sat in set?
    Kinnear: Well I think Pinewood is a fabulous enough location. It’s a beautiful part of England. And you can create any universe you want in those studios.

(https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000541j)
    antovolk wrote: »

It all feels very fresh and hopefully that feeling is reflected onscreen. I look forward to the film having a very sharp bite.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What category of fan they are is not for me to say (nor do I know), but I can say for a fact that I still see it bring up the wrist slashing comment online (not this forum).

Let me guess: In the commentary field of the online news sites who themselves constantly bring it up?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Casual fans just go and see the latest Bond films. And enjoy them.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Well put. Very tidy.
    peter wrote: »

Well put. Very tidy.

It is that simple.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2019 Posts: 13,882
    What category of fan they are is not for me to say (nor do I know), but I can say for a fact that I still see it bring up the wrist slashing comment online (not this forum).

Let me guess: In the commentary field of the online news sites who themselves constantly bring it up?

Sometimes, yes. It has still left a bad taste in some peoples mouths. But as I said, it isn't for me to grade their level of Bond fandom.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »

Well put. Very tidy.

It is that simple.

Absolutely.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited May 2019 Posts: 1,165

Sometimes, yes. It has still left a bad taste in some peoples mouths. But as I said, it isn't for me to grade their level of Bond fandom.

I'm curious where you draw the line between hardcore and casual fan. My co-workers who enjoy Bond casually haven't a clue what goes on during production besides wondering when it'll be announced if Idris Elba will officially be the next Bond or not.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Daniel Craig has been spotted (very candid paparazzi pictures, by the way) with RW and their daughter in New York today.

I guess he's making a short stop before travelling to London?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Minion wrote: »

I'm curious where you draw the line between hardcore and casual fan. My co-workers who enjoy Bond casually haven't a clue what goes on during production besides wondering when it'll be announced if Idris Elba will officially be the next Bond or not.

No no no no, it isn't my place to draw that line. I've seen enough people pull the "real fans...' card. If someone says they are a fan, be it hardcore or casual, so be it.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited May 2019 Posts: 3,126
    I have confidence in Cary he seems like he knows what he is doing and wants to bring out the best talent and put effort into things. He should be the next Mark Campbell.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2019 Posts: 4,415
    Costume Designer Colleen Morris On Working On The Period Musical Film ‘Bolden’
    https://blackfilm.com/read/2019/05/costume-designer-colleen-morris-on-working-on-the-period-musical-film-bolden/

NG: Anything new in the works for you?

CM: Yes. I’m going to be working on the new ‘James Bond’ movie. As you do know, I’m a Jamaican. Ian Fleming wrote all of those books in Jamaica. I’ve been to GoldenEye and touched his desk. I love ‘Bond’. It will be an exciting time.

So is she going to work with suttarit lalarb? Can't imagine they would replace a costume designer this late in production.

She is very new lead designer with movies. She has assistent or set dresser credits, mabey Lashana Lynch dress. It can be a possible she wil do the black famale cast members on the set of Jamaica. She is a black English born with Jamaicin parents.

So far so good. Let's hope in the furture we can say Mexico City whas a nice preview in Spectre, but what there did with Bond 25.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I have confidence in Cary he seems like he knows what he is doing and wants to bring out the best talent and put effort into things. He should be the next Mark Campbell.

Me too, not me being the next Campbell, but in agreement with you. I think Cary is loving this project and the resulting film will reflect that.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Some life long fans do that as well ;)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    On that count I'm happy to be a casual life long Bond fan.
    Japanese interview with Broccoli and Wilson. Script is discussed a bit. Based on the translation I read, it appears to say there were struggles for a time but the story has twists and surprises. There's also a minor spoiler involving Q.

https://www.cinematoday.jp/news/N0108545
    Japanese interview with Broccoli and Wilson. Script is discussed a bit. Based on the translation I read, it appears to say there were struggles for a time but the story has twists and surprises. There's also a minor spoiler involving Q.

Good find! Hopefully someone can give us a full translation.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 11,425

YES!

Whatever disaray is being reported about the script, I think the fact that such talents as Fukunaga and Phoebe Waller-Bridge are working on the project, is enough to excite me.

The franchise needs younger, edgy and (importantly) British blood in the writing team. PWB is exactly what the series needs.

I just finished the second series of Fleabag (though I'll admit I found the first more raucous and mischievous) it's clear she understands people and wants to project authenticity. Some of the Bond dialogue can be tin-earred at the best of times, this hopefully won't be the case with PWB.

Hopefully, PWB becomes Eon's new writer and replaces Purvis and Wade. She's the heir apparent and long may she reign.

phoebe-waller-bridge-attends-fleabag-opening-night-party-at-news-photo-1134398777-1555295866.jpg?crop=0.670xw:1.00xh;0.136xw,0&resize=480:*

Totally agree they need fresh new writing talent. Purvis and Wade have been turning out boring stories and rancid dialogue for too long.

Hopefully B25 is a success. Would be interesting to see what PWB came up with left her own devices.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2019 Posts: 23,102
    acidie wrote: »

Many of the bonds and bonds of Bond and Q in "007" new work!
    May 12, 2019 8:15

Barbara Broccoli & Michael G. Wilson , producers of the  movie " 007 " series, will be interviewed in a telephone interview, with James Bond ( Daniel Craig ) and Q ( Ben ) in their 25th series (to be released in Japan in 2020 ) ・ It was revealed that there were a lot of links with Wishaw .
    We develop specially equipped cars and spy tools, and support bonds with computer & technology Q. In the previous work " 007 Specter, " Q also jumped out of his field of a lab in London, and he made great strides such as heading to Austria on a plane that should not be good! Ben plays Q. Humor brings to the serious Daniel series Bond series and has become an integral part of the work.

"Thankfully Ben Wishaw has come back to this film too!" Said Barbara, who was delighted to follow Ben's second pitch, said, "Q is the best part of this film, with Bond. There is a lot of involvement, "he said. "This work has a scene of Q and a cat," he continued, saying that the Q love cats whose existence was revealed in the previous work will also appear.

Daniel sometimes suggested to graduate from the series, but Barbara told me that in the 25th episode I finally played Bond again, "Daniel is a really great bond, so to make him come back to me "I did that," smiled and looked back. The question is whether this work is produced as a complete series of the Daniel edition Bond series, "Because what Daniel has played is the bond played over the past 4 works, it may be true to some extent. But, a new story." It seems like a standing position of a single independent film.

Participation of writers of what people have been reported, but the " 007 / Casino Royale ," " 007 / Quantum of Solace ," " Skyfall ", "Specter" and worked on Daniel version bond Zensaku Neal Purvis & Robert・ Wade wrote first, and it seems that coach Carrie Fukunaga, who is also a scriptwriter, was added there. Barbara said, "And Carrie pulled in Scott Z. Burns (" Bourn's Arteitam ") and then we brought in Phoebe Waller-Bridge (" Fleabag Freebag "actress and screenwriter)" The

The interview was held three days later when shooting started (April 25), but the screenplay was said to be on an ongoing basis. Michael said, "I have struggled for a while, but at this stage I have found a good story. There are a lot of twists and surprises. With Bond's house, we actually built his house, where he is sailing and relaxing away from work, but those days of peace don't last long. It was said. (Editorial department, Haruka Ichikawa)

The 25th movie "007" will be released in Japan in 2020

In case some people's devices can't translate the text

Let's not get over-excited--she was brought in to polish dialogue, not give the script a major rewrite.
    Purvis and Wade have to go since they can never write a proper script by themselves.

How many Bond films have been scripted by just one person?
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    On that count I'm happy to be a casual life long Bond fan.
    I was that way during the TD and PB era. I was (and am) a Connery fan. Only since Daniel Craig took over my Bond enthusiasm soared to current heights, of course also due to the Internet and forums like this where so many other fans discuss way more details than at least in my group of friends or colleagues I would ever do. I doubt anybody knows who was Connery‘s tailor, whom I am talking about dropping names like Richard Maibaum or Bernard Lee 😁
    Revelator wrote: »

Let's not get over-excited--she was brought in to polish dialogue, not give the script a major rewrite.
    Purvis and Wade have to go since they can never write a proper script by themselves.

Bond films scripted by one person:

YOLT - Roald Dahl (but with additional story material by Harold Jack Bloom)
    OHMSS - Richard Maibaum (but with some additional dialogue by Simon Raven)
    Live and Let Die - Tom Mankiewicz
    Moonraker - Christopher Wood (although Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais did some uncredited work on it)
    Tomorrow Never Dies - Bruce Feirstein (with a few other writers uncredited)

It's more usual for writing in films to be a collaborative effort, some screenwriters only ever do rewrites of other people's scripts. It's quite usual for some people to go uncredited too - on TWINE Michael Apted's wife also did some uncredited writing - she was brought in to do pretty much the same job as PWB on Bond 25 - improve the female characterisations.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Revelator wrote: »

DAD. One person on LSD.
    acidie wrote: »

Many of the bonds and bonds of Bond and Q in "007" new work!
    May 12, 2019 8:15

Barbara Broccoli & Michael G. Wilson , producers of the  movie " 007 " series, will be interviewed in a telephone interview, with James Bond ( Daniel Craig ) and Q ( Ben ) in their 25th series (to be released in Japan in 2020 ) ・ It was revealed that there were a lot of links with Wishaw .
    We develop specially equipped cars and spy tools, and support bonds with computer & technology Q. In the previous work " 007 Specter, " Q also jumped out of his field of a lab in London, and he made great strides such as heading to Austria on a plane that should not be good! Ben plays Q. Humor brings to the serious Daniel series Bond series and has become an integral part of the work.

"Thankfully Ben Wishaw has come back to this film too!" Said Barbara, who was delighted to follow Ben's second pitch, said, "Q is the best part of this film, with Bond. There is a lot of involvement, "he said. "This work has a scene of Q and a cat," he continued, saying that the Q love cats whose existence was revealed in the previous work will also appear.

Daniel sometimes suggested to graduate from the series, but Barbara told me that in the 25th episode I finally played Bond again, "Daniel is a really great bond, so to make him come back to me "I did that," smiled and looked back. The question is whether this work is produced as a complete series of the Daniel edition Bond series, "Because what Daniel has played is the bond played over the past 4 works, it may be true to some extent. But, a new story." It seems like a standing position of a single independent film.

Participation of writers of what people have been reported, but the " 007 / Casino Royale ," " 007 / Quantum of Solace ," " Skyfall ", "Specter" and worked on Daniel version bond Zensaku Neal Purvis & Robert・ Wade wrote first, and it seems that coach Carrie Fukunaga, who is also a scriptwriter, was added there. Barbara said, "And Carrie pulled in Scott Z. Burns (" Bourn's Arteitam ") and then we brought in Phoebe Waller-Bridge (" Fleabag Freebag "actress and screenwriter)" The

The interview was held three days later when shooting started (April 25), but the screenplay was said to be on an ongoing basis. Michael said, "I have struggled for a while, but at this stage I have found a good story. There are a lot of twists and surprises. With Bond's house, we actually built his house, where he is sailing and relaxing away from work, but those days of peace don't last long. It was said. (Editorial department, Haruka Ichikawa)

The 25th movie "007" will be released in Japan in 2020

In case some people's devices can't translate the text
    “Because what Daniel has played is the bond played over the past 4 works, it may be true to some extent. But, a new story." It seems like a standing position of a single independent film.

This was the most interesting takeaway for me. It sounds like hopefully this will be at least somewhat standaloneish.