No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited April 2019 Posts: 17,241
    antovolk wrote: »

Looks like it. The name is mentioned in this article too:
    https://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/a/pL1vdj/svensken-spelar-skurk-i-nya-bond-filmen

Also:
    it looks like he'll be traveling to Jamaica for his first scenes in a week:

- I don't really know what I'm supposed to do, but I think it's some action scenes.

- They don't tell me that much. It's like working for MI6 for real, everything is secret.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    At the end of the day I think that their strategy of continuing the tradition of a live broadcast, paired with doing on-the-spot interviews and having them then go on these morning shows, has paid off. It's weird to think that just 48 hours ago we were half-joking that EON were severely antiquated.

Something else that I'm glad to see is that the new actors they've chosen are open to social media. It was something I got frustrated at with SP's cast because we never got to hear from them unless they went on a talk-show and that was rare. Obviously we won't be getting too much info from their SM, but merely a behind the scenes candid shot is better than nothing and is great PR. I think the hiring of these new actors, intentionally or not, will greatly help the film's BO from a marketing perspective. I was going through some of the actor's tweets and it already helping to bring in audiences who might have previously passed on B25. Now I'm not sure that this is the audience JB wants, because they're bandwagon fans who are just interested in a personality after all, but they'll certainly help boost the film's success. Malek is the epitome of this.

So yeah, this is a step in the right direction for EON.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Just watched old interviews with DC for SP and SF. He definitely looks better now, but I can't put my finger on why. Slightly fuller in the face (less gaunt) ?

Maybe because it's the start of production and he isn't worn out.
  • RC7RC7
    Have to say, I really don’t think Ana would make that sort of mistake. Paloma feels more apt given her heritage - it’s a Latin name.
    More from Baz - apparently it's Lashana's character, not Ana's, that's Paloma (supposedly key to the story - and I guess there's a reason she's with Craig and Cary in the interviews) and Ana's is called Nomi (she 'helps through part of the journey')
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6961695/amp/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-never-Jane-Bond-says-Barbara-Broccoli.html

Ana says rather definitively that her character is called Paloma.

Unless she didn't get the memo or misread the script, I'll take her word for it. The alternative is that she thinks she's playing Lashana's role which is awkward.......Therefore, I think it's more likely that Baz made an error at this stage.

i'm a little deflated that Ana is supposedly someone "who helps Bond on part of his mission". Please let this be a misdirect. I don't want her to be in the film for ten minutes and then she disappears. I really don't want another Severine.

I think Ana has all the credentials to be another Fiona Vople/Xenia Onatopp figure. Something the series has been missing. However, it does look as though henchman duties will be filled by Dali Bennaslah.............

We need a great femme fatale! it's been too long!

ana-de-armas-gq-0816-04.jpg

However, Ana is very busy and may not be able to spend too long shooting Bond 25. On the plus side, she's lined up a lot of terrific projects that suggests she's a real star on the rise - beyond just being eye-candy.

She's going to play Marilyn Monroe in a biopic for Andrew Dominick and just worked with Danny Boyle! Not to mention having worked with Rian Johnson and now Cary Fukunaga. She's clearly talented.

In other news..............Jeffrey Wright seems happy to be returning. For me, his announcement was the highlight of yesterday:

Billy Magnussen also left a comment on Instagram!

I also saw an interview with Rami Malek on ITV where he speaks about the delays helping with his schedule issues.
    Getafix wrote: »
    More from Baz - apparently it's Lashana's character, not Ana's, that's Paloma (supposedly key to the story - and I guess there's a reason she's with Craig and Cary in the interviews) and Ana's is called Nomi (she 'helps through part of the journey')
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6961695/amp/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-never-Jane-Bond-says-Barbara-Broccoli.html

Didn't Rog announce he was leaving after MR and stayed for three more. It's almost become a Bond tradition for the lead to do this tease routine over whether he'll come back for another.

Yes. He did that for every movie after Moonraker. His original contract was only for 3 films. Do we know if he teased to leave after TSWLM? I know he started to tease to leave after MR.

If the plot is left open ended for Craig to return then he might come back.
    Also the fact that 1 more film will equal Connery's 6 might sway him,as long as its no longer than a 2 year wait maximum for BOND 26.

I must admit he did look good yesterday and was genuinely excited about everything,i have not seen that in him before - its great to see.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    fjdinardo wrote: »

Didn't Rog announce he was leaving after MR and stayed for three more. It's almost become a Bond tradition for the lead to do this tease routine over whether he'll come back for another.

Yes. He did that for every movie after Moonraker. His original contract was only for 3 films. Do we know if he teased to leave after TSWLM? I know he started to tease to leave after MR.

Though back then the films rolled out every two years. A different time.
    I'm still really pumped about all we learned yesterday.
    Ana...wow. She's a stunner. I too hope she has more screentime than an extended cameo. Also hope Leiter gets more screentime. Wright is one of the best Leiter's we've had, he should be used well.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Also the fact that 1 more film will equal Connery's 6 might sway him,as long as its no longer than a 2 year wait maximum for BOND 26.

I must admit he did look good yesterday and was genuinely excited about everything,i have not seen that in him before - its great to see.

Given the money he makes from Bond, you'd imagine him sitting like this during the interview! :-D

giphy.gif

I know I would!
    Benny wrote: »

Ana...wow. She's a stunner. I too hope she has more screentime than an extended cameo. Also hope Leiter gets more screentime. Wright is one of the best Leiter's we've had, he should be used well.

Wright is a good Leiter. I don't like the actors political views but on screen he is great. Tho I still have a special place in my heart for David Hedeson has Felix.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 3,160
    David Arnold live on Scala Radio:

"There's zero news (regarding who's doing the score), but my pencil is always sharp for Bond."
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Given the money he makes from Bond, you'd imagine him sitting like this during the interview! :-D

giphy.gif

I know I would!

Haha very true =))

Wright is a good Leiter. I don't like the actors political views but on screen he is great. Tho I still have a special place in my heart for David Hedeson has Felix.

At least they are keeping Felix consistant with only one actor playing him in 3 films rather than changing him every time,i hate that they did that.

Although dumping the greedy Jack Lord was the right thing to do.
    Zekidk wrote: »

"There's zero news (regarding who's doing the score), but my pencil is always sharp for Bond."

We HAVE to get Arnold back,he is the best since the great John Barry.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

At least they are keeping Felix consistant with only one actor playing him in 3 films rather than changing him every time,i hate that they did that.

Although dumping the greedy Jack Lord was the right thing to do.
    Zekidk wrote: »

We HAVE to get Arnold back,he is the best since the great John Barry.
    How right you are, Bazza!
  • SonOfSean2SonOfSean2 United Kingdom
    This has to be Daniel Craig's final outing. He pretty much said so yesterday: "I think it's time to let someone else have a go." Bond is bigger than one actor, also, the circus around Craig staying or leaving was pretty exhausting. And, the 5 year gap between Bond movies is far too long - and I think that was partly down to EON / MGM courting Craig for too damn long. Even Mendes thought Spectre was Craigs' swansong, but i guess the offer they made Craig was too good to turn down.
    But anyway, I'm glad he's back for one more movie (he looks great) but after this, it's time for a new Bond.
    I really like how Cary Fukunaga presents himself in interviews. He's very confident, seems to know Bond and what he represents. I'm very happy he's on directorial duties for this film. I'm really hoping that we're in for a treat.
  • SonOfSean2SonOfSean2 United Kingdom

This is Craig's final movie. No question. He said so himself.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    @Pierce2Daniel That's not the case at all, @antovolk you've got that wrong. The article does state that:

"British-born actress Lashana Lynch, who made her mark in Fast Girls and Captain Marvel, has been cast in the role of Nomi, which Broccoli described as 'very key to the story'."

"She added that Cuban-born actress Ana de Armas would also appear; playing a character called Paloma 'who helps Bond through part of the journey', across locations including Jamaica, Norway, Italy and London."
    SonOfSean2 wrote: »
    This has to be Daniel Craig's final outing. He pretty much said so yesterday: "I think it's time to let someone else have a go." Bond is bigger than one actor, also, the circus around Craig staying or leaving was pretty exhausting. And, the 5 year gap between Bond movies is far too long - and I think that was partly down to EON / MGM courting Craig for too damn long. Even Mendes thought Spectre was Craigs' swansong, but i guess the offer they made Craig was too good to turn down.
    But anyway, I'm glad he's back for one more movie (he looks great) but after this, it's time for a new Bond.

What's to say after Bond25 EON wont do the same, and maybe Craig will accept. Too early to say methinks.

Denbigh wrote: »
    "She added that Cuban-born actress Ana de Armas would also appear; playing a character called Paloma 'who helps Bond through part of the journey', across locations including Jamaica, Norway, Italy and London."

I wonder if Norway will feature as Norway or not.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    As much as many of us would like to see Arnold return, you'd think if he was on board he'd of heard of something by now.
    @Pierce2Daniel That's not the case at all, @antovolk you've got that wrong. The article does state that:

"British-born actress Lashana Lynch, who made her mark in Fast Girls and Captain Marvel, has been cast in the role of Nomi, which Broccoli described as 'very key to the story'."

Baz must have fixed it up then as when I read it this morning it was definitely the other way round
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2019 Posts: 5,834

Baz must have fixed it up then as when I read it this morning it was definitely the other way round
    Oh yeah that must be the case :) Anyway, I'm liking the sound of these names.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    As much as many of us would like to see Arnold return, you'd think if he was on board he'd of heard of something by now.

Christoph Waltz will write the score.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Anything yet on GMA this morning?
    I can't help but feel that it's a bit of a waste not using Goldeneye as Bonds home in Jamaica. I think that would be a cool little easter egg. Heck, why not even go as far as actually calling it Goldeneye. I've seen a few people going nuts over the built set, but I really can't see what's so great about it. It's really only a hut and some water...
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Christoph Waltz will write the score.
    "It was me, James. All me. The author of all your painful music."

And thus, Thomas Newman was revealed as his Spectre operative.
    From what I gleaned from the PR yesterday -

1. Still disappointed to learn the story isn't lifted or based around a Fleming novel, although the sounds of this plot leads me to think this could be a modern take on Shatterhand and YOLT (here's hoping).

2. I want to see Arnold return for the soundtrack. He's the best thing since Barry, no one else will do. If Boyle had stayed on, no doubt Arnold would have been on the job, having worked together for the Olympics.

3. Nice to see Goldeneye being used. I visited there a few years ago and its a special place for Bond fans. I hope Jamaica gets used effectively.

4. The cast all looks very young, except Bond and Leiter. Not sure how this will play out.

5. We didn't learn much yesterday, other than the whole thing looked slightly amateurish, Craig still look awkward being interviewed, Babs looks hotter than ever, and the director looked more like Bond than Craig did. I've enjoyed Craig's tenure, but if this turns about to be another personal mission ( excluding Shatterhand, which I'm all for), CR will be seen as the highlight of his era, and it all went downhill after that.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited April 2019 Posts: 3,018
    Greetings from Sweden, all fellow spies and JB-hardcore fans! My first post here :-)

Found this:

David Dencik
    (Character name Waldo? in Bond 25, and perhaps playing the kidnapped scientist?)
    Born in Stockholm Sweden, and then moved to Denmark with his family. His breakthrough role was in 2005 playing the real life swedish racist hitman/laserman murderer John Ausonius, who went on a killing spree in Stockholm 1991-92, only targeting immigrants. One dead, then wounded. David Denciks portrayal of the killer was very chilling so he can really play a villain if it comes down to that in Bond 25 although I'm betting "Waldo" is the scientist in trouble.

Noteworthy: He starred alongside Daniel Craig in the english version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Currently he's starring in the Netflix Nordic miniserie Quicksand (google it) playing a criminal defense lawyer (character name Peder Sand) to a girl accused of masshooting in a swedish school.

Plotline
    Also I was thinking about the storyline with the kidnapped scientist. Could the writers have been reading about the morrocoan scientist Mordechai Vanunu, also known as John Crossman and taking inspiration/deviced a plot from that? From Wiki:

"Mordechai Vanunu is an Israeli former nuclear technician and peace activist who, citing his opposition to weapons of mass destruction, revealed details of Israel's nuclear weapons program to the British press in 1986. He was subsequently lured to Italy by the Israeli intelligence agency Mossad, where he was drugged and abducted. He was secretly transported to Israel and ultimately convicted in a trial that was held behind closed doors."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordechai_Vanunu

Combine the kidnapping-part with a "mysterious villain armed with dangerous new technology." in the Bond 25 plotline which lead to the second speculation part:

Havana syndrome
    Remember the mysterious illnesses the staff at the US embassy in Cuba suffered in 2017 (the bold part):

The US embassy in Havana more than halved its staff in 2017 when diplomats complained of headaches, nausea and other ailments after hearing penetrating noises in their homes and nearby hotels. The mysterious wave of illness fuelled speculation that the staff had been targeted by an acoustic weapon. It was an explanation that appeared to gain weight when an audio recording of a persistent, high-pitched drone made by US personnel in Cuba was released to the Associated Press. But a fresh analysis of the audio recording has revealed what scientists in the UK and the US now believe is the true source of the piercing din: it is the song of the Indies short-tailed cricket, known formally as Anurogryllus celerinictus.

https://theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/06/sonic-attack-on-us-embassy-in-havana-could-have-been-crickets-say-scientists

https://nytimes.com/2018/12/12/world/americas/cuba-embassy-attacks.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havana_syndrome

Some form of sonic attack device/weapon developed by the kidnapped scientist, and now the main villain Rami Maleks character wanna use this in some way?