Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Gattaca (1997)

Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman and Jude Law star in this rather complex but intruiging film about genetic perfection. Slow paced but interesting nonetheless.
    ....the last movie I watched was .."In the Line of Fire"...with Clint Eastwood....
    blockquote>Quoting sohot2:
    ....the last movie I watched was .."In the Line of
    Fire"...with Clint Eastwood....

Cracking film. Clint Eastwood makes even a bad film moderately watchable :)
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 303
    Quoting BAIN123:
    Gattaca (1997)

Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman and Jude Law
    star in this rather complex but intruiging film about genetic perfection. Slow
    paced but interesting nonetheless.
    I watched that only a few weeks back, i liked it, but a bit slow at times, not a film that i'd watch twice in the same month though :/ I'd recommend Minority Report to anyone who liked Gattaca. :')

..........................................................................................

Harry Potter and theDeathly Hallows Part 1:
    Saw it at the cinemas when it was first publically released.
    The DVD was released in the UK today so i decied to buy it to watch again.
    The film is really good in my opinion, not the best, the film could have been done a bit better, especially by adding two of the deleted scenes back in, and making their time in the woods, more enjoyable. I like this film overall and i hope that the second part is better, and not just a film of explosions, magic and battles.

9/10 :)
    Bain 123... also John Malkovich was superb playing opposite Clint Eastwood in that movie...John Malkovich in the movie RED with Bruce Willis was also good....
  • Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth (1992)
    Photobucket
    Defying nearly any attempt at a genuine critical analysis, this is one of those films where you just have to embrace the cheese. It's amazing to think that this movie came out one year before Jurassic Park -- if it weren't for the cars and computers I would have thought it was released in the 1960's.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    The Magnificent Seven
    Very good. I enjoyed it very much. But I have to say I liked Sergio Leone's Westerns more.

To Catch A Thief
    People say it's not one of Hitchcock's best films. I can't have a say on that, as I've seen only one other Hitchcock film (North By Northwest). Maybe NBN is better, but I enjoeyd To Catch A Thief very much. I love Cary Grant, he's so elegant, suave, charming and funny at the same time. He and the stunningly beautiful Grace Kelly made a wonderful couple.

The A Team
    A fine example of a good modern action film. All fun.
    The Incredible Hulk (2008)
    Better than the eric bana film but still not good enough.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Just watched the Liam Neeson film 'Taken' (2008), I thought it was really good despite a few unnecessary action sequences. Neeson is compelling to watch and the gritty realism and Parisian scenes are reminiscent of 'The Bourne Identity' with slight shades of 'Hostel', and while not in the same class as the former film it's still worth a viewing with some great nasty shocks (pun intended).
    Buried (2010)

Some of the most effective horror films have used the less-is-more concept. None more so than Buried, a film which famously takes place ENTIRELY in a dark coffin. Perhaps unsurprisingly for those who are familiar with Rear Window or Rope, there is more than an echo of Alfred Hitchcock in the whole production - starting from the opening titles.
    We begin literally in the coffin as Paul Conroy (Ryan Renyolds) wakes up. He has no idea how or why he got there but must (somehow) find a way out. Those who are claustrophobic may be turned off in the first five minutes.
    The straight forward set up is given a topical, modern context as we learn more about how and why our protagonist became trapped. As he tries desperately to reach the authorities, beaucracy takes centre stage and the sheer insignificance of Paul’s life is apparent in the larger picture. This starts off in a fairly humorous manner (constantly being put on hold) yet becomes far more poignant and devastating as the film goes on. A couple of very emotional sequences reflect his complete and utter helplessness.
    As political comment the Buried works. However as an intense nail biter, Buried towers thanks to its solid story and terrific performance from Renyolds.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    I watched these 3 films today:

Your Highness 3/5
    Scream 4 3/5
    Hanna 4/5
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Quoting BAIN123:
    Buried (2010)

Some of the most effective horror films
    have used the less-is-more concept. None more so than Buried, a film which
    famously takes place ENTIRELY in a dark coffin. Perhaps unsurprisingly for those
    who are familiar with Rear Window or Rope, there is more than an echo of Alfred
    Hitchcock in the whole production - starting from the opening titles.
    We
    begin literally in the coffin as Paul Conroy (Ryan Renyolds) wakes up. He has no
    idea how or why he got there but must (somehow) find a way out. Those who are
    claustrophobic may be turned off in the first five minutes.
    The straight
    forward set up is given a topical, modern context as we learn more about how and
    why our protagonist became trapped. As he tries desperately to reach the
    authorities, beaucracy takes centre stage and the sheer insignificance of Paul’s
    life is apparent in the larger picture. This starts off in a fairly humorous
    manner (constantly being put on hold) yet becomes far more poignant and
    devastating as the film goes on. A couple of very emotional sequences reflect
    his complete and utter helplessness.
    As political comment the Buried works.
    However as an intense nail biter, Buried towers thanks to its solid story and
    terrific performance from Renyolds.
    You know what BAIN, I don't know if I could cope with this. I would be wriggling around gasping for air. I'm not claustrophobic as such, but it's a terrifying idea and even the relatively short sequence in KillBill was too much for me.

I'm a wuss ;-)
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Quoting NicNac: You know what BAIN, I don't know if I could cope with this. I would be wriggling
    around gasping for air. I'm not claustrophobic as such, but it's a terrifying
    idea and even the relatively short sequence in KillBill was too much for me.

I'm a wuss ;)
    Well then, 90 minutes entirely in the coffin probably won't be your cup of tea lol. Also the conclusion to Buried isn't as ludicrous/OTT as the sequence in KB II :)

I've also just seen 2 more movies. The cult animated film Heavy Metal from 1981 (brilliantly bizzare) and the re-make of Arthur with Russell Brand (ok romcom fluff though Helen Mirren was v good).
    Bladerunner.

I saw it for the first time 2 years ago (the theatrical release) and hated it. Saw the director's cut yesterday and liked it more, but still don't particularly like the film all too much. It was definitely more interesting and the story behind all the different cuts is pretty crazy, but it's still not what I hoped it would be when I first sat down to watch it.

2.5/5
    The Fourth Protocol (1987)

Saw this for the first time the other night. Michael Caine and James Bond star in this old-fashioned, unfussy cold war thriller adapted from the Fredrick Forsythe novel.

The plot concerns a conspiracy to detonate an atomic bomb near a US naval airbase (sound familiar? lol). Juicy no-nonsence espionage stuff.

Michael Caine is on great form as always but the real highlight of the film is...Pierce Brosnan :D. Any idiot who says he can't act or shouldn't have been James Bond has obviously not seen this film, as he's excellent as the handsome, quiet, yet utterly rutheless and determined Russian spy.

While the film may not exactly offer much in the way of originality its an exciting and tense thriller. I really enjoyed it! :)

8/10

Quoting BAIN123: The Fourth Protocol (1987)
    I really enjoyed it as well. Watching movies like this make me wish Brosnan had gotten scripts that had a better written character of Bond.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2011 Posts: 13,882
    Crimson (1976)

Jack (Naschy) is shot in the head, and given a brain transplant. The replacement brain is that of a rival criminal known as The Sadist. Jack soon starts to loose his grip on sanity, and becomes more Psychotic, to makes matters worse, The Sadists own men turn up looking for their boss.

I'd read from those more versed in Naschy's work, that this is far from one of his best. Though I thought it was ok, Naschy doesn't get to do much, he's off screen for most of the film, and when he is on screen, most of the time, he's unconscious recovering from the operation.

Paul Naschy
    1. Panic Beats (1983)
    2. Crimson (1976)
    Butterfly on a Wheel (2007)

After being impressed with TFP I thought I'd give this a try. I must say I felt rather disappointed afterwards :(

The plot concerns a seemingly happy, sucessful couple (Gerald Butler and Maria Bello) who are suddenly blackmailed by a mysterious gunman (Pierce Brosnan) into destroying everything they have worked for.

The film, despite its rather impressive production, has a made-for-tv or straight to dvd feel to it (I think it did go straight to dvd). However the biggest problems lie with it's two main stars.

Gerald Butler, whilst certainly a good tough guy, has very little charisma or likeability onscreen. He also hams it up to the maximum and we rarely feel any sympathy towards him.

Secondly (and it really does pain me to say this) Pierce Brosnan can't do the thuggish, unsophisticated gunman that well.

Part of the reason Brosnan's performance in TFP was so effective was because he still had the clean-cut charm about him. He played up to the sophisticated, eligant gentleman yet still had that cold, determined ruthlessness underneeth. This time he seems to be making a consicious effort to rid himself of that image without an ounce of irony or comedy (which was why his performance in The Matador was more sucessful).

It perhaps would have been better if the two roles had been the other way round, with Butler as the villain and Brosnan as the victim.

So, overall a fairly bland thriller which has a good set up (and indeed a pretty decent conclusion), yet feels somewhat by-the-numbers.

4/10
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 423
    I'll copy my rant from another forum...apologies for the...er...colourful language.

Remember Me: 3/10

Gah...this isn't just any old crap rom-com about salvation and redemption. It's a crap rom-com about salvation and redemption including Robert Pattinson trying to look emotional. I only watched it because I'd heard it was powerful, and because Pierce Brosnan was in it. Brosnan was mediocre, as was most of the acting on display, but powerful? Gtfo.

The twist at the end (incidentally, it's that the entire story took place in summer 2001 and Pattinson's character dies in 9/11 at the very end...ya rly) was so painfully tasteless and ill-judged that it made me want to throw a book at the screen. And when I say that, I mean the Encyclopedia Britannica, the Bible and all of Jordan's autobiographies. It just felt hurried and tacked-on, and happened far too quickly to have any kind of feasible emotional impact. 'So, here were are at the end of this rather average rom-com, with R-Patz himself staring inanely into the distance from the top floor of a skyscraper and suddenly we hear people screaming...oops, it's a plane. Wait, what happened? The screen's gone black?'

Okay, that's my rant over. If you're going to watch it, just stop it before the last scene. Until then it was a boring but ultimately bearable romantic film that was certainly better than P.S. I Love You and the horrific abomination that was Gigli, but now it's a film that's only memorable for an utterly **** climax. Thanks for reading, if you actually read this rant :)

Minor editing by NicNac
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2011 Posts: 15,686
    I thought Brosnan was great in 'Remember Me'... 'great' seems a terribly misplaced word in the same sentence as that horrible pile of rubbish the film was. I mean seriously, Brosnan has, what, 10 minutes of screentime, and whenever he pops up, he simply steals every scene from the 2 main characters. Pattinson looked like a clown in the fancy restaurant, while Brosnan totally owned the scene and wiped the floor with him. A film I will never watch again. Shame Brosnan appeared in such appalling nonsence.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The House Of Usher

Roger Coreman presents Vincent Price in a Poe based film. How can that not work? ;;)

4/5

Deep Blue Sea

Because I'm the only person who likes a Renny Harlin film. Sue me. :P

3.5/5

Akira

Remains one of the greatest anime achievements ever. Puts everything by Dreamworks and Pixar to shame, IMO. The manga, however, is denser and more 'complete'. But since Akira was mostly based on the manga as it had been finished at that point, that can hardly be held against the film. Hopefully they don't mess it up with the upcoming live action film... Hopefully.

5/5
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited April 2011 Posts: 1,986
    African Cats

Another outstanding documentary by Disneynature following Earth and Oceans, African Cats follows two families of felines in the Maasai Mara National Reserve in Kenya. Breathtaking images and narrated by Samuel L Jackson, viewers are acquainted with lioness Layla and her daughter Mara, living amongst a pack of lionesses and their cubs under the protection of king Fang. On the other side of the river, cheetah mother Sita raising her newborn cubs. Cheetahs living alone have different challenges raising their cubs than a pack of lionesses, but when younger lions challenge the king lion's pack, all lion cubs risk death under a new ruler.

The documentary is very kid friendly, with very little graphic violence and blood, but still manages to show the challenges that mothers face raising their young and training for adulthood. This is a definite buy for me, very enjoyable experience.

9/10
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2011 Posts: 15,686
    Quoting Luds: Disnaynature
    :(|)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Dimi, I haven't seen that one yet, but my favourite Price film has to be Theatre Of Blood.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    That, of course, is a classic, Major. I love most of the Price films, my favourite being The House Of Wax.
    I've got a couple of Price films on DVD, but I haven't seen them all yet (The House Of Wax included). Too many films, too little time. ;-)
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    I watched The Hunt For Red October on DVD today.

First time I seen the movie again in about 10 years.

Sean Connery is still Da Man and the movie is still Good!!

=D>
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 212
    127 Hours

This one certainly earned its Best Picture nomination thanks just about entirely to James Franco's excellent performance. I'd never really been a fan of Franco's up to this point (I've always found him talented, although a bit overrated, and never really cared for the movies he's appeared in), but he really stepped up his game in this one, carrying a film entirely on his shoulders.

4/5
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    edited May 2011 Posts: 357
    Leon aka The Professional (130+ minute version)
    I watched the shorter version some time ago and it felt like something was missing, in fact a lot was missing
    The shorter version feels clipped and hurried, the flow of the longer one seems more natural
    The story also becomes far more controversial…

once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, there was a thread discussing another Luc Besson movie called "Taken"
    and some folk felt there were disturbing undertones to the relationship between the father and the daughter
    which I personally found to be ridiculous

with Leon there are genuine ground for concern
    in the shorter version I noted that Natalie Portman was often dressed in a sexually provocative way which I felt was inappropriate, however the story never really went anywhere with it
    in the longer version she actively pursues the Reno's character and in a pivotal scene (which was cut following adverse audience reaction) she directly asks Leon to initiate her into sex
    the saving grace is that Leon himself does have a moral compass in this regard and never shows the slightest sign of having any sexual intentions toward the girl
    as played by Jean Reno, Leon comes to care for the girl as a daughter and show his love without any sexual connotations
    not that that will stop paedophiles and the like from watching this film for all the wrong reasons

so in that regard the film walks the tightrope successfully in my view, however in other areas it's grasp is more shaky
    a mafia don is presented as Leon's kindly benefactor while the police get to be represented by Gary Oldman in psycho mode
    Leon the unquestioning killer is eventually persuaded to teach the girl the "tricks of the trade" and takes her with him on his murderous missions
    we are supposed to assume all his victims are Scumbags, but for all Leon knows or cares they could be Saints
    but I guess that's the heart of the whole story, Leon the killer with the empty life learning to care for someone again
    the selfless love of a parent, rather than the selfish love of a sweetheart

it also works well as an action film, Portman wants revenge on Oldman for murdering her brother
    Reno is initially a disinterested bystander who is slowly drawn into her world and rediscovers a purpose for living
    Jean Reno is cool, Gary Oldman is OTT and Luc Besson knows how to direct action

the extras were interesting viewing as well, as we meet Besson's girlfriend of the time, who saw herself as the inspiration for the Portman character
    a girl who preferred the company of older men, she met Besson when she was 12 and with someone else (she doesn't say how old he was)
    and fell in love with Besson when she was 15 (I'm not sure what the age of consent is in France, but they must have been sailing close to the wind)
    but apparently this is all par for the course in France? (I googled it and the age of consent is 15, so they just scraped in)
    I imagine some would class Besson along side Polanski then, although personally I can make the distinction
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    Les Aventures Extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec

by Luc Besson

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1179025/

4.75/5

I hope there is a sequel